Beastie Boys

Doc Sportello

What's pish about it? You haven't posted a single coherent or relevant argument. All you've done is say "no.. noo... THEY WEREN'T FROM THE GHETOOO, so it can't have influenced it!!111!!". You've had ample time to post some other acts that were writing about the same subject matter as the Beastie Boys in 1986 and haven't done so.

Regardless of how big or small it was, they had(by the very definition of the word) some sort of influence on the genre of gangsta rap with the release of LTI.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to argue about things online it's not a good look but offering to agree to disagree is patronising and makes it sounds like you have a valid point. This is just something I know quite a lot about and if you don't want to take my word for it then it's fine but it doesn't make you right.

Aye so anyway....

I have absolutely no memory of hearing anything from the first album first time round, but I remember when Paul's Boutique came out thinking it was pretty good, and then Check Your Head was even better. But that was about all I thought at the time.

Then Ill Communication came out and it absolutely knocked me sideways...it was almost all I listened to for about 6 months. That led me to going back and re-visiting Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head Again, and that was me nailed on obsessed for a long long time.

Don't know if it's more to do with missing it first time round, but even now I've still never really taken to Licence to Ill. Some good tunes on it obviously, but it's very very rare that it gets a listen.

Hello Nasty and To The 5 Boroughs are both excellent, but I did think their last album was really weak, and had it not been for the passing of MCA I think they would have wound things down anyway.

One of the best live acts i've seen...so off-the-cuff and i'm led to believe that MMM never revealed in advance what records he was going to mix in to back them on each track, so it was as much a surprise for the 3 and kept them on their toes the whole time! Loved it though as you'd be in the crowd thinking "ohhhhh shitt!", look up, and also see the 3 of them going "ohhhh shitt!".

Sadly missed act and one who (rarely), I actually think not only gets the credit they are due from the industry, their peers, and those who came after them, but also fully deserves it.

I hate to argue about things online it's not a good look but offering to agree to disagree is patronising and makes it sounds like you have a valid point. This is just something I know quite a lot about and if you don't want to take my word for it then it's fine but it doesn't make you right.

But I do think I have a valid point. All I've really said is that LTI was one of the first hip-hop releases to feature lyrics about the sort of content that went on to be a major part of gangster rap. And in my mind that counts as having some sort of influence, even if was a small and indirect one. You obviously see this as flat-out wrong, and a lot of hip-hop fanatics would probably agree. It pretty much just centres on what your personal view on the term "influence" in this context actually entails.

Aye so anyway....

I have absolutely no memory of hearing anything from the first album first time round, but I remember when Paul's Boutique came out thinking it was pretty good, and then Check Your Head was even better. But that was about all I thought at the time.

Then Ill Communication came out and it absolutely knocked me sideways...it was almost all I listened to for about 6 months. That led me to going back and re-visiting Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head Again, and that was me nailed on obsessed for a long long time.

Don't know if it's more to do with missing it first time round, but even now I've still never really taken to Licence to Ill. Some good tunes on it obviously, but it's very very rare that it gets a listen.

Hello Nasty and To The 5 Boroughs are both excellent, but I did think their last album was really weak, and had it not been for the passing of MCA I think they would have wound things down anyway.

One of the best live acts i've seen...so off-the-cuff and i'm led to believe that MMM never revealed in advance what records he was going to mix in to back them on each track, so it was as much a surprise for the 3 and kept them on their toes the whole time! Loved it though as you'd be in the crowd thinking "ohhhhh shitt!", look up, and also see the 3 of them going "ohhhh shitt!".

Sadly missed act and one who (rarely), I actually do think not only gets the credit they are due from the industry, their peers, and those who came after them, but also fully deserves it.

I love Hot Sauce Committee! Make Some Noise and Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament are two of my favourite Beastie Boys songs.

I think they got a lot of credit tbh. A lot more than others that released great albums at the same time.

Duno if you read my last line wrongly because I worded it terribly (just edited it for clarity), but I agree... That's what I meant.

You might think you have a valid point but it wasn't an influence in any way tbh. In 2016 I'll have been listening to hip hop for 3 decades so you could probably take my word for it.

Even if you're right, you've just lost the argument with that line.

Don't know what you mean there tbh. I think that hip hop is probably the most misrepresented genre of music there is.

Oh, come now. There are a lot of folk who think Country & Western is nothing but incest and misery, and they're quite wrong.

I understand there's some dancing involved too.

Archived