Airdrieonians vs Brechin

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was dire! Couldn't find a pass, no movement in the middle of the park, a centre forward playing right wing, a numpty playing centre forward, another centre forward on the bench. Thought Smith might have showed up more at this level but he's looking like a damp squib. Watt had his worst game this season, yes worse than Stranrear, and big Johnstone had Crighton sussed in the air. Don't think we deserved much out of the game but then again neither did Brechin. I'm sure Bollan is just playing Morgan to spite the fans - he's a stubborn ****. Thought Stewart offered more than Smith when he came on.

How bad is Scott Smith he's had no impact in any game he's played this season, how can that merit a shirt every week, or is it because if he doesn't play we pay his wages and if he does play United pay his wages, good deal Bollan

I understand that was the deal with Fraser last season so would make sense given that it's the same parent club. Might be shy Morgan plays every week too and Hunter is played out of position. Three wingers at the club can't get a look in ....McAleer, Morton and Cadden. We are crying out for width yet Hunter is played there out of position. It must be the deal that he has to start.

Thought we looked solid at the back, partly because Brechin didn't offer much, but regardless we are losing 1 goal a game on average which in this league is good going. We offered nothing going forward though, Cox is ideally suited to that wide role that Hunter was playing today as he's comfortable playing up front or out wide and has a bit of pace, but Hunter looked uncomfortable out there. If we're going to play that formation we need at least one natural wide player, neither Watt or Hunter are that.

The majority of our games will be like this (and already have been), one goal deciding it and whoever scores first probably winning.

Very little between the teams in a game devoid of much skill today. Only a deflected goal gave Airdrie the points, but it could just as easily been a win for us. Thought a draw would have been a fair reflection of a poor game. I think Brechin have shown enough in their last few games to get out of their current position, however we must win games like next week's at home to Albion Rovers. We lack some sharpness in front of goal. All is not yet lost.

Mon the Hedge!

How can people be complaining about this game? It was a classic, an epic, a thundering maelstrom of drama and skill, a veritable feast of football. If Peter Jackson, Akira Kurosawa and Sergei Eisenstein were to collaborate and direct a football match, this is the match they would have produced. When late capitalism finally collapses under the weight of its own contradictions, and civilisation as we know it ceases to be, people will crawl from their hovels to gather round the fire while the village elders tell unto the children the tale of this match, and how Liam Watt, the Mighty Hammer Of Justice did smite the Glebely Ones...

... sorry, for the sake of my own sanity I had to tune out during this match and imagine a better one.

Actually, I thought we passed quite well in periods, especially early on in the first half, and managed to create a decent spell of pressure in the second (the corners around about McBride's excellent shot and Crighton's header over the bar). We struggled to create much in the way of good chances, and the lack of David Cox was notable. Up front, Morgan offered little - he wasn't as poor as he has been, but his inability to retain the ball or time a run is evident. He's being fitted into the Lister role, but he hasn't got Lister's skill, strength or positional sensing. Hunter was wasted out wide, and Sumsky drifted in and out the match - clever now and then, but not very influential.

But on the other hand, Parry had a good game, and dealt with what came his way competently enough. I suppose everyone is trying long shots against him after his errors earlier in the season, but he looked comfortable dealing with them, and handled the crosses without any real fuss. Seems to have worked on his kicking, too. The only time he didn't seem in control was that corner in the first half that hit the post, but he kept his second clean sheet of the season and can be pleased with his performance today. Likewise the defence, who seemed mostly pretty solid, and kept Brechin to mostly shooting from range. I wasn't too happy when I saw I that Fitzpatrick was playing at left back, but he did well enough there, I thought, with no major errors. How he would have dealt with a better attack than Brechin had on offer is another matter, but that'll have to wait for another time. Scott Stewart looked good when he came on, too.

Bollan did seem unambitious, and at home against a poor Brechin side you'd have thought we could have made things more comfortable than just 1-0... but three points is what we wanted, and three points is what we got. It wasn't pretty, but you need to be able to grind out wins over the course of the season, and I'd rather this than play well and lose as we did against Ayr a few weeks ago. Wins build confidence, and confidence will bring better football.

Archived