whats the problem with scottish football

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Footballers on the off season were treated as kids, they were given heart rate monitors to monitor their training and specific drills to complete to keep their fitness ticking over. But when they returned from their summer break they'd to submit the monitors and the coaches would check they had done the training they were supposed to do.

I just couldn't see boxers or MMA fighters or any other athletes being required to prove they had done their training, they would accept responsibility their own fitness and get it done. Footballers tended to have a mindset that if they could evade training then they would. Pathetic.

Here are the stats from the FIFA Big Count 2010... As you can see we've far fewer players than Poland or Eire in organised football but more clubs.

Germany

Reg'd Players ... 6,308,946

Football Clubs ... 26,837

Poland

Reg'd Players ... 656,964

Football Clubs ... 5,891

Eire

Reg'd Players ... 252,844

Football Clubs ... 5,828

Scotland

Reg'd Players ... 111,089

Football Clubs ... 6,727

Georgia

Reg'd Players ... 26,786

Football Clubs ... 209

It's longer ago but the FIFA Big Count 2006 carried more detail, in so far as it broke things down into Adult and Youth, and Teams as well as Clubs.

Germany

Adult Pros ... 864

Adult Ams ... 4,221,170

Reg'd Youth ... 2,081,912

Clubs ... 25,922

Teams ... 170,480

Poland

Adult Pros ... 1,202

Adult Ams ... 465,854

Reg'd Youth ... 185,808

Clubs ... 5,690

Teams ... 13,245

Eire

Adult Pros ... 476

Adult Ams ... 77,870

Reg'd Youth ... 174,498

Clubs ... 5,629

Teams ... 15,025

Scotland

Adult Pros ... 4,132

Adult Ams ... 39,234

Reg'd Youth ... 67,123

Clubs ... 6,600

Teams ... 8,200

Georgia

Adult Pros ... 1,279

Adult Ams ... 1,137

Reg'd Youth ... 23,990

Clubs ... 202

Teams ... 522

Anyone who looks at a country like Eire and thinks we should be streets ahead of them should take a look at those figures and perhaps think again.

It's interesting that we have similar numbers of clubs to Eire, but half as many teams and fewer than half as many registered players.

No surprise that we've many more professionals, given the tiers of our game, but surprised to see the low Polish and German figures for this.

I like to think that participation must be improving, given the huge advance in facilities here, even in just the last decade.

It's strange though to see that so few here play, given the ubiquity of the sport.

I'd be slightly suspicious of some of the results in that the headings might not represent quite the same thing everywhere. It's sobering to see how we compare to Ireland in this regard though. I'd just assumed, perhaps naively, that our levels of obsession were at least broadly reflected in participation, as well as in attendance.

It's simplistic to relate this to our obesity issues of course, but that doesn't necessarily mean that no link exists.

Here are the stats from the FIFA Big Count 2010... As you can see we've far fewer players than Poland or Eire in organised football but more clubs.

Germany

Reg'd Players ... 6,308,946

Football Clubs ... 26,837

Poland

Reg'd Players ... 656,964

Football Clubs ... 5,891

Eire

Reg'd Players ... 252,844

Football Clubs ... 5,828

Scotland

Reg'd Players ... 111,089

Football Clubs ... 6,727

Georgia

Reg'd Players ... 26,786

Football Clubs ... 209

It's longer ago but the FIFA Big Count 2006 carried more detail, in so far as it broke things down into Adult and Youth, and Teams as well as Clubs.

Germany

Adult Pros ... 864

Adult Ams ... 4,221,170

Reg'd Youth ... 2,081,912

Clubs ... 25,922

Teams ... 170,480

Poland

Adult Pros ... 1,202

Adult Ams ... 465,854

Reg'd Youth ... 185,808

Clubs ... 5,690

Teams ... 13,245

Eire

Adult Pros ... 476

Adult Ams ... 77,870

Reg'd Youth ... 174,498

Clubs ... 5,629

Teams ... 15,025

Scotland

Adult Pros ... 4,132

Adult Ams ... 39,234

Reg'd Youth ... 67,123

Clubs ... 6,600

Teams ... 8,200

Georgia

Adult Pros ... 1,279

Adult Ams ... 1,137

Reg'd Youth ... 23,990

Clubs ... 202

Teams ... 522

Anyone who looks at a country like Eire and thinks we should be streets ahead of them should take a look at those figures and perhaps think again.

but they don't of course, they look at the respective leagues and club "histories" and make judgements based on that, because Dunfermline got to a European semi final in 1968 we should be better than Eire

If we were comparing leagues it would be a totally different matter, of course... Their league has low attendances and corresponding finance, quality of players, competition, recruitment from overseas, and so forth.

However the basic foundation of any national team is the pool of people participating in the sport. Fewer people play here, kids and adults.

