Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Dimitrov will be some player in a few years IMO. Just needs to cut out the daft errors. He seems to have the game to be near the top in 5 years or so.

Another point on Dimitrov; he appears to have much more game at this stage in his career than either Tomic or Raonic have. More variety, better hands and movement, and better shot selection.

Seppi is a bizarre player, he never, ever shows emotion on court whether he is bagelling someone or being bagelled himself, highly unorthodox for an Italian. He's also no where near as aggressive as Dimitov, more, he is quite passive from the back of the court, but his shot accuracy needs to be admired and respected. You can see why he is where he is in the rankings. Seems quite consistent.

Murray does the business again and is though to the Quarter Finals with a 6-2 6-4 win over Seppi.

Murray will play Tsonga or Cilic next.

Edit

It will be Cilic as he beat Tsonga 7-5 7-6

Edited by booitsme7

I just seen the Haas Djokovic highlights. I love it when Haas rolls back the years and digs out a big win. He was fantastic, although Djokovic made a lot of errors but Haas' ball placement was excellent. Was last night a bigger shock than when he beat Federer on grass before Wimbledon? I think it was.

Haas see' s off Gilles Simon to make his first Masters SF since 2006. He really is having some week. Faces Ferrer for a place in the final. Murray faces Marin Cilic in the QF this evening. Sky reckon about half 7 for serve-off.

Cillic and Murray have met 9 times before, Murray leading 8-1. The 1 coming in the 2009 US Open when Cilic sweeped Murray, who was ranked 2nd, aside with ease. I still shudder when I think about that match. So they know each other well. Cilic always seems to cause Murray problems early doors then fades away towards the end. I don't think he can be termed a 'ball-basher' like JMDP and Berdych even though he has a strong forehand. He has a bit more grace to his game, more variety. I fancy Murray to win 2-1.

The match at last year's US Open was such a contrast. Murray got blown away and was very fortunate not to be two sets down. Cilic cracked under the pressure, and never recovered from losing the 5-1 lead in the second set. Murray comfortably dealt with him after that. Cilic was physically gone in the third set, and Murray bagelled him in the fourth.

I think Cilic could win a best of three setter against Murray, but I can't see him winning a best of five against him again. The US Open win in 2009 was probably Murray's greatest defeat, as he was the best player in the world at that time on hard courts results wise. Should be a decent match. Tommy Haas was brilliant again last night. He was last in a Master's final before Federer has won his first Grand Slam!

Just noticed there's some dick masquerading as me on the BBC tennis comments section Calling him/herself 'TheScarf'. This isn't me, and some of the posts coming that account are bordering on retardation. A clear indication this isn't me 8)

To be fair it will be your finest posting work. I never read Tennis forums. I think the tennis threads on here are always informative and have very little rubbish spouted on them apart from Grand Slam events.

Haas is an outsider to beat Ferrer. The two previous matches they have played are from over five years ago, so you can't read too much into this. The way Haas is playing he should trouble Ferrer, Haas has had his tactics spot on all week. Ferrer usually struggles with sliced, Federer usually slices him to death each match. I wouldn't be surprised to see Haas employ more slice than he has used all week.

I think Murray will win a tight match, and Berdych should also prevail. Berdych matches up well with Murray. That would make an interesting match if both were to win.

6-4, 6-3 2 wins away from the World Number 2 spot..that could prove useful at the next couple of Grand Slams

I don't think it will now Nadals back on the scene. To have a top four of Djokovic, Murray, Federer and Nadal all at their best would be incredible

Believe I read that Nadal's absense means for several GS The French & Wimbledon depending on Ferer and Rafa, Rafa may not make top 4 meaning that with the fortunate side of the draw he could avoid all 3 before a Final. Was an article on BBC with Lendl today. Ferrer just 100 behind Nadal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21964642

Great to see Andy win again even if I only got to see the 1st set as visitors came over and I missed the 2nd set.

Looking forward to hopefully watching the semi against Berdych or Gasquet tomorrow night as Haas v Ferrer plays first in the afternoon.

Believe I read that Nadal's absense means for several GS The French & Wimbledon depending on Ferer and Rafa, Rafa may not make top 4 meaning that with the fortunate side of the draw he could avoid all 3 before a Final. Was an article on BBC with Lendl today. Ferrer just 100 behind Nadal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21964642

Interesting. Cheers.

So if Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are all in the same bracket, then two of them would potentially play each other in the quarter-finals?

Ferrer will over take Nadal this week again. Nadal will find it tough to gain points as he won all the clay events he entered last season. So being second in the world could mean that Murray could avoid all three of the top four until the final. It certainly is advantageous to be second in the world rather than third.

Although with the French Open and Nadal only ever losing one match there in his life, I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a protected ranking.

To add: Yes if Nadal is seeded fifth he will face one of the top four in the quarter finals.

Edited by Loki

Gasquet well worth his first set lead currently. Berdych serve is getting returned well by Gasquet. Both have troubled Murray in the past. Murray coming back from breaks down in the third sets to beat him in five at both Wimbledon and French Open. So a best of three set match will suit Gasquet more than Murray.

Murray has never beaten Gasquet in a best of three match. All Murray's four wins have come in majors in the best of five tournament. The head to head between them is 4-4 although one of Gasquet's wins was a W/O victory which some cources do not count.

Edited by Loki