Who Will Be Motherwell's Next Permanent Manager?

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Dickov's went from 25/1 yesterday to odds on favourite at 4/6 with all the bookmakers, Ladbrokes and Paddy Power now stopped taking bets on it and have suspended the betting.

Eh? Surely some kind of hoax.

I posted this up on Steelmen the other day but thought I'd drop it in this thread as well. Though win % is hardly an ideal gauge of success/failure at a club it's enough to give a broad bit of direction. I was curious to know whether there was actually any correlation between how "well" a manager was perceived done had a club directly prior to taking on the Motherwell job and how things actually ended up working out for them, I've added in their win % with us next to their name.

Draw your own conclusions;

Baraclough (35.29%):
Silgo Rovers - 51.16%
Scunthorpe - 23.53%

McCall (41.95%):
Bradford - 34.59%

Brown (46.67%):
Preston - 33.96%

Gannon (28%):
Stockport - 43.41%
Dundalk - 36.11%

McGhee (39.77%):
Brighton - 28.78%
Millwall - 46.01%
Wolves - 40.88%
Leicester - 31.37%
Reading - 43.17%

Malpas (31.82%):
First managerial appointment

Butcher (32.49%):
Sunderland (1993) - 30.23%
Coventry (1990-92) - 33.33%

Black (25.93%):

Davies (33.33%):

Kampman (27.27%):
Information not available

McLeish (30.77%):

I posted this up on Steelmen the other day but thought I'd drop it in this thread as well. Though win % is hardly an ideal gauge of success/failure at a club it's enough to give a broad bit of direction. I was curious to know whether there was actually any correlation between how "well" a manager was perceived done had a club directly prior to taking on the Motherwell job and how things actually ended up working out for them, I've added in their win % with us next to their name.

Draw your own conclusions;

Baraclough (35.29%):

Silgo Rovers - 51.16%

Scunthorpe - 23.53%

McCall (41.95%):

Bradford - 34.59%

Brown (46.67%):

Preston - 33.96%

Gannon (28%):

Stockport - 43.41%

Dundalk - 36.11%

McGhee (39.77%):

Brighton - 28.78%

Millwall - 46.01%

Wolves - 40.88%

Leicester - 31.37%

Reading - 43.17%

Malpas (31.82%):

Butcher (32.49%):

Sunderland (1993) - 30.23%

Coventry (1990-92) - 33.33%

Black (25.93%):

Davies (33.33%):

Kampman (27.27%):

Information not available

McLeish (30.77%):

Interesting to see that - underlines why I was so pissed off when Brown fucked off and it shows how good McCall was given those stats include the horror end to his time...

On Simo, if he really was the target we were after (which I remain to be convinced about), we could surely do a phone interview with him on the quiet and then wait until we can do it officially given our next games are against sellic and Aberdeen and so we are highly likely to take f**k-all regardless of manager and things are relatively stable with Craigan in charge...

Interesting to see that - underlines why I was so pissed off when Brown fucked off and it shows how good McCall was given those stats include the horror end to his time...

The thing is those figures don't really give you much by way of context. For example what the state of the team was whenever the manager took over etc.

My argument with McCall is that he did well with a good team that he inherited but then you've got the likes of McLeish who managed to systematically dismantle one of the best Motherwell teams I've ever seen.

McGhee took over a team that finished 10th the previous season and went on to finish 3rd.

Similarly though the part I find most interesting is that it gives a general sense of which type of appointments have worked. Broadly speaking you've got 3 types;

- First time managers (Black, Malpas et al)

- Managers with a good record at a lower level (Gannon, Baraclough)

- Managers with a decent reputation but trying to rebuild their career (McCall, McGhee et al)

Given neither Gannon or or Baraclough lasted a calendar year it'd be fair to say that that sort of appointment hasn't worked well for us nor have the first time managers.

By far the most stable appointments have been those who have a failure or two behind them but have experience at a decent level.

Archived