Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

5 consecutive break points in that 3rd set. :blink:

Good win for Murray, jumps up to 8th in the live race (Eurosport showed him as 7th on their graphic, but I believe they weren't including live points from Stockholm, which Berdych is in the final of currently, and so is still ahead of Andy).

Yeah the table was correct at that time, but Berdych hadn't won in Stockholm at that point so he moves back ahead of Murray now. You could see the anxiety and nervousness in Ferrer when he was serving for the match. A good win for Murray being able to dig out the win when a break down will give him confidence. Two trophies in a month and a good chance to win in Valencia next week. That would see him back in the top eight with a bye in the Masters again.

Nishikori is not playing a 500 event and neither is Cilic so he could overtake them both in the race and rankings.

For live up to date Race and Rankings:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=29EC224593D363F0%2113631&id=documents&activeCell=%27ATP%20Race%27!G6

One of my favourite book marks.

Edited by Loki

Yeah the table was correct at that time, but Berdych hadn't won in Stockholm at that point so he moves back ahead of Murray now. You could see the anxiety and nervousness in Ferrer when he was serving for the match. A good win for Murray being able to dig out the win when a break down will give him confidence. Two trophies in a month and a good chance to win in Valencia next week. That would see him back in the top eight with a bye in the Masters again.

Nishikori is not playing a 500 event and neither is Cilic so he could overtake them both in the race and rankings.

For live up to date Race and Rankings:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=29EC224593D363F0%2113631&id=documents&activeCell=%27ATP%20Race%27!G6

One of my favourite book marks.

Have to say that this years race has been fascinating. With Cilic, Wawrinka and Nishikori all doing well at the majors, it has made the rankings and the race quite unpredictable.

Murray has been awful at the masters events, Wawrinka has had a very poor second half to the year. To be honest, apart from Djokovic and Federer, no one can keep any form going for a long period!

With Berdych, Murray and Ferrer all doing very well the last couple of weeks it has dragged Nishikori back in the mix especially with him missing the 500 events this week. If all three do well SF, F and Winner at Valencia (Murray seeded to face Ferrer in the SF, Berdych in the other half). Paris could be very interesting. Think Nishikori has just about done enough though.

I think the ATP eight qualifiers will be Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Wawrinka, Clilc, Nishikori, Berdych and Murray. However there is still injury doubts over Nadal and Nishikori, so there is still scope for Ferrer, Dimitrov and Raonic.

I think Murray has to make the semi finals to gain any points in the race (as does Ferrer). His worst of the six is 90 points so has to better that. Good news Berdych going out early. Raonic is gaining points with every victory and is now ahead of Ferrer 90 behind Murray. Even with Murray winning here in Valencia he still wouldn't be safe. The last time Murray was chasing the ATP finals was in 2007 when he missed a large part of the season with a wrist injury.

Fognini has a winning record against Murray but one of the victories was on Murray's return from injury in 2007 and the Davis Cup match on clay where the Italian crowd inspired Fognini. If Murray just keeps close with Fognini he will go in a mood and tank the match. I'd anticipate a Murray win but wouldn't be surprised to see Fognini take a set.

Over in Basel 17 year old Coric looked very impressive against Gulbis. Certainly looks to be a better player than the other teen players like Kyrgios. David Goffin is on some run just now and will be a commitment player next year meaning he will get to play all the Masters and Majors without qualifying. He kind of broke through in 2012 but didn't follow it up. It is very difficult for a player from a lesser nation to break through without substantial monetary backing. I am glad that the men's game is addressing this and taking money from the semi finalists and finalists to give the first and second rounds more money.

Novak Djokovic's wife gave birth to a we boy called Stefan. He hasn't decided if he is playing Paris will definitely play the WTF.

In addition Berdych loses in straight sets to P Andujar (Spain)

Some rumours on mens tennis forum that he strategically tanked the match to increase his WTF chances. Berdych would only gain 30 points from making the semi-finals here (as opposed to 90 for the other 2) but by accepting the wildcard and being seeded 2nd it meant there was a 50-50 chance of Ferrer and Murray being in the same half (which happened) so one of them can't make the final.

Genius move if true.

Some rumours on mens tennis forum that he strategically tanked the match to increase his WTF chances. Berdych would only gain 30 points from making the semi-finals here (as opposed to 90 for the other 2) but by accepting the wildcard and being seeded 2nd it meant there was a 50-50 chance of Ferrer and Murray being in the same half (which happened) so one of them can't make the final.

Genius move if true.

But likewise if he was in Murray's half he could seriously hinder his own chances. He had to play a 500 event as all the main rivals for the spots were as well. Basel is a stacked field compared to Valencia, so he was always going to accept that. I find the Mens Tennis Forums are full of wallopers. I read it occasionally.

It's going to go down to Paris, I think Murray is due a nice draw.

Further good news for Murray as Clic and Nadal both pull out of the Paris Masters meaning he will be eighth seed. The draw will be out later on today. Hopefully gets Wawrinka or Ferrer's quarter. As a result Cilic will probably fall out of the top eight spots, meaning he will qualify as a Grand Slam champion in the top 20 instead of the person eighth in the race.

A dodgy first set but dig deep to take the last two. He gifted Anderson a couple of breaks and his first serve was below 50%.

Edited by Loki