Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

0-6

:D

otherwise you do make some good points.

The notion that breaking his neck and wasting energy to save a game or two in that set would somehow achieve anything in the scheme of things is frankly laughable. It doesn't meant he wasn't up for the game.

Face it the set was gone after the second break and he gave it up for what it was, a lost set. Get over it.

The notion that breaking his neck and wasting energy to save a game or two in that set would somehow achieve anything in the scheme of things is frankly laughable. It doesn't meant he wasn't up for the game.

Face it the set was gone after the second break and he gave it up for what it was, a lost set. Get over it.

I doubt if you were watching QoS on any given Saturday and they were 2-0 down with half an hour to go and your players just started passing amongst eachother to conserve energy and your manager started taking off your best players to rest them for the next game you would see it that way.

I doubt if you were watching QoS on any given Saturday and they were 2-0 down with half an hour to go and your players just started passing amongst eachother to conserve energy and your manager started taking off your best players to rest them for the next game you would see it that way.

:lol:

That is without a shadow of a doubt the worst analagy ever. Bar none.

Jesus Christ! :lol:

I disagree. There is no danger you would see Rafa Nadal giving up if he is two breaks down in a set. It's that sort of attitude that will stop Murray succeeding fully I believe.

I disagree. There is no danger you would see Rafa Nadal giving up if he is two breaks down in a set. It's that sort of attitude that will stop Murray succeeding fully I believe.

You may well be right.

It doesn't change the fact your analagy was quite the worst and most completely irrelevant one I've ever seen.

I still haven't stopped laughing. :lol:

Good effort by Murray on the red dirt but now it's on to the grass for a few weeeks. This is of course the only part of the season that matters to most casual tennis observers and anything other than a Murray win at Wimbers will make his season a complete flop. To them our only salvation could be Laura Robson winning the kids tourney again :huh:

Edited by RedWeb

Was Marray not 5-1 down in the second round and he won the set 7-5 though?

Interesting slip of the keyboard because as it 'appens there is actually a British player called Jonny Marray. Think he's ranked about 5,000 and would be unlikely to come from 5-1 down in a set against the coprse of Fred Perry.

Didn't see the set but even at 5-0 down Murray would surely have been hoping to hold serve. At the very least it means the opponent has to serve out and Murray would serve first in the next set. I could see him tanking an opponents serve but not his own.

You may well be right.

It doesn't change the fact your analagy was quite the worst and most completely irrelevant one I've ever seen.

I still haven't stopped laughing. :lol:

What if I had said 4-0 down with half an hour to go? Was it the relativity of the task that has you wetting yourself?

Didn't see the set but even at 5-0 down Murray would surely have been hoping to hold serve. At the very least it means the opponent has to serve out and Murray would serve first in the next set. I could see him tanking an opponents serve but not his own.

Even if he pulls it back by one break, loses out eventually - surely he has a bit of momentum behind him and can then push on in the crucial 4th set?

I can't fathom why if you still had a chance to win something, you wouldn't. Indeed I would love to see the stats for 'breakers of serve' in the world game - surely Murray is up there at the business end?

Edited by dubs

What if I had said 4-0 down with half an hour to go? Was it the relativity of the task that has you wetting yourself?

Think the problem SD has is your comparing throwing an entire football match with tanking a tennis set which only makes up part of a match. In tennis there is still the next set and at times players save their energy for it, especially if there isn't much petrol left.

Think the problem SD has is your comparing throwing an entire football match with tanking a tennis set which only makes up part of a match. In tennis there is still the next set and at times players save their energy for it, especially if there isn't much petrol left.

Precisely.

I think the problem SD had is that no one is allowed to disagree with him. And that's a little bit sad really.

Er no. The problem is that your analagy was absolutely ludicrous and had no relevance whatsoever. If you can't see the difference between a football match and a part of a tennis match then there's not really a lot more than can be said about it. I doubt anyone else on here thinks that's a remotely relevant analagy.

And whilst I don't necessarily agree with Murray tanking the set (if he did) it's something he's discussed publicly before and conceded he's done and had done against him. It's not like it's a n unheard of tactic so I've no idea why you suddenly think it's so bizarre.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

surely though since apparently he's super fit now, he should make gonzalez work for it, thus depleting the chilean's reserves of energy for a 4th set murray would have to win?

instead he enthused and gave encouragement to a bloke who played quite well but should have been in range.

I think the BBC commentators are overestimating the mental aspect against Monfils. He's trying more risky shots in this set because Federer has stepped his game up and it isn't coming off. He's still giving Federer a run for his money for each point and isn't being pushed over.

The bagel or loss to 1 sets are all too often for my liking. Shouldn't be happening but yet he throws one in in a stupidly high percentage of his matches.

Pray tell, what is this percentage this season? How high is stupidly high?