Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I think it's too early to draw that conclusion. He's certainly going through a poor-ish spell at the moment (though he's just fundamentally not that good on clay and a last 16 position isn't unreasonable for him) but it's hardly long enough to be described as "going backwards" yet.

Perhaps. But he just looks underpowered compared to the very top players, particularly on the forehand side.

He's actually done OK this tournament. I think a fully fit Gasquet would have beaten him in 3 sets in the first round mind you.

Nadal will win on Sunday and Nadal and Federer will likely fight out the Wimbledon final as well. By the US Open it might be a different story - we shall see...

Perhaps. But he just looks underpowered compared to the very top players, particularly on the forehand side.

He's actually done OK this tournament. I think a fully fit Gasquet would have beaten him in 3 sets in the first round mind you.

Nadal will win on Sunday and Nadal and Federer will likely fight out the Wimbledon final as well. By the US Open it might be a different story - we shall see...

Indeed. Murray's had a wee form downturn since the Australian Open certainly but most of it has really been on a surface he doesn't do well on generally and isn't that surprising. It will be much more interesting to see how he does in the grass season and more especially in the hardcourt season when he usually thrives and is defending a lot of ranking points. If his form continues to slide then he could drop significantly down the rankings potentially.

I know it's not about Andy Murray, but I'll just pop in here - his conquerer Berdych has just given Youzhny a thumping, 6-3 6-1 6-2 - and incredibly he'll play Soderling in the semi. He in turn gave Federer a bit of a gubbing too, 3 sets to 1.

Wonder when was the last time Fed lost three straight sets in a match?

Edited by mozam76

I know it's not about Andy Murray, but I'll just pop in here - Soderling has just given Federer a bit of a doing, beating him 3 sets to 1 in the quarters.

Rejoice, don't know what it is about him but Federer gives me the creeps.

Soderling was far and away the better player. Outstandig performance.

Edited to say, Soderling will overtake Murray in the ATP rankings if he wins the whole tournament. Soderling, on the other hand will be overtaken by Berdych, if Berdych wins the whole tournament.

Edited by McKee

I can't find a general Tennis thread?

Watching the women's final at Roland Garros just now. That Italian lassy, Schiavone, has fantastic shot-control; volleying, slicing, drop-shots. I realise you see a bit more of it in the ladies game but her opponent, Stosa, packs a fair wallop like. It's fairly high-tempo. Hard, deep hitting.

Stosa's actually broke in the second set as I've been typing but the first was very much about the other woman. Decent watch. I dare-say Soderling Nadal will best it though.

Schiavone won. That was a brilliant match actually. Looks like I was the only won to bloody well watch it mind.

The previous few women's finals at RG really don't compare.

Quality technical tennis from the Italian.

As usuall, Nadal handed the easiest of the 4 quarters in the Wimbledon draw today. Murray's is pretty favourable as well though, should be aiming for at leat SF again.

Murray has Simon, Querrey, Verdasco, Almagro, Tsonga and Ferrero in his quarter

Federer has Bedych, Melzer, Wawrinka, Davadenko, Robredo and Lopez in his quarter.

Djokovic has Hewitt, Roddick, Cillic, Kohlschreiber, Ljubicic, Monfils and other dangerous players like Mayer, Dent and Montanes.

Nadal has Soderling, Bellucci, Baghdatis, Ferrer, Youzhny, Isner and Gulbis.

As usuall, Nadal handed the easiest of the 4 quarters in the Wimbledon draw today.

Nadal has Soderling, Bellucci, Baghdatis, Ferrer, Youzhny, Isner and Gulbis.

Soderling is probably, on form, the 3rd best player in the world right now. Baghdatis always plays well at Wimbledon, as does Youzhny who's having a fine season, and Isner's game is perfectly suited to grass. Add to that Gulbis, who is either really brilliant or really shite, and Ferrer who's back to somewhere close to his best (although admittedly pretty shite on grass) and you'll see it's perhaps not all that favourable.

That said, I'd still fancy Nadal to beat them all.

Soderling is probably, on form, the 3rd best player in the world right now. Baghdatis always plays well at Wimbledon, as does Youzhny who's having a fine season, and Isner's game is perfectly suited to grass. Add to that Gulbis, who is either really brilliant or really shite, and Ferrer who's back to somewhere close to his best (although admittedly pretty shite on grass) and you'll see it's perhaps not all that favourable.

Baghdatis lost in the first round.

Grass is by far Soderling's worst surface, same with Youzhny and Ferrer. Baghdais is out and Isner will not win his 3rd round match if he beats Mahut. In fact, I don't think there is anyone in Nadal's quarter that has gotten past the fourth round at Wimbledon. Gulbis has withdrawn as well. Still the the easiest.