Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Ah well, good effort, just not up to the standard of the Fed.

Tournament's been a good one though, and his time will come, I'm sure of it.

Agree with that, it's all a learning curve & the experience of Fed won out in the end.

Aye, if he's to win Grand Slams, he needs to work on that serve, particularly the second serve. It's his achilles heel.

It was a dodgy serve (and Sampras being around) which cost Agassi more Grand Slams than he got. A lot of similarities with him and Murray.

Not much to add. He played well and just needed to get more first serves in and cut down on the cheap points. Really shouldve nailed that tiebreak.

Federer is an arsehole but what a player.

"Kid, you're good but as long i'm around you will always be second best"

Sums it up

Step too far tonight. I think Stewarty summed it up well somewhat earlier in the thread. You don't beat Federer in a Slam when he's on a good day. Murray had the odd chance and ought to have put away the third set at least twice but basically Federer was unbeatable today. When guys like Del Potro have beaten him they've got lucky to get him not quite firing on all cylinders. Murray has been unlucky to get Federer in two Slam finals when he's been at his very best. I don't think it helps him much that he clearly irks Federer somewhat and leaves the Swiss a wee bit more determined against him than he is against others.

Back to the drawing board and another year most likely goes by if Federer doesn't get injured. Murray won't threaten at Roland Garros where last eight would be a decent achievement depending on his draw. He's even less likely to trouble Federer at Wimbledon than on hard courts so back to Flushing Meadow again before his next real chance most likely.

The boy can get his fitness to whatever level he wants, it won't make a difference if he doesn't work on the mental side of his game at the crucial points in the game, Fed was 2 or 3 levels above him at the crucial points.

Get a coach in to learn how to avoid negative tennis at those vital times, 7 slams to go for him b4 it's too late to win his 1st.

Murray joins the following list of men (in the Open era) with a 0-2 record in GS Finals

Steve Denton

Kevin Curren

Miroslav Mecir

Todd Martin

Cedric Pioline

Mark Phillipousis

No-one has a 0-3 (or worse) record so if he gets to another final he'll either win it or make history!

"Kid, you're good but as long i'm around you will always be second best"

Sums it up

Pretty much. I liked his pre-match thing in the Aussie paper where he was asked about Murray's chances and he said "They would be good, except he is playing, erm, me". :lol:

Different class from Federer - US Open final all over again. No disgrace for Murray to lose to someone who is just much much better than him. Get in there my son....

Comedy stuff from the Tennis Australia boy afterwards - "3 of the best sets of tennis you will ever see". Aye right mate. Good one.