Most famous Scot of all time

Antlion

Who's your pick and why?

Mary, Queen of Scots? An iconic figure who spent most of her life outside Scotland, and had a pretty miserable time in (thanks to her subjects favouring English Protestantism).

Rabbie Burns? The Scottish bard. Lad. Arguably a bit of an arse-kisser to the nobility.

William Wallace? Made famous, annoyingly, through a Holywood movie.

Rob Roy? The Scottish Robin Hood, romanticised by Sir Walter Scott (who might qualify himself).

Robert the Bruce? The apocryphal tale of him watching the spider has to qualify him for international fame.

Macbeth? Thanks to Shakespeare, but his actual life was very different - he was regarded as a pretty successful leader who defeated Duncan in battle, not with a bloody dagger.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's your pick and why?

Mary, Queen of Scots? An iconic figure who spent most of her life outside Scotland, and had a pretty miserable time in (thanks to her subjects favouring English Protestantism).

Rabbie Burns? The Scottish bard. Lad. Arguably a bit of an arse-kisser to the nobility.

William Wallace? Made famous, annoyingly, through a Holywood movie.

Rob Roy? The Scottish Robin Hood, romanticised by Sir Walter Scott (who might qualify himself).

Robert the Bruce? The apocryphal tale of him watching the spider has to qualify him for international fame.

Macbeth? Thanks to Shakespeare, but his actual life was very different - he was regarded as a pretty successful leader who defeated Duncan in battle, not with a bloody dagger.

Burns an arse kisser? Where you getting that from?

Considering so little is known about Wallace I reckon burns takes it for famousness.

Burns an arse kisser? Where you getting that from?

Considering so little is known about Wallace I reckon burns takes it for famousness.

Probably right about fame, although I reckon MQoS might beat him in terms of international interest, books written on the subject, films made, etc.

I picked up him being a bit of a brown-noser from a documentary about him last year. It suggested that he was eager to get into the houses of the nobility as a bit of an exaggerated rustic, playing up his lowly background (and juxtaposing it with his literary wit) for their delight in him being a clever and comical little flower who sprang from a hayseed. It could have been horrifically biased, of course, and doesn't detract from the man's body of work even if true.

Probably right about fame, although I reckon MQoS might beat him in terms of international interest, books written on the subject, films made, etc.

I picked up him being a bit of a brown-noser from a documentary about him last year. It suggested that he was eager to get into the houses of the nobility as a bit of an exaggerated rustic, playing up his lowly background (and juxtaposing it with his literary wit) for their delight in him being a clever and comical little flower who sprang from a hayseed. It could have been horrifically biased, of course, and doesn't detract from the man's body of work even if true.

Ah so his Edinburgh days?

He was whoring himself out for a good time and wining and dining with the great and good there's no doubt. But his poetry is always fairly stinging in terms of titles and the like.

His principle in the respect is undoubtedly intact (even if he was blowing smoke up their arse for a feed and a bevvy).

Neil fucking Armstrong?

Archived