Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

It's up there. You'd have won a whole £1.10.

Nadal was 11/8 before play last night. He might have bet him then. I thought that was poor value for a guy down 2 sets, even with a break mind you.

Personally I dont care what other poster think of Murray.

If they dont like him then thats their perogative.

I will be sitting cheering him on tonight though.

It was a fantastic achievement to knock Nadal out and some of the play from Murray was absolutely stunning.

The crowd were cheering for Nadal as they thought he'd won a point a few times but Murray somehow managed to make some fantastic returns and Nadal just didnt have an answer.

If he could win the final it would be an unbelievable achievement.

I like the slight bit of arrogance he has, its not too over the top and he really works for everything he gets.

GET IN THERE MURRAY! :D

I would agree with everyone who says that Murray is a torn faced b*****d, but it didn't stop me watching his game against Nadal and being totally wrapped up in it. The tennis, particularly from Murray over the two days was stunning.

I'll attempt to watch his match tonight, but I doubt I'll make it to the end, what with work tomorrow and everything. Unless Murray wraps it up in staright sets, which would mean that I might just see it all ;)

He could be the first male British winner of a Grand Slam since 1936. :o

That really is a shocking statistic.

You would think Britain could produce one decent tennis player since then capable of winning a slam.

Maybe we just have...............

You would think Britain could produce one decent tennis player since then capable of winning a slam.

Tennis isn't *that* popular. Before the rise of Murray it was usually denounced on this very board as essentially a game for posh English sorts

Edited by Millfield Marksman

Nadal is reputedly the nicest guy on tour. No one has a bad word to say about him and there are many stories about how good a guy he is.

I have no idea if Murray is popular with the other players or not.

What's conceited about Federer?

His jackets are just a nod to tradition. He is like Rafe from The Apprentice - just class.

I do like Nadal but if it's basic niceness then is Murray not a nice guy too? Maybe they didn't show the full after match interview but I expected Nadal to give Murray a lot of credit.

Federer does exude class but I maintain if Murray ever tried it, even several titles down the line(here's hoping), he'd be shot down in flames by the media and probably a fair few on here.

Maybe we just have...............

We don't really have the coaching infrastructure or the climate to foster a good tennis set-up. It's not the most accessible sport as many courts are owned by private clubs and the concil ones invariably strewn with dog shit.

But if Andy Murray continues his meteoric rise, it could spark something of a tennis boom with kids taking up the sport in droves. That would create a market.

Germany was never really crazy about tennis before Becker and Graf came along but it really took off over there when that pair dominated the world scene.

Germany was never really crazy about tennis before Becker and Graf came along but it really took off over there when that pair dominated the world scene.

And yet since them, and Michael Stich at the same time, they've done very little either.

The highest ranked German male currently is Nicolas Keifer who is 20th in the world and going backwards career-wise though he was half decent for a while, as was Tommy Haas (currently 39th). Rainer Schuettler at 36 got about half of his points in one glory run at Wimbledon, otherwise he'd be around about 100 in the world and they have a couple of other names at the lower end of the top 100.

The highest ranking German female is Sabine Lisicki (no, I've never heard of her either!) who, at 63 in the world, is only 8 places above the highest ranked British female, Anne Keothavong. There is only one other German lady in the top 100.

To be honest, over the last decade or so, have Germany really done any more than Britain on the world tennis scene?

I'm really surprised at how important it seems to be to some people how"nice" or otherwise Murray is. Henman was a nice guy who never won. Rusedski was Canadian, nice guy, never won anything.

Murray is conceivably the best tennis player in Britain THIS CENTURY!!! Frankly, I couldn't care less if he eats dwarves live on stage.

C'mon Andy Murray!

We don't really have the coaching infrastructure or the climate to foster a good tennis set-up. It's not the most accessible sport as many courts are owned by private clubs and the concil ones invariably strewn with dog shit.

Whereas in Serbia they have many top of the range facilities available to the general public. ;)

One of the things Murray has been most vocal about is the attitude of promising British youngsters, saying they basically aren't prepared to put in the work required. He has been very honest about it in general and said that for the last few years he hadn't maybe been working as hard as he could but now he is getting his head down and really getting somewhere. Changing tennis here is less about improving facilities and infrastructure than it is improving attitudes, which is what is really needed.

Henman was a nice guy who never won.

Doesn't matter - he was still the best British tennis player to come along in decades and inspired a generation. I find it slightly distasteful the way some sections of the media harp on about Henman's lack of trophies instead of admiring his undoubted talent.