Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

It means he would get less points than he got the season before, yep.

If I get 100 points for winning Tourney X on February 1st 2006, I have 100 points from that week contributing to my ranking for the whole year.

Then, when I come back to defend Tourney X on February 1st 2007, my ranking for last year was based on 100 points from Tourney X.

If I lose in the semis and only get 50 points, I am effectively 50 points down from where I was last year.

If I didn't bother my arse to play at all that week, I would have 0 points, and have lost 100 points from my ranking.

But they don't actually deduct ranking points off you if you don't do as well, you just don't gain as many ? (Sorry if I seem pretty stupid here, never really knew anything about tennis rankings :) )

Guest thefamousphilosifer
But they don't actually deduct ranking points off you if you don't do as well, you just don't gain as many ? (Sorry if I seem pretty stupid here, never really knew anything about tennis rankings :) )
You lose any ranking points gained more than a year ago, so tomorrow Murrays ranking point will be 1650 - 175 (the number of points he got for winning this last year) + however many points he gains from this weeks event (175 if he wins tonight, 120 if he loses)

I think thats correct :unsure:

Your ranking points run on a rolling scale.

Every week, points gained from a tournament played exactly a year ago will 'fall off the computer', whilst points gained from a tournament that week will be added on.

Normally, the tournament from a year ago will be the same one that's played on the current weekend, therefore Andy Murray will lose the 175 points he won last year at San Jose as those points are due to come off this week. This will be balanced by any points he gains this week, meaning if he wins and gets 175 points, the net effect will be zero.

Sometimes the weeks are 'staggered' in that the tournament falling off the computer one week might not be the same one thats being played the current week, but that's rarer than you might think.

To put it yet another way - the points he wins in the past year contribute towards his ranking. After this year's tournament is over, last year's tournament is no longer in the past year so it no longer counts towards his ranking.

Decent start by Murray.4-3 down ATM on serve.but Murray missed a good chance for a break at 30-40 few games ago.

Live on Eurosport for anyone interested.

Just flicked Eurosport on,and it appears to be some sort of boxing that's on :blink:<_<

You lose any ranking points gained more than a year ago, so tomorrow Murrays ranking point will be 1650 - 175 (the number of points he got for winning this last year) + however many points he gains from this weeks event (175 if he wins tonight, 120 if he loses)

I think thats correct :unsure:

Dont think its quite as simple as that....the ranking is made up the top events (grand slams + atp masters events) plus your 5 other best tournament showings of the previous year. So while Murray's 175 points from last year (as one of his 5 best other showings) will drop off they would be replaced by the points from his 6th best tournament. So even had he gone out in the first round here he wouldnt have lost 175 points...would have lost a fair number but there would still be a few from the previously 6th best showing. If he ends up losing tonight he will get the 120 plus the points from that previous 6th best now 5th best. Clear as mud :lol:

Karlovic takes the first set on a tiebreak :(

Dont think its quite as simple as that....the ranking is made up the top events (grand slams + atp masters events) plus your 5 other best tournament showings of the previous year. So while Murray's 175 points from last year (as one of his 5 best other showings) will drop off they would be replaced by the points from his 6th best tournament. So even had he gone out in the first round here he wouldnt have lost 175 points...would have lost a fair number but there would still be a few from the previously 6th best showing. If he ends up losing tonight he will get the 120 plus the points from that previous 6th best now 5th best. Clear as mud :lol:

Karlovic takes the first set on a tiebreak :(

Isn't it the case that there is 2 ranking systems used by ATP :unsure:

One such as you have described and one that I was going on about?

Isn't it the case that there is 2 ranking systems used by ATP :unsure:

One such as you have described and one that I was going on about?

Yeah, the ATP Rankings (traditional way and system used to calculate world number 1 plus seedings for tournaments) and the ATP Race. The Race sees every player start the season with 0 points and at that end of season shows who has the been most succesful player for that season...that wont necessarily be the world number 1 though in the Rankings.

You cant have been talking about the Race though because previous years points dont come into that ;)

Even in the Race though points are still based on 18 tournaments...the grand slams, 9 atp masters and other 5 best tournaments.

Murray is currently 13th in the Rankings and 10th in the Race. But effectively he's 13th in the world.

....and he's just taken the second set 6-4 :D

Edited by Waspie

Karlovic is nothing without that big first serve.

They should bring in a rule whereby it's a fault if the serve goes beyond a certain MPH figure.

That would help the proper tennis players like Murray. ;)

The fact is they use it to their advantage, i bet if Murray had a big serve like Karlovic has then he would use it to his advantage aswell ;)

With a bit of luck Murray should bounce up the rankings in the next few months. Of the next 10 tournaments he only has points from a QF in Memphis (which is played this week, with Murray 3rd seed) and 3 2nd round appearances to defend. Although I think a number of those tournaments coming up are on clay.