Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

The order for Thursday's play is out, Raonic Nishkori is the afternoon game, and Federer Murray is the evening match.

This is ideal for Murray as he will know exactly what needs to be done to qualify.

It is pretty hard to even contemplate all available scenarios without knowing the first result. The group works on matches won, sets won and then % of games won.

1) If Nishikori wins it means Murray can only qualify in straight sets.

2) If Raonic wins in three, Murray can qualify by winning in any scenario.

3) If Raonic wins in two, Murray will qualify by just taking one set. If he was to lose 2-0 to Federer it would come down to game percentage.

If Murray was to beat Federer by 7 games in straight sets, he would move on to 4-2 on sets equal with Federer but would have 33/58 games won and Federer 30/54 and would finish above Federer. That is the only scenario Murray can finish above Federer if Nishikori was to win win straight sets.

Edited by Loki

I don't mind Sue Barker as she is more of a presenter and doesn't have to offer much insight into a games tactics, but Annabel Croft is far superior for Sky. The BBC commentary team, you feel they just get the job, as they have always done it. Andrew Castle is terrible. He was asking the viewers where Federer ranks amongst other global sporting greats. Tim Henman reeled off Usain Bolt and well known sporting greats from other sports. Castle just started naming his favourite cricketers.

I don't mind fair criticism and I think criticism of Cilic today was warranted. But Sky do it in such a better manner, Petchey is tremendous on the Sky Pad showing areas in which Cilic could have improved and in what ways Berdych took advantage of Cilic frailities. This is a far better method rather than say the person is more or less shite without any evidence to back up the view point.

The BBC coverage is the worst of any TV channel operating in UK. Eurosport has Mats WIlander and Annabel Croft for Grand Slams (although Virgina Wade is terrible), ITV have Fabrice Sontoro and Jim Courier (Inverdale letting them down) and Sky with Petchey, Croft, Rusedski and McLagan are the best team (although Cowan is the worst but still better than the BBC apart from Henman). If the BBC didn't have the tournament in HD I would watch it on a stream.

Cilic was very poor today, I think he will quite happily dine out on being a Grand Slam winner for the rest of his career. Wawrinka beats him easily as well, so even though he isn't mathematically out yet (before tonight's game) he won't win the third rubber.

I don't mind Sue Barker as she is more of a presenter and doesn't have to offer much insight into a games tactics, but Annabel Croft is far superior for Sky. The BBC commentary team, you feel they just get the job, as they have always done it. Andrew Castle is terrible. He was asking the viewers where Federer ranks amongst other global sporting greats. Tim Henman reeled off Usain Bolt and well known sporting greats from other sports. Castle just started naming his favourite cricketers.

I don't mind fair criticism and I think criticism of Cilic today was warranted. But Sky do it in such a better manner, Petchey is tremendous on the Sky Pad showing areas in which Cilic could have improved and in what ways Berdych took advantage of Cilic frailities. This is a far better method rather than say the person is more or less shite without any evidence to back up the view point.

The BBC coverage is the worst of any TV channel operating in UK. Eurosport has Mats WIlander and Annabel Croft for Grand Slams (although Virgina Wade is terrible), ITV have Fabrice Sontoro and Jim Courier (Inverdale letting them down) and Sky with Petchey, Croft, Rusedski and McLagan are the best team (although Cowan is the worst but still better than the BBC apart from Henman). If the BBC didn't have the tournament in HD I would watch it on a stream.

Cilic was very poor today, I think he will quite happily dine out on being a Grand Slam winner for the rest of his career. Wawrinka beats him easily as well, so even though he isn't mathematically out yet (before tonight's game) he won't win the third rubber.

Good insight. I agree with you that cilic was bad today yet castle just dresses him down with no suggestions. You kind of got the feeling that cilic was looking over at berdych and thinking... ha ha, feck u im a grand slam champ.

Sue Barker actually won a major so there is resoect there.

As for Sky, I love watching petchey deliver is usual a$$ kicking to Rudeski.

Yeah he absolutely gifted Novak the two games immediately after he went 2-0 up and Novak cranked up the pressure and his backhand fell apart. I think Wawrinka only won seven points in the second set. It was an utter gubbing.

So what does Ferrer get from stepping in, apart from a wedge of money I'm assuming he doesn't need plus some ranking points? If he scuds Nishikori can he qualify?

Yes, I wud imagine that due to raonic not winning game ferrer can go through. Will need to win in straight sets tho.... and yes, he gets ranking points