Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Agree with SD, as long as Del Potro improves his consistency (and given his age I think that's very likely) then he'll be pressing the top 4 hard very soon. He's a lot further on than Murray was at that age (although probably comparable rankings wise to Djokovic), and for me has more guile than Djokovic, which could be the difference in pushing him into the top 4.

i also agree that del potro will be one to watch, and that djokovic should be looking over his shoulder. However, in comparison with murray in terms of age, murray was still suffering from that injury that kept him out for three or four months, at the same time when djokovic emerged as a top three player. Who knows how much progress it could have hleped him make had a not been .

He has never been further than the last eight of ANY Grand Slam tournament in his entire career.

Blake probably prefers to say he's never reached a Grand Slam Semi-Final.

Decent bloke but way too erratic. Only way he can win matches is to take big risks and sometimes they simply don't come off. Had potential to do more but stuck with same coaches for too long.

To be fair to Blake, considering the state of his back, and his other injuries, he shouldn't be anywhere near the top 100 in the world.

He is a medical miracle.

EDIT - A bit of research reveals points available for Queens this year HAVE been downgraded and Murray gets 250 for winning. That's the same as he's carrying for Doha so he's actually no better off.

He might get those 250 points after the 14th July, when his '0' points from Indianapolis drop off. Queens could then count as a countable event. I'm not sure if that's how it works, though.

Eh!

James Blake has never been remotely near to a World Number 1 ranking. I've no idea where you got that idea from? His highest ranking was 4 in November 2006 and he's currently 17, having spent only a few weeks inside the top six in his entire career. He's also 29 years old which is getting on for a veteran in tennis terms.

He is a half decent grass court player but probably wouldn't have made the final if Roddick hadn't injured himself in their semi final. He has never been further than the last eight of ANY Grand Slam tournament in his entire career.

Maybe he got Blake confused with Ferrero.

He might get those 250 points after the 14th July, when his '0' points from Indianapolis drop off. Queens could then count as a countable event. I'm not sure if that's how it works, though.

I think you are probably right (although the atp site says those points drop on 20th July, not 14th?). He's carrying that "0" as punishment for an 11th hour withdrawal from that tournament last year but it's not a compulsory event this year so I'd think it will be dropped completely in July and replaced by either Queens or, were he to enter and win the event this year, the points from this year's Indy tournament.

Maybe he got Blake confused with Ferrero.

I would imagine he was watching the Blake-Roddick semi final and he misheard them stating Roddick was a former number one.

One thing worrying me about Nadal is if he says he's fit for Wimbledon, then the seedings are announced with Murray @no.3, then Nadal pulls out in his first match giving us the real possibility - because the seedings have already taken place - of a Federer/Murray semi-final with a clear run to the final for a no-hoper in the other half of the draw eg a Philippoussis/Pioline/Washington.

Can this happen?

Would rather Nadal say he's not going to make it and have Fed no.1 seed and Muzza no.2 seed.

I think you are probably right (although the atp site says those points drop on 20th July, not 14th?). He's carrying that "0" as punishment for an 11th hour withdrawal from that tournament last year but it's not a compulsory event this year so I'd think it will be dropped completely in July and replaced by either Queens or, were he to enter and win the event this year, the points from this year's Indy tournament.

Interestingly, this actually happened to Del Potro this week. He was a late withdrawal from Queens last year, and that drops off his record this week, to be replaced by his next best result, which was 250 points.

So, he's picked up those 250 without hitting a ball, as he wasn't in action this past week.

intresting that Murray is now 2nd favorite for Wimbeldon, having overtaken Nadal.

That's fairly meaningless though in terms of assessment of their chances. The bookies set their odds according to what they stand to lose and they've taken a lot of patriotic money on Murray. So they cut his price. Same reason England in World Cups and English club sides in European competition are always shorter prices than they really should be in this country.

To a minor extent it probably also reflects the doubts over Nadal's fitness.

Is Nadal still a doubt for Wimbledon, or is he cleared ?

He's still a doubt. He's coming over to London to play an exhibition on Friday to test his knees out on grass. A decision will be made after that but I'd be surprised if he doesn't at least start Wimbledon.

One thing worrying me about Nadal is if he says he's fit for Wimbledon, then the seedings are announced with Murray @no.3, then Nadal pulls out in his first match giving us the real possibility - because the seedings have already taken place - of a Federer/Murray semi-final with a clear run to the final for a no-hoper in the other half of the draw eg a Philippoussis/Pioline/Washington.

Can this happen?

Would rather Nadal say he's not going to make it and have Fed no.1 seed and Muzza no.2 seed.

Yes it can happen and indeed has a 50/50 shot of happening. Although to say the other half would be a clear run for a no hoper is to completely dismiss Djokovic who will certainly not be in Murray's half.

I'd hope that Murray gets drawn in Nadal's half thsi time though. With the knees and everything surrounding his game at the moment I think it's a better route than through Federer.

The Wimbledon draw will be made on Friday morning, BEFORE Nadal tests his fitness, so if he then withdraws the draw will already be set.

Yes it can happen and indeed has a 50/50 shot of happening. Although to say the other half would be a clear run for a no hoper is to completely dismiss Djokovic who will certainly not be in Murray's half.

I'd hope that Murray gets drawn in Nadal's half thsi time though. With the knees and everything surrounding his game at the moment I think it's a better route than through Federer.

The Wimbledon draw will be made on Friday morning, BEFORE Nadal tests his fitness, so if he then withdraws the draw will already be set.

Interesting, thanks!

Oh, and i've already dismissed Djokovic's chances. Don't know wny - he just doesn't seem to be playing with much confidence lately. I know he got to the final in Halle but by all accounts was lucky to get that far.

A Murray - Fed final would be fantastic in my opinion. A game for the purists, no doubt.

I'm jumping the gun though, much like the medja will be doing this week.

Interesting, thanks!

Oh, and i've already dismissed Djokovic's chances. Don't know wny - he just doesn't seem to be playing with much confidence lately. I know he got to the final in Halle but by all accounts was lucky to get that far.

Djokovic's results recently have generally been pretty good (albeit mostly on clay and pretty irrelevant towards Wimbledon) apart from at Roland Garros when he lost an early round game to Kohlschreiber.

He was runner up in two Master events on clay and a semi finalist in another and in all three cases lost narrowly to Nadal having given him harder matches than anyone else has on clay for years (though in context Soderling then went on to shock him in Paris). He was also runner up on grass last week as noted.

Before last week his short term form was considerably better than Murray's (again because he's better on clay).

I am confident that my prediction of Andy Murray being the tennis equivalent of Colin Montgomerie will continue to be proved right after Wimbledon.

That's the spirit. Maybe he'd have a chance of your support if his name was Andy O'Murray.

This song is just...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lVzmtPHBr8

Judge for yourselves.