The Price Of Football 2015

Wouldnt surprise me tbh, self promotion is something we've only recently discovered and we're pretty rusty with it

The questions were absolutely specific. Cheapest ticket for a single adult buyer not in tandem with other promotions like a family ticket. Its all to simplify comparability. Other than the chance to give one promo statement at the end it wasnt flexible.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say this is strictly true when you consider everything, our match-day tickets aren't the cheapest but we have by far the cheapest season tickets of the league. We have programmes below average, pies below average, tops below average. I'd say everything considered we'd be a cheaper day than queens

Yeah the first bit of that is fair comment. I already conceded we dont offer an especially good bargain on season tickets. Alloa do and therefore in terms of paying for the season up front you are cheaper. In terms of pay as you go we are cheaper though. Not overly relevant how much pies, tea and programmes cost and certainly not replica kit. I was talking about entry to the game, nothing else.

The questions were absolutely specific. Cheapest ticket for a single adult buyer not in tandem with other promotions like a family ticket. Its all to simplify comparability. Other than the chance to give one promo statement at the end it wasnt flexible.

Its not really fair then is it, and holds no credence. A family of four (two adults, two children), can get into McDiarmid for £30. The same family going to most Premiership stadiums would pay around £68. Yet because of the nature of the questions we're being classed as one of the dearest. I can see why some teams are refusing to get involved in it.

Its not really fair then is it, and holds no credence. A family of four (two adults, two children), can get into McDiarmid for £30. The same family going to most Premiership stadiums would pay around £68. Yet because of the nature of the questions we're being classed as one of the dearest. I can see why some teams are refusing to get involved in it.

You can get in for free if there's a funeral on.

I dont see why that makes it unfair. I would imagine plenty of clubs could point to similar. Its of no consequence to the unmarried twenty something how cheaply he could get the wife and kids he doesnt have in is it?

Swansea refused to take part. Did anyone else?

Yeah the first bit of that is fair comment. I already conceded we dont offer an especially good bargain on season tickets. Alloa do and therefore in terms of paying for the season up front you are cheaper. In terms of pay as you go we are cheaper though. Not overly relevant how much pies, tea and programmes cost and certainly not replica kit. I was talking about entry to the game, nothing else.

You also have to factor in that Dumfries is a c**t to get to so you're the most expensive for any away fan from the east coast/central scotland.

Clubs are caught between a rock and a hard place. It would be great if entry prices were capped at £18 for the top flight, £15 for the championship and less for leagues 1 and 2. It would be great if clubs could invest in the next generation of fans by offering cheap kids and family tickets. Unfortunately using Germany as an example is bunkum - they have a great tv deal that they use to subsidise ticket costs and we don't.

I'd love to see packed grounds up and down the country every Saturday. We're in danger of raising a generation of kids who understand football only as a television show and not as a live event that you go to in person to experience. It's been heading that way since the 90 - I can't remember many from my school days who attended games as regularly as I did.

Cost is obviously a factor. The biggest problem for me though is how little we value our game. We tell the world that Scottish football is shite. Television tells the world that their product is wonderful. Is it any wonder that people have fallen out of love with our game? You could drop prices to a fiver across the country and crowds would still be pish because we've been complicit in helping tv tell the world that a drab 0-0 between Sunderland and Villa is better than spending your Saturday afternoon at your local football ground.

Price is a problem but it's not the only problem and it's self fulfilling - the longer we sell our game short then the higher fan costs will rise to make up the shortfall from empty seats.

You also have to factor in that Dumfries is a c**t to get to so you're the most expensive for any away fan from the east coast/central scotland.

Why do you have to factor that in? This isn't a survey of costs for away fans to travel to away games, it's a survey of the cost of the football, not the incidental costs of someone not on the doorstep travelling to the game.

Completely irrelevant.

My points were aimed more at the home fans (ie season tickets) but Dumfries isn't all that dearer than alot of other away days in my experience.

Why do you have to factor that in? This isn't a survey of costs for away fans to travel to away games, it's a survey of the cost of the football, not the incidental costs of someone not on the doorstep travelling to the game.

Completely irrelevant.

And spectacularly ignorant too.

Archived