Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Very harsh and unfair I would say. I quite like his manner these days. His temperament has improved a lot over the past few months and he seems to be channeling his aggression positively on court. He's very laid back in his interviews and has a dry sense of humour. Despite most of the crowd rooting for Nadal tonight - although partly due to them wanting a fifth set - I understand the American public quite like Murray.

From comments I've been reading they do. Americans never seem to be great at rooting for the underdog, but many of them will also see Murray as a relatively unknown quantity purely because he's not done much in the Grandslams previously. People are now beginning to look at Nadal and Murray as a changing of the guard, hopefully he cements that opinion by beating Federer tomorrow night. :D

To be fair, if he weren't Scottish, Andy Murray would be up there with Will Carling and Shane Warne as one of the least likeable professional athletes. He's a complete cock, and I'm sure it won't just be in America where the locals back anyone who is playing him. The churlish press conferences do nothing to win support either.

Nowt wrong with athletes being a bit moody and abraisive...as long as they don't go down the Jamie Carragher route I'm not bothered. You need some moany individuals to go with the laid-back ones...that's life

I think it's wonderful that people can call Murray a 'total cock' without knowing the slightest thing about the guy. He is intense on court and whenever he is interviewed after the match he is very serious, as SF says this attitude is part of what makes him the player he is. Any time I've heard him speak away from the tennis court or on other issues he seems very laid back, although still has the most boring voice known to man. He is incredibly bloody minded, we saw it with his sacking his coach - generally regarded as one of the best in the world - for someone completely unproven at that level, his general relationship with the British press, his refusal to stop the agonising drop shots etc. but the guy is now comfortably number 4 in the world and has a US Open final to look forward to tomorrow, so his decisions haven't been half bad so far.

I think it's wonderful that people can call Murray a 'total cock' without knowing the slightest thing about the guy. He is intense on court and whenever he is interviewed after the match he is very serious, as SF says this attitude is part of what makes him the player he is. Any time I've heard him speak away from the tennis court or on other issues he seems very laid back, although still has the most boring voice known to man. He is incredibly bloody minded, we saw it with his sacking his coach - generally regarded as one of the best in the world - for someone completely unproven at that level, his general relationship with the British press, his refusal to stop the agonising drop shots etc. but the guy is now comfortably number 4 in the world and has a US Open final to look forward to tomorrow, so his decisions haven't been half bad so far.

Absolutely. :thumsup2

Guest el bawbag

:thumsup2

Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring you Kenny Dalglish and Gordon Strachan - both a pair of at time abraisive fellows. Both Scottish greats.

Can we not for once see a potential champion to be in our numbers and support him through it all?

C'mon the Murray! :):D

Also forgot to add, Murray can't catch Djokovic, he is 4th no matter what, largely down to a 1st round exit at the Aussie Open at the start of the year when Djokovic made the final, and Djokovic has the slight edge over the rest of the year too. If he wins the tournament he will be a bit over 1000 points behind Djokovic (30% of his points total to put that in context) which he won't make up this year, but that gap should hopefully stay similar until the Aussie Open where Murray has a lot of scope to make up ground on Djokovic at least.

Well said. These traits are part of his success, and to judge him solely based on TV interviews, etc, is wrong.

Well done Murray.

By the way, anyone who wants to see the final for free, log onto:

http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/

Edited by Muggy

Can we not for once see a potential champion to be in our numbers and support him through it all?

Jim Pansy has just exploded in indignation. Everyone knows that if a successful sportsman emerges, we have to crush them and bring them down to our level.

Jim Pansy has just exploded in indignation. Everyone knows that if a successful sportsman emerges, we have to crush them and bring them down to our level.

The GarrowhillClyde will be finding this most amusing. The GarrowhillClyde predicts that great things will come from young master Murray. :D:P

To be fair, if he weren't Scottish, Andy Murray would be up there with Will Carling and Shane Warne as one of the least likeable professional athletes. He's a complete cock, and I'm sure it won't just be in America where the locals back anyone who is playing him. The churlish press conferences do nothing to win support either.

"to be fair" you are are a sad geek,andy murray is scottish and he is world class,carling and warne were part of average TEAMS, murray is an individual who will in the next couple of years join mcenroe,sampras and federer as one of greatest players ever to play tennis!! bet you wish you were half the "cock" he is :lol:

Out of interest, where did people watch the game?

I was in New York, at Flushing Meadows, watching it live. In the best seats, with Annabel Croft sitting beside me with a bottle of chilled champagne. I can confirm that she really is as dirty as has been speculated elsewhere on P'n'B.

My private jet has just got me home. It was quick because of the time difference between here and New York.

Realistically, I watched it on Sky like everyone else.

Sheesh! Hasn't the quality of debate on P'n'B has gone down again. :D:D:D