Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Huge number of outlets reporting that Williams showed a huge amount of class in asking the crowd to stop booing. Completely ignoring the fact she acted like a complete arsehole before that, which led to the situation in the first place.

The whole “they don’t penalise the men for it” argument is ridiculous too. There is obviously an inherent lack of fairness if the men aren’t penalised, but she seems to think she should be let off with it, rather than the rule being enforced for everyone.

In fairness, they receive equal prize money but the men make far more in endorsements. 

I've never seen the problem with coaching, either. 

She's still acted like a twat, though. The worst part was when she used "I have a daughter" as if that was some sort of guarantee of personal decency. So did Stalin you moaning twat. 

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Huge number of outlets reporting that Williams showed a huge amount of class in asking the crowd to stop booing. Completely ignoring the fact she acted like a complete arsehole before that, which led to the situation in the first place.

The whole “they don’t penalise the men for it” argument is ridiculous too. There is obviously an inherent lack of fairness if the men aren’t penalised, but she seems to think she should be let off with it, rather than the rule being enforced for everyone.

Serena Williams is one of the "in crowd" and is basically untouchable, hence the reason the media outlets are reporting the story as her being "wronged" as opposed to the real story which is that she got humped by her opponent and then threw a tantrum, abused the umpire and made a mockery of one of Tennis's flagship events.

She SHOULD be getting vilified in the press and be looking at a huge fine / ban from the Tennis federation for her totally unacceptable  behaviour but instead it's being allowed to be turned into some pathetic womens rights fight.

What a joke modern journalism has become..................

In fairness, they receive equal prize money but the men make far more in endorsements. 
I've never seen the problem with coaching, either. 
She's still acted like a twat, though. The worst part was when she used "I have a daughter" as if that was some sort of guarantee of personal decency. So did Stalin you moaning twat. 

If that’s some kind of guarantee of honesty then I’m going to have to start trusting people a lot more.

Carlos Ramos is one of the few umpires that gives out warnings to all players irrespective of gender. Nadal and Djokovic have all made complaints as he doesn’t give soft warnings.

I think Serena should go ask Nick Kyrgios to see if he feels he gets away with anything he wants.

Her coach clearly made gestures that could be interpreted as coaching, Serena gave him the thumbs up. To me that can only be interpreted as coaching.

The other warnings were justified. In her press conference she stated that she called him a thief as he stole the game from her. She called him a thief before that hence the game penalty.

I’ve seen many game penalties awarded, but only as it’s their third warning. Serena should know better, and it’s not the first time she’s had a melt down at the US Open.

The only issue here seems to be that Ramos made the mistake of (correctly) responding to Queen Serena's antics rather than ignoring them. A whole load of whataboutery defensing her behaviour, primarily because of who she is rather than anyone else. Naturally the umpire should've done nothing whilst having his integrity was being called into question...

Astonishing to see Williams being praised from some for showing class by telling the crowd not to boo. The crowd, of course, would not have been booing had a certain someone not thrown a prolonged hissy fit. 

Sincerely hope there are enough out there to publicly defend the umpire, since the written narrative seems to be that Williams was wronged. The sort of nonsense levied at him is the stuff that destroys careers. 

To talk about the game itself though, I don’t watch much women’s tennis, but last night (first set especially) was a great advert for the game. Thought it was brilliant quality. One of the most enjoyable tennis matches I’ve watched for both quality and drama!

Watched the highlights of this earlier from the point of her being penalised a point after reading about it this morning.

Williams was bang out of order the entire way through it with the way she was acting. The point where she said "you'll never umpire me again as long as you live" was a personal highlight. It was disappointing that the commentators couldn't bring themselves to really condemn Williams for her behaviour.

Good on the umpire, and good on Osaka for keeping her concentration through the entire farce and getting the job done.

You can't very well call the umpire a thief and expect to get away with it.  

That said, there's a completely different tone in the coverage of Serena's "meltdown" to McInroe, or to baseball ejections, for example.  You also don't get any of the, "ah well, but it least she proves she cares"  reaction which happens regularly to excuse male athletes (red cards in football being a very obvious example).  Look at how the BBC report talks of Williams' "maternal instinct" kicking in during the prize giving ceremony.  

It seems to me to be that there are two issues at play here, one to do with enforcing the rules of tennis, and the other to do with the implied double standards in the media coverage.

Framing the whole thing as Serena vs the umpire misses part of that, I feel.

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Watched the highlights of this earlier from the point of her being penalised a point after reading about it this morning.

Williams was bang out of order the entire way through it with the way she was acting. The point where she said "you'll never umpire me again as long as you live" was a personal highlight. It was disappointing that the commentators couldn't bring themselves to really condemn Williams for her behaviour.

Good on the umpire, and good on Osaka for keeping her concentration through the entire farce and getting the job done.

The commentators, journalists, past players

None of them can bring themselves to say it as it is

She's a disgrace

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

You can't very well call the umpire a thief and expect to get away with it.  

That said, there's a completely different tone in the coverage of Serena's "meltdown" to McInroe, or to baseball ejections, for example.  You also don't get any of the, "ah well, but it least she proves she cares"  reaction which happens regularly to excuse male athletes (red cards in football being a very obvious example).  Look at how the BBC report talks of Williams' "maternal instinct" kicking in during the prize giving ceremony.  

It seems to me to be that there are two issues at play here, one to do with enforcing the rules of tennis, and the other to do with the implied double standards in the media coverage.

Framing the whole thing as Serena vs the umpire misses part of that, I feel.

You're feeding into her bullshit excuses for her disgraceful behaviour