World cup 2018 campaign

That looks like a really good move for him.  I'd be interested to see how many national teams of about our level have such a high concentration of their players playing in so few leagues.  Hopefully he gets plenty of game time and the sort of better coaching and culture/lifestyle he wouldn't get in Scotland or England.  

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

That looks like a really good move for him.  I'd be interested to see how many national teams of about our level have such a high concentration of their players playing in so few leagues.  Hopefully he gets plenty of game time and the sort of better coaching and culture/lifestyle he wouldn't get in Scotland or England.  

I'd say we're more diverse than England, for starters, their entire squad comes from the EPL.

More than England, sure, but I was thinking more of other countries of similar populations and rankings-levels.  Much as England tends to overrate its own significance in football terms, they have been able to field a second-level international side (not true elite, but OK) for ages made up almost exclusively of home-based players.  Whereas teams like Scotland and ROI wouldn't get very far at all doing the same thing. 

Guest DAVIDB69
Anya being linked with Newcastle.

Looks like he is off to derby probably wise was never going to be getting many games for Watford

I know these things don't decide who qualifies but what a great time England are playing Slovakia away at. Sunday afternoon in September, atmosphere non-existent. We go on a Tuesday night in October, no doubt the place will be a bear-pit.

Unsure what to hope for in this one. England taking six points from them would be so helpful for us trying to finish second.

Hoping Slovenia slip up in Lithuania also. Both games 0-0, 25 mins in.

Would suit Scotland Lithuania beating Slovenia and if England and Slovakia ended a draw.

Surely we would prefer a draw in the Lithuania match and England to win?

There's not much chance of us finishing above England so we surely want them to win all their games (with two obvious exceptions)?

And I'd have thought Lithuania could pick up a head of steam just as much as Slovenia so would rather fewer points came from that game.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Surely we would prefer a draw in the Lithuania match and England to win?

There's not much chance of us finishing above England so we surely want them to win all their games (with two obvious exceptions)?

And I'd have thought Lithuania could pick up a head of steam just as much as Slovenia so would rather fewer points came from that game.

Im still hopeful England have a shitemare in this campaign and miss out altogether.  

16 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Im still hopeful England have a shitemare in this campaign and miss out altogether.  

You'll probably be disappointed.  England pretty much always do well in qualifying.  

Results pretty much went perfectly for us yesterday.  For all that I'd love to see us take points off of England, the games against us are the exact ones that they'll probably be able to lift themselves for.  They won't dazzle at any point in the group, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't go through the group unbeaten.  Could even win every game.  And that's not a bad thing.  Anyone that thinks otherwise should cast their mind back to Germany's hilarious shanking of our group last time out.  Had they done what England may well do, we would have been in at least the playoffs, and may well have qualified automatically (I can't be bothered checking that last one).  

It's only one game admittedly, but starting to look like a nailed on battle between ourselves and Slovakia for who finishes second.  

Was not surprised to see Crystal Skull Skrtel get sent off, the man is a liability, just wind hi, up and he will get sent off! Had 0-0 written all over it until he was sent off.

If they gave out a Trophy for Qualifying England would win it every time, makes no difference though as they cant cope with the pressure when it comes to the real thing when they get there.

England have qualified strongly in recent campaigns, but it's a myth to say they always make it.

They missed two tournaments in the 70s, one in the 80s, one in the 90s and one in the noughties.  They're actually due to miss one in the teens and this is their last chance.

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Quick one. Probably elsewhere.. but does the best second place from groups auto qualify?

Nope. The 8 best runners up go to a playoff, points against the team who finish 6th don't count towards the best runners up table.

Archived