Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

To be pedantic I never said anything as definitive as "I'd make him favourite". I said I'd "almost" do so. And I stand by it. Federer's vulnerability at present was perfectly highlighted by Haas being six points from victory at the business end of the third set today and Haas is a pretty average player these days. He's certainly not as good as Del Potro. If Federer plays like that against Del Potro he will lose.

Hmmm. Not convinced by your analysis. However, who am I to argue with the 2007 1st Division Poster of the Year (Joint) :o

Hmmm. Not convinced by your analysis. However, who am I to argue with the 2007 1st Division Poster of the Year (Joint) :o

You are perfectly at liberty to not be convinced by it and indeed to downright disagree with it. And like I said I'm certainly not saying that Del Potro WILL beat him just that he may well do and it's a close call, certainly not the walkover for Federer you are implying it will be.

And snidey wee dig or not, my track record of predictions is better than yours lately. :P

You are perfectly at liberty to not be convinced by it and indeed to downright disagree with it. And like I said I'm certainly not saying that Del Potro WILL beat him just that he may well do and it's a close call, certainly not the walkover for Federer you are implying it will be.

And snidey wee dig or not, my track record of predictions is better than yours lately. :P

I quite like Del Potro. I'm not sure he is battle hardened enough yet to beat the likes of Federer, especially now that the tournament is there for the taking for him. I'm not sure who I'd prefer to win in that one. I like both of them. It's a bit frustrating for me just now because theres no top tennis player that I can't stand just now. I usually had a hate figure, but not just now. Verdasco does have a face you could give a good slap to but I don't even mind him all that much. I don't think he will ever be a genuinely top notch player anyway.

Murray has a really tough game against this Gonzalez bloke. I wonder if Murray has it in him to beat a top notch clay court player if that guy is on form. There'sno doubt that Murray will be quite chuffed with the clay court season this time. He has looked a much better player on it this year. And I'm sure he will only get better.

I quite like Del Potro. I'm not sure he is battle hardened enough yet to beat the likes of Federer, especially now that the tournament is there for the taking for him. I'm not sure who I'd prefer to win in that one. I like both of them. It's a bit frustrating for me just now because theres no top tennis player that I can't stand just now. I usually had a hate figure, but not just now. Verdasco does have a face you could give a good slap to but I don't even mind him all that much. I don't think he will ever be a genuinely top notch player anyway.

Murray has a really tough game against this Gonzalez bloke. I wonder if Murray has it in him to beat a top notch clay court player if that guy is on form. There'sno doubt that Murray will be quite chuffed with the clay court season this time. He has looked a much better player on it this year. And I'm sure he will only get better.

I stuck a fiver on Del Potro to win Wimbledon nearer the start of the year at something around 100/1. Looks like a pretty decent call, however only time will tell. Verdasco is a bit hit and miss, as he showed against Murray at the Austrailian when he is on form he can beat anyone.

I think Murray may struggle. Gonzalez has just seemed to breeze through almost effortlessley with hardly a mention. However, again Gonzalez is a player who can one day play well and the next have a bit of a shocker. In saying this he has looked pretty steady recently. Perhaps he is due an off day. Anyway, i think Gonzalez will win in four sets, perhaps five. Can't see Murray winning the battle from the back of the court if Gonzalez is playing well. Therefore i think Murray will have to change it up a bit, perhaps come in to the net or play a few more drop shots.

I stuck a fiver on Del Potro to win Wimbledon nearer the start of the year at something around 100/1. Looks like a pretty decent call, however only time will tell. Verdasco is a bit hit and miss, as he showed against Murray at the Austrailian when he is on form he can beat anyone.

I think Murray may struggle. Gonzalez has just seemed to breeze through almost effortlessley with hardly a mention. However, again Gonzalez is a player who can one day play well and the next have a bit of a shocker. In saying this he has looked pretty steady recently. Perhaps he is due an off day. Anyway, i think Gonzalez will win in four sets, perhaps five. Can't see Murray winning the battle from the back of the court if Gonzalez is playing well. Therefore i think Murray will have to change it up a bit, perhaps come in to the net or play a few more drop shots.

Murray is good at doing stuff his opponent doesn't like. That's really what his game is all about. He is just a nagging bugger, doesn't really play spectacular flair tennis or anything.

He is the tennis equivalent of Australian bowler Glenn McGrath. Keep putting the ball in places your opponent doesn't want it and eventually they will crack. Consistently doing that is why Murray is up there now. I'm sure there is another gear he can go up when he has to but he tends to just do what's required.

But he will need to work out Gonzalez and get it right tactically as well as play well himself or he will go out.

Any of you guys know when Murray is on court tomorrow?

He's second match on after Dinara Safina, who kicks off at 1pm our time. Given the rate with which she's been despatching her opponents, I'd expect him on about half 2 at the latest.

Edited by Fuctifano

Has Safina not only lost 5 games in 4 matches, thats not even enough to make one set, but for a player to win 2 sets against her is going to be tough.

Murray will win in 5 sets. hopefully not but i have faith that he will win, then lose in the semi's.

Murray will win in 5 sets. hopefully not but i have faith that he will win, then lose in the semi's.

Yeah, if he gets past Gonzo he'll be up against the Sod who played unbelievable against Davydenko. But I still think playing Soderling is preferable to Nadal for Andy.

Yeah, if he gets past Gonzo he'll be up against the Sod who played unbelievable against Davydenko. But I still think playing Soderling is preferable to Nadal for Andy.

Obviously, but surely soderling cant play like he has been for 3 matches ina row, he must be physically drained, the power he puts on the shots.

Obviously, but surely soderling cant play like he has been for 3 matches ina row, he must be physically drained, the power he puts on the shots.

I'm not sure. Sometimes the Slams throw up a surprise player from the chasing pack that gets to the final. What I will say is Soderling will have to keep putting away those shots to win as he has no "B" game and, as you stated, can he "not miss" for another 2 games?

I much prefer watching players with an all-court craft like Murray & Fed-X than ball-bashers like Soderling and Del Potro though.

To be honest, I actually think Murray looks out of place on a clay court, easily his worst surface. He doesnt have that big hitting game you are correct, but at times I think it is a good weapon to have, but as you say, they need b games, and I think Murray has about 4 or 5 if it all goes tits up for him.

Gonzalez's forehand looks very fearsome but it all depends on how long Murray can get the ball, and how consistently. I do think Gonzalez will win though.

Quick question, if he is so good on clay how has he never made the semis?

Quick question, if he is so good on clay how has he never made the semis?

In the last 4 years, he's been beaten twice by Federer, and once by Djokovic, so he's not been particularly lucky with the draw (unlike this year) The other year was a shock loss to Radek Stepanek in Round 1 in straight sets. I never saw this match, but I'd be surprised of Gonzalez was fully fit for that one.

this is definitely the first time in this French where Murray is playing someone where I haven't thought well OK they're playing really good but they're world 92 or whatever how long can it last and then it blows up cause if they were any good they'd be in top 10 -Gonzalez is 12.

that said, he's been getting all the fancy dan down the line stuff and just stopped doing it there and Murray broke.