Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Bedene is having a great run at the moment. It's amazing how close the rankings are from 50-100. Ward was is the 80's one week and now back into the 100's. Hopefully Ward and Edmund can get back into the top 100 in time for the US Open.

Its a real shame Bedene can't play Davis Cup.. He's an excellent player and would win more singles games than he'd lose I reckon.

He looks like a solid clay court player as well. Won a few tournaments this year on the surface.

Yeah.. He's got a decent serve too so can play in anything really.

Its a real shame Bedene can't play Davis Cup.. He's an excellent player and would win more singles games than he'd lose I reckon.

I believe he is taking into the court of arbitration. Main argument being that in other sports you can change and play for another nation if you haven't played competitively. The three matches he did play in Davis Cup were dead rubbers (you can not gain any ranking points for dead rubbers) and since moving to the UK has elected to not be picked for Davis Cup at all.

His application for British Citizenship was lodged before ITF changed their rules on eligibility. It isn't likely he will represent GB at this time, but he might in the future. The ITF's main argument is that the richer nations will hoover up all the talent. But this happens anyway.

I suspect Bedene might win with CAS. Would be interesting to see what GB would do for the semi if he were available. Clearly the better player but don't want to upset the group dynamic (OK don't want to upset Andy). The players do seem to have welcomed Bedene into the fold though and Murray wants to win. Bedene gives you a significantly better chance at doing that rather than relying on a fortunate draw and one great performance from Ward.

Tough match for him today, 0-4 against Fognini in his career.

Reporting Scotland just there saying they reckon the Davis Cup tie will be at the Emirates.

Pleasing.

Yeah just read on the BBC website that Florence and Machine would not change her gig date at Manchester Arena and now Glasgow's Emirates Arena now favorite to host the tie. :)

Haha yeah I can really see a musician pissing off their own fans by cancelling a gig and rescheduling it at a months notice just to play tennis. This shouldn't even be mentioned in the news. Just announce the venue without the excuses of where it could have been. Andy Murray told Lleyton Hewitt it was going to be in Glasgow. I think the LTA would have been more worried about pissing off their star player than sweet talking Florence into a new gig.

With the way Peers and Murray are playing currently in will be quite interesting if they play against each other in the doubles rubber in the Davis Cup. The team is 5th in the race to London and both have their highest doubles ranking of 18.

Anyway Andy Murray played his first hard court match of the summer last night when he teamed up with Daniel Nestor in the Men's Doubles. Nestor is a multiple slam champion in doubles and will be 43 next month. The lost 10-3 in the champions tie break after taking the first set rather easily 6-2. The schedule isn't out for tomorrow yet but he will be due to play Gabashvilli at some point tomorrow. They have only played once last year where Murray won relatively easily one and five.

Mixed feelings about A Glasgow tie.. Would have been awesome in the Hydro but for the roof problem.

I'd rather it had been in the bigger venue in Manchester.. Tickets will be gold dust for the Emirates.

LTA membership comes in handy though.

Yeah not sure the tickets will make it to public sale, would be confident of getting tickets as an LTA member though. Just come across this story on Andy Murray that was on the Guardian but pulled from there after getting just about everything wrong imaginable.

http://www.footytube.com/news/guardian/andy-murray-sacked-as-a-football-manager-by-gloating-borussia-dortmund-L41353

Truly bizarre.

Anyway, Peers hasn't been getting in the Aussie team presumably in part because they like the increased options that 4 singles players gives you, but he is their highest ranked doubles player and obviously knows Jamie's game well so they might opt to bring him into the fold in some way.