Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I seen Naomi Broadly was saying that her opponent should have been disqualified for throwing her racquet at a ballboy, her opponent said the racquet slipped out of her hand. Haven't seen the clip yet, anyone able to confirm one way or the other?

Aye she shouldn't have gotten away with it. I think Broady got more annoyed that her opponent questioned her attitude more than her not getting a punishment.

I saw the incident and thought her opponent definitely threw it, rather than it slipping. She didn't deliberately throw it at a ball boy, just threw it in the direction without looking. Should have been disqualified. If it hit a line judge, without question the umpire would have disqualified her, even if it was a slip. She was lucky.

I watched the Murray match today, he was happy to be in first gear today. He was toying around with different tactics the last two matches. He is being more pro-active by coming to the net more often. Kyrgios played very well today, with a few trick shots added in. Although the ATP doesn't recognise the Hopman Cup, the ITF does. So the win will count if you ever go onto the ITF website to check up head to heads. I sometimes do as the ATP doesn't recognise challenger or futures events in the head to head count, but will list the results.

Great Britain beat Germany 3-0

Heather Watson beat Sabine Lisicki - 6-3 6-4

Andy Murray beat Alexander Zverev - 6-3 6-4

Watson/Murray beat Lisicki/Zverev - 6-3 6-4

GB needs France to beat Australia Green for a chance to get to the final.

That match is going to the doubles.

Nick Kyrgios beat Kenny de Schepper - 6-4 6-4

Caroline Garcia beat Daria Gavrilova 6-4 7-6 (9-7)

• 4 weeks later...

Not really Andy Murray related (perhaps the thread should be changed to general tennis thread) but Katie Swann will make her Fed Cup debut tomorrow, becoming the youngest ever GB player. She is 16.

Made the Junior Australian Open Final last year and was number two in the world last week. But as she never played the Open this year she has dropped to 13 in the world. Judy Murray is the coach and Heather Watson will play the other singles match.

Roger Federer has undergone knee surgery to fix a tear in the meniscus cartilage in his knee. It has been reported that he will be out for a month meaning he will have to pull out of Dubai and Rotterdam. He won Dubai last year so he will drop ranking points and two 0 will be held on his record for the next year. He also made the final of Indian Wells and his participation in that could also be in doubt as it starts in a months time.

Katie Swan made her debut today and won. Team GB won 3-0.

A bit of a surprise today with Novak Djokovic actually losing before a final for the first time since before the Australian Open 2015. He lost the first set against Feli Lopez 6-3 and consequently retired. He told his opponent it was an eye infection.

GB will begin their Davis Cup defence tomorrow against Japan.

Kyle Edmund was expected to play the two singles rubbers but he injured his back during practice means that Dan Evans will now play.

Evans has beaten Nishikori before and that was in the first round of the 2013 US Open.
Friday
Andy Murray v Taro Daniel
Dan Evans v Kei Nishikori
Saturday doubles
Dominic Inglot & Jamie Murray v Yoshihito Nishioka & Yasutaka Uchiyama
Sunday
Andy Murray v Kei Nishikori
Dan Evans v Taro Daniel

There are quite a few reasons I think Murray is playing. It's relatively good timing for him given he's not played since Australia and it's domestic so he's not too far from Kim, he'll get a good hit against another top class player and from a personal point of view it basically doesn't really matter. If they do get through I'd fully expect him to miss the next tie given the schedule. He obviously does enjoy the Davis Cup too, but I'd imagine that's a less significant factor.

I wouldn't imagine it will have the same pull, especially since ATP no longer awards ranking points for ITF competitions outside the Slams. No points will be awarded for the Davis Cup or Olympics this year.

Considering Murray's schedule recently it will be a good opportunity to play a good couple of matches in a competitive environment close to home.