Airdrieonians vs Brechin

Smith is a good player. Recent weeks he did a good job patrolling in front of the back 4 like he should be, now he's been squeezed forward to accomodate his grampa McBride. He's a defensive mid, Fraser was an attacking mid. You cant compare them as like for like, Utd could have a good centre midfield for years with those 2.

We have Sumsky and Morgan stinking the team out, and that horrible Grinch of a manager now picking on Prunty, we have a lot more to worry about than Smith.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smith is a good player. Recent weeks he did a good job patrolling in front of the back 4 like he should be, now he's been squeezed forward to accomodate his grampa McBride. He's a defensive mid, Fraser was an attacking mid. You cant compare them as like for like, Utd could have a good centre midfield for years with those 2.

We have Sumsky and Morgan stinking the team out, and that horrible Grinch of a manager now picking on Prunty, we have a lot more to worry about than Smith.

Well Smith was next to useless yesterday, offered very little, Stewart seemed far more effective! McBride was ok in the first half but to much of the game just passes him by and he becomes a passenger

No, you're wrong on both counts. Smith isnt shite, McBride isnt a passenger, he organises the side well and breaks things up.

Stewart didn't "seem" to be more effective, he was.... because he added some forward motion. We've had 2 sitting midfielders together in there for past month and sitting way to deep.

Actually, I thought we passed quite well in periods, especially early on in the first half, and managed to create a decent spell of pressure in the second (the corners around about McBride's excellent shot and Crighton's header over the bar). We struggled to create much in the way of good chances, and the lack of David Cox was notable. Up front, Morgan offered little - he wasn't as poor as he has been, but his inability to retain the ball or time a run is evident. He's being fitted into the Lister role, but he hasn't got Lister's skill, strength or positional sensing. Hunter was wasted out wide, and Sumsky drifted in and out the match - clever now and then, but not very influential.

But on the other hand, Parry had a good game, and dealt with what came his way competently enough. I suppose everyone is trying long shots against him after his errors earlier in the season, but he looked comfortable dealing with them, and handled the crosses without any real fuss. Seems to have worked on his kicking, too. The only time he didn't seem in control was that corner in the first half that hit the post, but he kept his second clean sheet of the season and can be pleased with his performance today. Likewise the defence, who seemed mostly pretty solid, and kept Brechin to mostly shooting from range. I wasn't too happy when I saw I that Fitzpatrick was playing at left back, but he did well enough there, I thought, with no major errors. How he would have dealt with a better attack than Brechin had on offer is another matter, but that'll have to wait for another time. Scott Stewart looked good when he came on, too.

Bollan did seem unambitious, and at home against a poor Brechin side you'd have though we could have made things more comfortable than just 1-0... but three points is what we wanted, and three points is what we got. It wasn't pretty, but you need to be able to grind out wins over the course of the season, and I'd rather this than play well and lose as we did against Ayr a few weeks ago. Wins build confidence, and confidence will bring better football.

We can blame that on Morgan too as it appeared to me that he was the man on the front post but for whatever reason stepped away from it and allowed the ball to go past him!

And I agree with the comment re the passing the ball around well, it just seemed that all the decent passing was before we got to that final third or in some cases great passing until the final ball which was woeful.

Why the clamour for Prunty? Any time he's been brought on he's missed sitters (Stranraer and Stenhousemuir) and has looked way off the pace.

Always wondered this myself, but it's overlooked because it's Bryan Prunty... For most he can do no wrong.

Why the clamour for Prunty? Any time he's been brought on he's missed sitters (Stranraer and Stenhousemuir) and has looked way off the pace.

theres no clamour for prunty, people just looking for different options other than what's playing before him. Is Taylor Morgan the answer then instead of writing nonsense about a guy that's on the bench every week. U tell us how many subs in this league are up to the pace if they hardly get on the park.

Hunter should be played up front with some one along side him and Nicky Cadden on the wing .

Nicky Cadden can hit a good freekicks as well scored plenty for the under 20's.

Bollan again seems happy for draws and has no clue how to set that team up !!

I've criticised him in the past for being happy with draws, but given we are reasonably solid at the back I'm not sure it's the worst tactic initially setting up 'not to lose' as in this league you will always get a chance to score or get a flukey goal like yesterday. In an attacking sense in the last 2 games we've been rubbish, yet if Watt had scored his penalty I'm sure we would have beaten Stranraer 1-0, and we won 1-0 yesterday.

