Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Magnificent win and playing some great stuff. He'll have an eye on the final the way the draw is on his side.

So good to see him back playing. It's strange how unnatural his gait looks now, but if it doesn't affect him in any way then it obviously doesn't matter.

I thought he did well to dig out the first set. Obviously his serve is still wayward, but it is coming on with every match.

Edmund hit through him quite easily in the second set. I quite liked that he didn’t chase every ball down.

The third set was a masterclass from 2-2. Controlled him with his serve and stepped into the court aggressively to take on Kyle’s second serve. He then played more aggressively through out.

Excellent win for him. It took him five months to get a top 20 win after back surgery. So this is pretty positive.

He was in tears after the match. It’s been taking an emotional toll on him.

He absolutely bottled the first tie break but fought back well. Sheer determination alone got Murray through that.

Alex De Minaur beat Chung, so he will face him tonight. Noah Rubin also put out Isner, so there would be an opportunity to make the final.

Rumours that Lendl is working with Alex Zverev, they could meet in the final. That might be interesting.

Didn’t play very well but was amazing how he managed to pull himself through there at the end.

Was a pretty special moment at the end with the camera just showing him crying into a towel for a couple of minutes, really signifying the emotional release and the amount of hard work it has taken to get back to the level that he’s at.

Hard to see him winning another match after that tbh. Disappointed that Chung lost as him against Murray is match I’ve wanted to see for a while, although neither are fit so probably best to wait a while.

Didn’t play very well but was amazing how he managed to pull himself through there at the end.

Was a pretty special moment at the end with the camera just showing him crying into a towel for a couple of minutes, really signifying the emotional release and the amount of hard work it has taken to get back to the level that he’s at.

Hard to see him winning another match after that tbh. Disappointed that Chung lost as him against Murray is match I’ve wanted to see for a while, although neither are fit so probably best to wait a while.
Not sure why he won't win his next match tbh. His next opponent also went this distance late into night. I can see him get to final, nishikori and zvera will probably beat him.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Is that due tonight? Not a good sign of he can't complete the tournament.

Not too bad if he just needs a week off after this one though.

Pulled out of his quarter.

I just don't ever see him returning to his previous level, I saw people on DLA walk better that Murray did in the last year or so before surgery, hope I'm wrong.

Edited by ayrmad

Not overly surprised at him pulling out after the ridiculous finish time against Copil. By the time he'll have done his recovery and media it'll have been about six by the time he got to bed and there is no way he'll have been able to recover properly to play again the next day.

28 minutes ago, Acastus said:

Benoit Paire's Washington meltdown. Breaks 3 rackets, kicks his chair, tosses broken rackets back on court for a ballboy to pick them up, gives up. Top pro. 

Not a surprise in a match between those 2, I watched him doing all that and absolutely tanking through a 2nd set only for Baghdatis to follow suit late in the 3rd to hand the match to Paire.

I watched him playing Gasquet in Paris last year, was getting absolutely rag-dolled and complaining about a sore toe, he was down a set and trailing 4-2 in the 2nd when I heard the physio saying "your only option is to quit", I stopped watching only to notice later that he'd won the 2nd set and was midway through the 3rd, he's an enigma, all the talent in the world with a huge self-destruct button hidden in his bag at all times.

Edited by ayrmad

:(.  He needed a good run before the Open in a couple of weeks.  Perversely, I think the best of 5 will do him good at this stage of his comeback, like if he has a dodgy set he still has time to make it up over the potential 5.