Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

This is his ten comebacks:

2006 Davis Cup: Andy Murray def. Andy Ram (2-6, 4-6, 7-5, 6-2, 6-3)
2008 Wimbledon R16: Andy Murray def. Richard Gasquet (5-7, 3-6, 7-6, 6-2, 6-4)
2008 US Open R32: Andy Murray def. Jurgen Melzer (6-7, 4-6, 7-6, 6-1, 6-3)
2010 French Open R128: Andy Murray def. Richard Gasquet (4-6, 6-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-1)
2011 French Open R16: Andy Murray def. Viktor Troicki (4-6, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 7-5)
2011 US Open R64: Andy Murray def. Robin Haase (6-7, 2-6, 6-2, 6-0, 6-4)
2013 Wimbledon: Andy Murray def Fernando Verdasco (4-6, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4, 7-5)
2015 US Open: Andy Murray def Adrian Mannarino (5-7, 4-6, 6-1, 6-3, 6-1)
2016 French Open: Andy Murray def Radek Stepanek (3-6, 3-6, 6-0, 6-3, 7-5)

2020 US Open:  Andy Murray def Yoshihito Nishioka (4-6, 4-6, 7-6, 7-6, 6-4)

The fourth time at the US Open, three times at the French Open, twice at Wimbledon and once in the Davis Cup.  He has never done it in the Australian Open.

Strangely the only person to have ever staged 0-2 comebacks in all the four slams is the enigmatic Fabio Fognini.

If that’s the last time we see him win a grand slam match, and I really hope it isn’t, but what a win to go out on. Kheredine Idessane dropping hints that he might not play his second round match though as his body is cooked.

I wonder if Murray would go full time doubles with his brother next year. Reckon he could win some more slams if he focuses on men’s doubles.

This is his ten comebacks:
2006 Davis Cup: Andy Murray def. Andy Ram (2-6, 4-6, 7-5, 6-2, 6-3)
2008 Wimbledon R16: Andy Murray def. Richard Gasquet (5-7, 3-6, 7-6, 6-2, 6-4)
2008 US Open R32: Andy Murray def. Jurgen Melzer (6-7, 4-6, 7-6, 6-1, 6-3)
2010 French Open R128: Andy Murray def. Richard Gasquet (4-6, 6-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-1)
2011 French Open R16: Andy Murray def. Viktor Troicki (4-6, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 7-5)
2011 US Open R64: Andy Murray def. Robin Haase (6-7, 2-6, 6-2, 6-0, 6-4)
2013 Wimbledon: Andy Murray def Fernando Verdasco (4-6, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4, 7-5)
2015 US Open: Andy Murray def Adrian Mannarino (5-7, 4-6, 6-1, 6-3, 6-1)
2016 French Open: Andy Murray def Radek Stepanek (3-6, 3-6, 6-0, 6-3, 7-5)
2020 US Open:  Andy Murray def Yoshihito Nishioka (4-6, 4-6, 7-6, 7-6, 6-4)
The fourth time at the US Open, three times at the French Open, twice at Wimbledon and once in the Davis Cup.  He has never done it in the Australian Open.
Strangely the only person to have ever staged 0-2 comebacks in all the four slams is the enigmatic Fabio Fognini.
Meltzer was the one where he flexed his bicepts afterwards [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Meltzer was the one where he flexed his bicepts afterwards emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

He may well have done it against Melzer, but he famously did that first in his match at Wimbledon with Gasquet, as a response to people saying his conditioning wasn't right.

If that’s the last time we see him win a grand slam match, and I really hope it isn’t, but what a win to go out on. Kheredine Idessane dropping hints that he might not play his second round match though as his body is cooked.

I wonder if Murray would go full time doubles with his brother next year. Reckon he could win some more slams if he focuses on men’s doubles.

Where you seeing this? All he’s said is he’s knackered after such a long match. Obviously he’ll have pretty bad DOMS and maybe sore toes after this but I don’t see why he’d pull out as long as his hip is fine (which it should be).

Where you seeing this? All he’s said is he’s knackered after such a long match. Obviously he’ll have pretty bad DOMS and maybe sore toes after this but I don’t see why he’d pull out as long as his hip is fine (which it should be).

Kheredine said on twitter that he next plays on Thursday “assuming his body can recover”

Murray is second on in the Night session of Ashe tomorrow.  Serena on first so should be taking the court from in and around 2am.

Tomorrow will be an excellent test for him.  I think he will gain a lot of confidence from knowing his body lasted that long.

He's still short of practice, his ball height after striking is pretty low anyway, but when out of practice he nets more often. 

His service motion is erratic, which is making it easier to read for his opponnets.  However his first serve when in is still a tremendous shot, he was phenomenal behind that in the fourth and fifth sets.

That should all come together the more he plays.  The only question mark is about recovery.  These young guys don't quite have the experience or guile to tough it out.  Felix will be looking for quick easy tennis.  Should be a cracking match.

Murray needs his 1st serve to be a lot better than last time.

The weakest part of Felix Auger-Aliassime's (henceforth known as FAA) game is his return of serve.  Other than that, he has an excellent all court game (including a volley that will stand him in good stead both here and at Wimbledon).

He's very very quick, and his backhand touch is possibly a match for Murray (which is saying something).

I really think he has a few majors in him.

He's also great to watch.

Good luck girny-loon, yer going to need it.

Yours aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

This is a better match up for Murray than Nishioka. While Auger-Aliassime is quick and possesses decent power, he can be inconsistent and won’t be as patient as Nishioka.

If Murray has recovered sufficiently I think he’ll win this. Playing on the slightly slower court here might actually benefit him.

Hopefully, but I'm not convinced.  For starters I think FAA is a much better player all round than Nishioka.

Murray also looked absolutely fucked by the end of the Nishioka match (and was hirpling about with his bad toes) afterwards.  I just can't see him being able to wait out the storm like he did with Nishioka.

In my heart;

A few more matches under Murray's belt and mibbees aye.

If Murray serves significantly better than he did against Nishioka, then mibbees aye.

If Murray is more agressive from the off than he was against Nishioka, then mibbees aye.

But...  In my head, I can't help but think he's going to be outgunned and outlasted by the young Canadian 😪

Still, you never know, so I'm going to set an alarm, just in case. 😉

Yours

aDONis

Not expecting much from Murray tonight to be honest and that's fine. I'm just glad he through a long 5 setter and the hip is ok. He's only played about 35 matches since 2017 so he just needs time on court.

To be honest, I think that's all he wanting at this slam. See how he copes in a best of 5 and is able to compete. Anything else is a bonus. 

Good win for Norrie last night. His side of the draw has really opened up. He has the most unusual backhand. Gives hope to all us amateurs whose backhand is shite.