Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Just watched Murray triple bagel Wawrinka 6-1, 6-3, 6-3 in the 4th round, in quite possibly the best performance I've seen from him. Some absolutely amazing backhands, making it look far too easy in about 2 hours.

He now faces del Potro in the quarters, who is on some run of form, although it has taken him four or more sets in three of his four games so far. If Murray gets through, he will in all likelihood face Nadal in the semis.

Murray has been quite lucky with regards to the draw, avoiding Federer (seeded 2nd), Djokovic (3), Davydenko (5) and Roddick (8) until the final, if he makes it that far of course.

Anyone know when he is scheduled to play del Potro?

Does anyone else much prefer the US Open to Wimbledon? Better atmposphere, better quality of tennis on a better surface, and better looking ballgirls.

Me :)

He now faces del Potro in the quarters, who is on some run of form, although it has taken him four or more sets in three of his four games so far. If Murray gets through, he will in all likelihood face Nadal in the semis.

Looking forward to watching the men's semi's then?

Just watched Murray triple bagel Wawrinka 6-1, 6-3, 6-3 in the 4th round,

Err, a triple bagel is 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 ;)

Thought Murray was excellent last night. Fancy Del Potro to beat him next round though. 4 sets.

Err, a triple bagel is 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 ;)

Thought Murray was excellent last night. Fancy Del Potro to beat him next round though. 4 sets.

Oh, I thought it just meant a straight sets victory. Sorry mate.

I'm really not sure how his next match will go. It has all the makings of a 5-setter though in my opinion.

Should be a cracker. I imagine it will be the night match?

You'd certainly like to think so, which is a bit sh*t for you guys back home, being on at such an odd hour. The organisers obviously thought his match against Wawrinka was going to be tight, given the time slot. Let's hope they're wrong again.

Have you seen much of this del Potro guy?

Have you seen much of this del Potro guy?

Yep. Argentinian, very tall, very big hitter. Won 24 matches in a row I think, and won his last 4 tournaments.

I think he will hit Murray off court to be honest. We shall see though!

Big Del Potro is a pragmatist. Massive serve, massive hitter all round. All the power he wants really. Not your everyday opponent at 6ft 6"-7" or whatever he is either. If Murray's strokes are even a touch short Del P will hammer the return, come to the net and from there the guy's virtually unplayable.

Despite his obvious threat I still reckon young Andy will have him - he's fried bigger fish before. He had little fuss dismissing Ivo Karlovic on two previous occasions who's bordering on 7ft. in height and has even more racquet power at his beckoning. Not to mention one of the best first services in the game.

Looks a good one on paper. I just hope Andy's prepared to defend the way he's done against the likes of Djokovic and Nadal in the past. If Potro's on form then he'll need to be patient.

Looks a good one on paper. I just hope Andy's prepared to defend the way he's done against the likes of Djokovic and Nadal in the past. If Potro's on form then he'll need to be patient.

Yeah, I seem to remember a quote from Djokovic when Murray won in Cincinnati, basically saying how much slower the game felt in comparison to his earlier rounds. Do you think Murray is technically superior to del Potro?

Interesting to note that Murray is best priced at 8/15 (Joe Corals), with del Potro 7/4. Make what you will of that.

Yeah, I seem to remember a quote from Djokovic when Murray won in Cincinnati, basically saying how much slower the game felt in comparison to his earlier rounds. Do you think Murray is technically superior to del Potro?

Interesting to note that Murray is best priced at 8/15 (Joe Corals), with del Potro 7/4. Make what you will of that.

Mhmm... Aye, but the gulf isn't massive.

I would say that the real edge Murray possesses is a mental one. He's a lot more head strong these days, no tantrums, no losing the plot. Mental stamina, you might even call him gritty. The slight advantage in terms of expierience Murray has counts considerably as well.

He's capable of that bit extra as a player too, he can come up with the sublime shots; unbelievable gets, passes et al. Just that extra knack for it all. Flair, whatever you want to term it.

Murray's a better player at this point in time, no doubt. Del Potro's been on a great run though and you can't discount form like his. It's very much who's what on the day.

Terrific. I was hoping for around the 2.2 mark on Betfair, but this is even better. I will be lumping on Del Potro. Probably my biggest bet of the year.

You don't mean... a whole brown back?! ;)

Nah, I see where you're coming from. Personally I couldn't call which way the match will go, but 7/4 for del Potro certainly represents value.

ah, I see where you're coming from. Personally I couldn't call which way the match will go, but 7/4 for del Potro certainly represents value.

Yes, it is far from a certainty. I think about 8/11 Murray and Evs Del Potro would be the way I'd price it up. Murray is deservedly favourite, but not by this margin for me!