Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

As for Konta I don't think she's a bottle merchant.  She just can't adapt her style to counter act opponents.  Her Plan A tennis is really good, but doesn't really have a Plan B.  She is a top 50 player that can play top 10 tennis because she is very effective at what she does well.
Not sure Loki, she threw a couple of Fantastic opportunities to reach slam finals by choking from promising positions. People called Murray a bottler but he wasnt because he was losing his slam finals against better players, however Konta is losing her opportunities against lesser players. Jury is out but imo, a choking gene may exist.

14 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Apropos of nothing

Thanks for that.

Features a few of his definitive shots - the hooked forehand down the line on the run is a specialty, and he's got to be one of the best lobbers ever. Who was the lank mutant he just kept lobbing at Wimbledon one year? He was like "I don't care if you're 9 feet tall, I'm going to draw you to the net just for the fun of going over you." And the lob to win the Davis Cup while the home fans were celebrating what looked like a certain point for Goffin was pure Murray.

If he never achieves anything again he's left us with buckets of great memories.

Was having a wee think there about who's the greatest male player ever to not win a Slam?  Statistics would dictate Marcelo Rios as he was World Number 1 despite never winning one.  

But I'm going for Dave Nalbandian.  The way he hit the ball was superb.  It looked great, it sounded great, and his net play and touch was immense.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Was having a wee think there about who's the greatest male player ever to not win a Slam?  Statistics would dictate Marcelo Rios as he was World Number 1 despite never winning one.  

But I'm going for Dave Nalbandian.  The way he hit the ball was superb.  It looked great, it sounded great, and his net play and touch was immense.

Most talented I've seen that didn't win a slam is Mecir. He won the tour finals and the Olympics among 11 major titles and had fantastic hands. But maybe the most unlucky is David Ferrer, who in another era would surely have had at least one French Open.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Most talented I've seen that didn't win a slam is Mecir. He won the tour finals and the Olympics among 11 major titles and had fantastic hands. But maybe the most unlucky is David Ferrer, who in another era would surely have had at least one French Open.

Ah yes, I've read about Mecir, seemed to always end up playing prime Lendl and getting bodied.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Ah yes, I've read about Mecir, seemed to always end up playing prime Lendl and getting bodied.

We didn't see him as much as we would have liked because in those days pretty much the only live tennis on British TV was Wimbledon. I was 13 when he made the semis there, he was two sets up against Edberg who came back to beat him. His career was pretty short and I don't think he'd have survived in the more powerful era of Becker, Agassi, Sampras etc. But what a player.

17 hours ago, GordonS said:

Thanks for that.

Features a few of his definitive shots - the hooked forehand down the line on the run is a specialty, and he's got to be one of the best lobbers ever. Who was the lank mutant he just kept lobbing at Wimbledon one year? He was like "I don't care if you're 9 feet tall, I'm going to draw you to the net just for the fun of going over you." And the lob to win the Davis Cup while the home fans were celebrating what looked like a certain point for Goffin was pure Murray.

If he never achieves anything again he's left us with buckets of great memories.

Ivo Karlovic.