Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Sky are maybe taking a calculated guess that tennis will go into decline now Murray/fed/djok and Nadal are probably all past their prime. They will argue not many up and coming exciting players look like taking their place. Sky are a business and they probably get their best viewing figures for football, golf, f1 and cricket ([emoji17]). The epl deal has crippled them though and tennis is one of the casualties.

And golf, pga gone to bbc

Sorry, but does this mean the Grand Slams are only on Amazon stick? I only really watch Grand Slams, the end of season event, the Olympics and the occasional Davis Cup.

Wimbledon is one of the sporting events that the UK government state should always be on free to air channels. ITV have French Open for the next two years.

Eurosport have the European rights for all four slams for the foreseeable future. Other broadcasters can sub contract the rights to the Australian and US from them much like Sky did for twenty years with the US Open.

13 hours ago, Loki said:

Wimbledon is one of the sporting events that the UK government state should always be on free to air channels. ITV have French Open for the next two years.

Eurosport have the European rights for all four slams for the foreseeable future. Other broadcasters can sub contract the rights to the Australian and US from them much like Sky did for twenty years with the US Open.

Have to correct you, only wimbledon finals weekend has to be on terrestrial. 

On 8/7/2017 at 17:42, ftk said:

Sky are maybe taking a calculated guess that tennis will go into decline now Murray/fed/djok and Nadal are probably all past their prime. They will argue not many up and coming exciting players look like taking their place. Sky are a business and they probably get their best viewing figures for football, golf, f1 and cricket (emoji17.png). The epl deal has crippled them though and tennis is one of the casualties.

The Ashes are on BT sport this winter.  

Admittedly the time slots are through the night, but it's still a huge blow to Sky.

Murray pulls out of Cincinnati next week as well. Says he's still aiming for the US Open.

What would he need to do over the remainder of the season to get a top four or eight seeding for Australia?

On 08/08/2017 at 07:59, sparky88 said:

Have to correct you, only wimbledon finals weekend has to be on terrestrial. 

I stand corrected.  I assumed it was the whole championships.

At this rate Andy will pull out of the US Open as well.  He will also definitely lose his number one ranking, but will stay in the top three rankings, might stay in the top two depending on how Federer does at Montreal and Cinci.

To qualify in the top eight he would probably need another couple of thousand points, the top four another three thousand points.  The Australian Open could be an utter lottery for players.  Djokovic, Wawrinka, Cilic and Murray all might be out of the top ten.

13 hours ago, Loki said:

I stand corrected.  I assumed it was the whole championships.

At this rate Andy will pull out of the US Open as well.  He will also definitely lose his number one ranking, but will stay in the top three rankings, might stay in the top two depending on how Federer does at Montreal and Cinci.

To qualify in the top eight he would probably need another couple of thousand points, the top four another three thousand points.  The Australian Open could be an utter lottery for players.  Djokovic, Wawrinka, Cilic and Murray all might be out of the top ten.

Could be some carnage with the draw.

It would be a bit of a shitter if he misses New York, but as long as he's fully fit to hit the ground running next year, that's the most important thing.

If he does miss New York, surely he'll just patch the rest of the season?

Nadal loses to Denis Shapovalov so Andy Murray survives another week as number one.  He will definitely lose his number one status the week after next.  Meaning he will have been world number one for 41 weeks.  Two weeks behind Kuerten and six weeks behind Nastase.  

5 hours ago, Loki said:

Nadal loses to Denis Shapovalov so Andy Murray survives another week as number one.  He will definitely lose his number one status the week after next.  Meaning he will have been world number one for 41 weeks.  Two weeks behind Kuerten and six weeks behind Nastase.  

Are these stats below not accurate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ATP_number_1_ranked_singles_tennis_players#Weeks_at_No._1

Fed can be number one before the US Open starts.

I took the stats from somewhere else. They certainly don't tally for the older guys, but the ones from 1980 onwards seem to tally.

If he wins in Montreal then it will be between him and Rafa in Cincinnati I think?

If Murray can get back to full fitness, he'll give himself every chance of being number one again at some point I'm sure.