The Irish figures have been queried before as the FAI consider 5 a side and kick abouts as participation. Growing up in Ireland we rarely played Gaelic outside of the GAA club but after school we would play football or indoor football. Also outside of Dublin and the other cities football is not as well organised but every parish and half parish has a GAA team with teams from u6 to senior.

The Irish senior team is heavily reliant on Dublin for players or the disapora. If you look at the Irish born players the other night that started only O'Shea and Given not dubs

The Irish figures have been queried before as the FAI consider 5 a side and kick abouts as participation. Growing up in Ireland we rarely played Gaelic outside of the GAA club but after school we would play football or indoor football. Also outside of Dublin and the other cities football is not as well organised but every parish and half parish has a GAA team with teams from u6 to senior.

The Irish senior team is heavily reliant on Dublin for players or the disapora. If you look at the Irish born players the other night that started only O'Shea and Given not dubs

Possibly, however even adding estimated Unregistered* players - where we claim many more - they're still slightly ahead (1k).

* "Army, Schools, Universities, Street Football"

based on what?

Exactly. Assuming we win tonight, that will be just 1 away win and only 5 points from a possible 15. That's abysmal form. If we couldn't even get a point in Georgia, would we have got even a point in Greece, Romania, Hungary or Finland? Our away form is pretty awful and there is huge scope for messing up those games, especially given our mentality and how we usually play in away fixtures.

Of course we could have won them; there's no way of knowing. Our group wasn't a particularly hard one in terms of challenging for 2nd or at least looking for a play off place.

Exactly. Assuming we win tonight, that will be just 1 away win and only 5 points from a possible 15. That's abysmal form. If we couldn't even get a point in Georgia, would we have got even a point in Greece, Romania, Hungary or Finland? Our away form is pretty awful and there is huge scope for messing up those games, especially given our mentality and how we usually play in away fixtures.

Of course we could have won them; there's no way of knowing. Our group wasn't a particularly hard one in terms of challenging for 2nd or at least looking for a play off place.

In terms of away points, only Germany (before tonight) has beaten any other of the top 4 placed teams away from home thus far, its been a tight group over the piece. Losing in Georgia was obviously the main f**k up whilst all our rivals succeeded there.

Perhaps not taking points off Germany while others have is of more importance ;)

I think that you could never have touched a rugby ball until you were at high school and take the game up late and still be able to potentially perform at a decent level, same goes for boxing and other sports as the skill level required to survive isn't so intricate as football. If you hadn't kicked a ball and took up football at even the age of 8 or 9 you would never catch up.

That isn't said to denigrate rugby or boxing, just that there is a different ratio of skill to athleticism required in football, though Mayweather and the elite rugby boys are every bit as skillful as the likes of Aguero...

I've seen the dedication of others in different sports like you say though and it is incomparable to football

Tbf England just tried to parachute a player in to their side who was a great athlete from a vaguely similar sport and he was totallyshown up....virtually no decent players in rugby will have started after the age of ten. The sru are now working really hard on primary school age developmentto try to catch up with sh kids who get a ball in their hand from virtually walking age. I know from the outside that it looks like big blokes colliding with each other but the technical side is far more complex than it looks. I did both sports until I was 16 (albeit my footy was with the old Inverness caley rather than a full time club) and the skills work dominated far more in my rugby training than football. I do think more on topic tho we have issues with fitness levels in Scottish football....mind hearts playing spurs few seasons back and whilst the skill level gap was big, the gaps in pace and fitness were frightening. Against Germany fletcher tried to sprint to press their cbs a few times and they literally strolled away from him. We still have a romantic notion of a jinky winger scooshing past defenders having drunk 14pts the night before and shagged page 3 lass at half time.....we need a huge turnaroundin our culture of development.

Do we have any figures for the ratio of kids who play til their teens then give up?? I know their will b cultural issues like finding girls/booze etc....but how many give up cos the last youth coach was a dick more interested in the u11 league trophy than letting kids have game time, kids knowing that if they haven't been signed by 13 they're never gonna play at senior level, being poached by other sports like cycling rugby etc?

based on what?

Romania < Germany

Hungary < Poland

Finland < Ireland

Faroe Island < Georgia

Greece are in turmoil and i would expect us to take more points from the teams above than the group we have.

Put it this way would Northern Ireland come top of our group?

Tbf England just tried to parachute a player in to their side who was a great athlete from a vaguely similar sport and he was totallyshown up....virtually no decent players in rugby will have started after the age of ten.

I went to high school with future scotland internationals in both football and rugby. The footballer wasn't even considered the best player in our year whereas the rugby player was streets better than anyone else. We'd all been kicking a football from when we could walk so there were plenty decent footballers about but he was the only guy playing rugby from a young age and it showed.

Archived