Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Murray has a better draw than Djokovic for Paris: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_BNP_Paribas_Masters_–_Singles

On paper, other than Nishikori in the semis, you can't really see anyone giving him much trouble in reaching another final. Both Raonic and Berdych have been stinking of late.

Djokovic could have to play Dimitrov in the third round, Cilic in the quarters and Stan in the semis.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind...

Not like Andy to get a bit of luck in a draw tbf, he's certainly putting everything into trying to get that number one spot. Hopefully he can bag the full 500 points in Vienna, between Paris and the Tour Finals Djokovic has 2300 points to defend compared to Andy's 800.

12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Oh dear, how sad, never mind...

Not like Andy to get a bit of luck in a draw tbf, he's certainly putting everything into trying to get that number one spot. Hopefully he can bag the full 500 points in Vienna, between Paris and the Tour Finals Djokovic has 2300 points to defend compared to Andy's 800.

If he wins Vienna and Paris he's number 1.

1 minute ago, ajwffc said:

I think only if Djokovic fails to get past the semi final?

I'm sure I heard on the radio that the points from last years WTF come off early.

They come off between Paris and the WTF. But he will be just short if Dojokvic gets past the semis

Think the date I saw was November 7th for last year's WTF points to drop off, I'm sure you are right that Djokovic needs to go out before the final for Andy to bag top spot next week, positive that's what they said on TV the other day.

17 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

They come off between Paris and the WTF. But he will be just short if Dojokvic gets past the semis

Looks like you're correct, by a bloody bawhair.

As much as I would like to see Andy reach number 1 by the wtf I think djoko will just do enough to scrape it. Fair play to Andy though he's giving it his all and shown that he has the credentials to challenge for the number 1 spot ! Some lad.

Even if Murray doesn't manage Number 1 this season he looks a near certainty reach top spot early in the new season if he keeps his form up, between the Aus open and the 1st 4 Masters events Novak is defending 5010 points against Andy's 2210, Andy also gets 275 points for the Davis Cup lobbed off shortly.

Novak has 4 wins and a last 32 to defend in those 5 events, Andy has 2 finals, 1 semi final and 2 last 32's to defend.

Edited by ayrmad

A question for folk on here: honestly, how many slams do you think it's likely Murray will finish his career with?

Currently, I think six is very much a possibility and perhaps likely given Stan has won three starting from essentially the same age as Murray is now. I would say eight is probably the ceiling, which he's unlikely to achieve but it's certainly not impossible. It would probably require him to have the sort of season Djokovic, Nadal and Federer have all had and win three in a single year, or maybe two in 2017 and two in 2018. Otherwise, one major per year throughout 2017, 2018 and 2019 doesn't seem at all far-fetched.

I've said before that I think it would be a travesty if he doesn't end his career with double his current number, in order to truly cement himself in that Becker, Edberg, Wilander and McEnroe bracket of greats.

Edited by Elixir

A question for folk on here: honestly, how many slams do you think it's likely Murray will finish his career with?

Currently, I think six is very much a possibility and perhaps likely given Stan has won three starting from essentially the same age as Murray is now. I would say eight is probably the ceiling, which he's unlikely to achieve but it's certainly not impossible. It would probably require him to have the sort of season Djokovic, Nadal and Federer have all had and win three in a single year, or maybe two in 2017 and two in 2018. Otherwise, one major per year throughout 2017, 2018 and 2019 doesn't seem at all far-fetched.

I've said before that I think it would be a travesty if he doesn't end his career with double his current number, in order to truly cement himself in that Becker, Edberg, Wilander and McEnroe bracket of greats.

Interestly enough Edberg won 4 and becker 5 - so that's achievable
Imo I think he will win 1 oz and 1 or 2 more Wimbledons so I reckon he will finish on 5 or 6.
Add that to him being a double Olympic singles champion and a world number 1 (confident he will make that ).... then he will be cemented as a tennis great and inducted into hall of fame

28 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Interestly enough Edberg won 4 and becker 5 - so that's achievable
Imo I think he will win 1 oz and 1 or 2 more Wimbledons so I reckon he will finish on 5 or 6.
Add that to him being a double Olympic singles champion and a world number 1 (confident he will make that ).... then he will be cemented as a tennis great and inducted into hall of fame

Edberg and Becker both won six.

Edited by Elixir