Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Federer was very generous in the game that Murray won, took a huge sidestep left on Murray's second serve (at 30-30) to allow him a second service ace. Then his error to give him the game was a very half assed attempt. Federer was imperious in his service games, and Murray's was atrocious.

It could be the end of the road for Mauresmo, but I think he might just wait for the off season and give her to the Australian Open. At least next year he will have a full fitness programme for going into the new season. Murray played better against Federer at the start of his recovery.

Im sorry lads but we cant keep using the back surgery. That was over a yr ago.... and he was more competitive against fed at oz open in Jan.

His coach needs to change now, he is miles away from top players. Really glad he has bagged a couple of slams plus the Gold cause he aint gonna get close again... unless there are big changes

I think that could be correct about Federer. Now I'm not for a minute implying he did it deliberately, but the way he played those two game points he was almost feeling sorry for Andy. Still he's done really well just getting there and I've no doubt he'll be taking something from this.

A new coach is almost a given I'd imagine.

Might be blind hope but I still think he's got a Slam or two left in him. He was almost unplayable on grass 2012-13 and he normally always performs well in Oz, it's not like he's forgotten how to play.

Definitely the rest of the elite are moving in the opposite direction from him at the moment, though the year Rog is having at 33 after last season shows it can be done, although he was always likely to have a long career.

Would luv to see fed win another slam. I've really warmed to him. Was gutted when joker beat him at SW19.

:o

There's not a sports person outside of the old firm I hate as much as Federer, hope he gets destroyed in the Semi. what do you like about him?

:o

There's not a sports person outside of the old firm I hate as much as Federer, hope he gets destroyed in the Semi. what do you like about him?

Didnt like him in his early to mid days, smugness being the reason. I also think he got quite a few if his slams in a very weak era.

But he really raised his game last couple of years to match the best, and I feel he has got more humble, maybe fatherhood.

He is certainly not my fav player but I wanted him to win the wimbledon final this yr and actually thought he took the defeat quite graciously

I find Federer to be a very sore loser. Accuses players of being lucky to beat him etc. Novak countered this after this year's Wimbledon final by having a wee dig back at him by saying he was greatful for Roger letting him win. His fits of tears when Rafa beat him on grass finally and hard courts, just reeked of a little spoiled child.

However last night he without a doubt let Murray get that one game. He doesn't tend to employ the tactics Novak and Rafa use, slowing the game down, long toilet breaks, calling for the trainer etc to try and stop a player's momentum.

I still want to see Rafa get more Slams than Roger.

Last nights result didn't surprise me at all, I always feared an embarrassment for him if he made the finals as this has been the worst year of his career as far as I'm concerned.

He hasn't really beaten anyone of significance at all this year and his recent 'form' was against guys he should be beating 99/100. It was basically a month of H2H's against Ferrer.

I wouldn't say he's done yet but something is seriously wrong and if it isn't fixed he'll be resigned to winning the odd 250 here and there but he can forget the GS and Masters.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

I think people are getting a bit carried away with themselves. He hasn't had the worst season of his career, he has finished as no.6 in the world which isn't that bad really( barring Cilic making the Final at the ATP). Roger Federer was getting written off by many on this thread a year ago saying he should just retire, and yet he came back this year looking as strong as he has in years. Andre Agassi fell away out of the top 100 as he was playing that badly, but came back to be number one in the world again.

Tactically he is very poor currently, he tends to put the ball in the middle of the court not close to the base line, allowing his opponents to dictate most of the points. If he was a bit more cleverer against Nishikori he would have won that match and been in the semi finals. He is trying to be more aggressive with opponents second serves, but he is erroring too much by going for winners on these.

Physically he has lost muscle mass and isn't as strong as he was pre surgery. I am not sure if this is because he can't train, or he just didn't have his full training off season. His mph in his first serve has come right down, his ball toss is erratic, making his serve easier to read. To win matches now he needs 60%+. His deep defensive slice, one of his best shots, doesn't get used enough and when trying to employ it against a better player (Roger, Novak and Rafa) it isn't good enough to put them under pressure.

Personally I don't think Mauresmo has added much at all to Murray. A change will do him the world of good I think. Hats off to him for employing a female coach in such a misogynist environment. The work Magnus Norman did with Soderling and Wawrinka was very impressive. Perhaps even look at a part time coaching arrangement with Lendl again.