We've also only drawn 1 game this season and that was a geniunely good point away at Dunfermline, as opposed to last season when we'd draw away to someone like Brechin and be told that was a good point. So I don't think you can criticise him for that this season.

He does need to work out what we're doing going forward though, I'm not sure he has any idea yet who to play and what formation to play them in, 10 games into the season.

thick or what? Concentrate on the PLAYERS THAT R ON THE PARK not the subs

They are doing a job, we are in a decent position albeit not playing well but I'd rather we are winning and then start to play more attractive football. Winning always comes first.

I've criticised him in the past for being happy with draws, but given we are reasonably solid at the back I'm not sure it's the worst tactic initially setting up 'not to lose' as in this league you will always get a chance to score or get a flukey goal like yesterday. In an attacking sense in the last 2 games we've been rubbish, yet if Watt had scored his penalty I'm sure we would have beaten Stranraer 1-0, and we won 1-0 yesterday.

We've also only drawn 1 game this season and that was a geniunely good point away at Dunfermline, as opposed to last season when we'd draw away to someone like Brechin and be told that was a good point. So I don't think you can criticise him for that this season.

He does need to work out what we're doing going forward though, I'm not sure he has any idea yet who to play and what formation to play them in, 10 games into the season.

the dunfermilne game we where where ahead and he left it late to make changes even when a player is signaling to the bench that he needs off but he left him on for nearly 20mins after that .when a change would have gave us a lift and could have held on to a win.

Yesterday at home to a team bottom he showed no real desire to win the game. Playing a forward on the wing when there his able wingers on the bench and a donkey up front. Smith is dire going forward but he sticks by him when there is better players in our team that could make more impact than he has done.

Yes we have only had one draw this year but a few results have went our way with sheer luck. What happins when our luck runs out and teams score againt us and there's no comeback for us as the teams set up wrong and has no attacking presence

It's all very well saying that he has done a no bad job this year but we could be a lot better off than we are at the moment and that is down to him and no one else.

Yesterday we had one shot in the first half witch in my view is shocking and is not the first time this has happend think it was like 3/4shot againts stranraer in the full game. teams will hammer us unless this changes as we won't be lucky all season

Teams wont hammer us, no team this season has looked like hammering us, you're being a bit hysterical there.

We've edged out a few teams by the odd goal, but equally the Forfar, Stenhousemuir, Ayr and Stranraer games were all games where we lost by the odd goal despite not deserving to. Like I said up the thread, almost every game is going to be decided by the odd goal, I don't think we've been lucky so far, our results are a fair reflection of how we've played I'd say.

Like I've said, Bollan doesn't know what to do going forward yet, but in the meantime he's made sure we are pretty solid at the back and aren't chucking in goals like we have done at the start of the last 2 seasons (which Ayr game aside we've managed to do). The fact we are 3rd in the league, despite not playing particularly well in an attacking sense, just shows how important that part of the game is. Making sure that you are hard to score against doesn't mean you are playing for a draw, it just means you appreciate that you aren't going to win games gifting goals to the opposition.

4games 12 points we can not afford to let that many points slip away and apart from the ayr game is has bein down to not enough going forward on the park

Yes I will give him credit on the defensive side of the team this year but he need to sort out the attacking and from what we have seen without cox we will stuggle to get forward and score goals .

In my view the likes of Cadden and Richford should be in the team and getting on the park even if it's as a sub to change things up a little can it be any worse than the attacking displays this year

Bearing in mind that we hadn't won in three games prior to the Brechin one, I think holding the one-goal load was probably the right approach. And - hey - it worked, didn't it? It's nonsense to say that teams will hammer us if we play as we did yesterday. We won yesterday. And, as DAF says, nobody has hammered us this season, not in the league at any rate.

Sorry the hammer us was a bit much as a have said he has the defensive side of it sort at the moment. but if its one/two goal games we need a bit more going forward and we would be a lot better off.

I have not bein bollans biggest fan as too many games we have only showed up for one half and we have seen some very ineffective attacking displays over the years.

But this year we are at the right end of the table and on course for a good year .i just hope he sorts out the Attacking side a bit more and we take our turn of the year good form that we normally have as it could be tasty if we are still within reach ????

Archived