Queens v Livingston

Agreed. Capable players who couldn't care less are worse than rotten ones who give their all.

Have to say I enjoy Fowler's playground tactic of playing all the forwards when we're a couple of goals behind. He'd probably have brought Jimmy Robertson on as well if he had found him.

That really concerns me, more than a lot of the things being thrown at Fowler. Last season he seemed so in control tactically. Throwing on multiple strikers when we have a non-existent midfield and a defence that are chucking them in is the actions of a desperate man running out of ideas.

We have had great success going down the route of appointing young managers but you have to wonder if this group need a more old school approach to buck up their ideas. The ability is there but the application is sadly lacking.

It would be a brave move from the board, and a potentially disastrous one if it went pear shaped.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem for Queens is there are 7 poor teams in this league and from what I've seen Livi are better than at least 5 of them.

You're right, there is very little between much of the league - although I would say 6 teams. Im not sure who of Raith or Falkirk you are including. Im not sure how that is bad for Queens though

Likewise with a young management team. You have to wonder whether Skelton was the correct choice as assistant.

However for me it isn't the young players that are letting us down. Higgins was a disaster yesterday and has been ropey all season. Conroy is the invisible man, if you take out set-pieces I probably had as many touches of the ball as he did yesterday. Millar can't be blamed for yesterday but he too has been awful all season and Dowie hasn't been his usual reliable self. Lyle seems to want to try to lead by example, and has scored some vital goals, but even he can't carry the team at 34 years old or whatever he is.

We still look like a team of strangers who don't look very willing to fight for each other. I can't remember what the score was at the time but Harris missed a reasonably good chance in the second half where he chickened out of a one-on-one with the Livi goalkeeper. He then proceeded to turn around and stroll back into position without a care in the world. If that had been Carmichael or Reilly they would have been swinging arms and legs in frustration and having a word with themselves.

I still genuinely believe we have a group of very capable players for this level. That in itself is part of the problem, they are a group of individuals, not a team which I suppose was always going to be the challenge when replacing so many of them.

Its a pretty big jump to take one incident where a player doesnt react as you want him to and extend that to a team that doesnt want to fight for each other

That really concerns me, more than a lot of the things being thrown at Fowler. Last season he seemed so in control tactically. Throwing on multiple strikers when we have a non-existent midfield and a defence that are chucking them in is the actions of a desperate man running out of ideas.

We have had great success going down the route of appointing young managers but you have to wonder if this group need a more old school approach to buck up their ideas. The ability is there but the application is sadly lacking.

It would be a brave move from the board, and a potentially disastrous one if it went pear shaped.

The problem yesterday was that we didnt have anyone else fit, other than strikers. Fowler did try and change the midfield by moving Conroy inside but it didnt help.

The most worrying thing for me is that we've stopped playing to our strengths. Fowler has brought in players who are good on the ball and earlier in the season we were passing the ball well. Yesterday we constantly lumped high balls forward and we just dont have the players to do that. Livy arent a great team but they played to their strengths yesterday. What made it worse is that their strengths are also our weakness. We've struggled all season against big, physical teams, particularly forwards. Houston did us a favour by leaving Millar on the bench for the 0-0 draw but Burchill had clearly done his homework and started with both White and Sheerin

It was one example.

How about the distinct lack of interest every single time we have a throw in. No one wants to stand up and be counted and take the initiative or lead by example.

Of course I could be completely wrong (as well as the numerous others who have raised the same point), and that was the team playing with maximum heart and enthusiasm. If that's the case then we really are fucked.

It was one example.

How about the distinct lack of interest every single time we have a throw in. No one wants to stand up and be counted and take the initiative or lead by example.

Of course I could be completely wrong (as well as the numerous others who have raised the same point), and that was the team playing with maximum heart and enthusiasm. If that's the case then we really are fucked.

I would have said that was a lack of confidence more than anything else. Im not saying yesterday was "maximum heart and enthusiasm" but you were implying that this was a consistent problem. I cant say Ive seen that

Call me naive but I still think footballers always try their best out of professional pride. Perhaps there is something mentally holding them back that little bit. Livingston had the entire media and the Orcs against them this week and nothing to lose, we play scared because there is a lack of faith that we can outplay teams or just complacency.

I suspect that we are going to turn into a mini killie team and scrap enough point every year despite being rubbish.

You're right, there is very little between much of the league - although I would say 6 teams. Im not sure who of Raith or Falkirk you are including. Im not sure how that is bad for Queens though

I know Raith have amassed a lot of points but I don't think they'll keep it up. Maybe they've improved a lot since we played them though, will soon see next week.

It's only bad in the sense that QoS are one of the poor teams and could easily be in a scrap with Livi, St Mirren, Morton & Dumbarton for the bottom play off spot.

Call me naive but I still think footballers always try their best out of professional pride. Perhaps there is something mentally holding them back that little bit. Livingston had the entire media and the Orcs against them this week and nothing to lose, we play scared because there is a lack of faith that we can outplay teams or just complacency.

I suspect that we are going to turn into a mini killie team and scrap enough point every year despite being rubbish.

This. I think it would take a lot more than Ive seen this season to begin to accuse the players of not trying. I think there are confidence issues and yesterday isnt the first time we've been out-fought, which is worrying but I dont think theres a lack of effort. Interesting to hear Fowler and Higgins talk about working more for each other, which is along the lines of something Cammy said. Very honest and interesting interviews.

I know Raith have amassed a lot of points but I don't think they'll keep it up. Maybe they've improved a lot since we played them though, will soon see next week.

It's only bad in the sense that QoS are one of the poor teams and could easily be in a scrap with Livi, St Mirren, Morton & Dumbarton for the bottom play off spot.

I havent seen Raith in the flesh yet, so you may well be right.

I dont think theres any doubt that we're in a scrap with those teams. I still think we've got enough to not get drawn too close to the bottom though

To my mind we are very weak and I mean that in the terms of not being strong in the tackle and being easily brushed off the ball, waiting for ball to come to the players or in defence allowing for the ball to bounce before going into a header. I also wonder how mentally strong we are. I don't think they are a team of winners and we need a McKenna, MacFarlane in midfield to jeer the players up.

How much was the sun a factor yesterday. I know tradition always has us shooting to Terregles end first half but with the low sun yesterday may have been worth changing things around. I am sure Thomson struggled with the sun twice in first half and very surprised he wasn't wearing a cap. In second half I am sure defenders and keeper were struggling with the sun with crosses from our left next the Main stand. Didn't seem to affect Livingston players to the same affect

From our perspective that is four good goals we've scored, Jordin White has had a hand in nearly every goal, I'll say again the nonsense that's shouted at him from sections of our support is total rubbish, the 2nd goal is better than I remembered it, and as I said Buchanan's 1st is goal of the game.

Buchanan certainly has that kind of goal in his locker, scored one similar away to St Mirren and just went past the post in our home game against them from the same angle.

Amazing the amount of headers White won but our fans keep saying he can't jump or win headers.

If Sheerin starts sticking his chances away too then we'd score some amount of goals, hopefully he'll relax a bit and maybe they'll come.

Archived