Queen's Park v Clyde (Match Preview Thread)

Okay - now that we're (hopefully) done with all the usual posturing, what do we actually think will happen on Saturday as far as the actual game is concerned? It will go one of two ways as far as I’m concerned:

1. Queen’s score twice during the first half hour, Clyde fans get on the players and coaching staff’s backs, Clyde get a player sent off and lose 4-0...................or
  2. Boosted by a large travelling support which they hadn’t been expecting, Clyde’s players fight for every ball and frustrate Queen’s at every turn. Scoreless at the interval, Queen’s fans become frustrated in the second half, and the pressure transfers to the pitch. Desperate to get the goal their pressure deserves, Queen’s leave themselves open to a counter-attack and the visitors score with their only real chance of the game.

No way will it finish a draw (which it probably will do now that I’ve predicted it won’t!)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually there's been two other threads for this guys (if you want to be picky about it) but neither remotely resemble MATCH PREVIEWS which i'd hoped (forlornly it seems) that this might become.

At least Clyde 123 tried before others resorted to type.

C'mon Macca & Scott, you can do it.........I just know deep down somewhere, intelligent life is lurking................post something about the game for a change and prove me right for once in my life??????????

Saw this interesting tweet earlier from the Beeb. Should make this encounter even tastier.

https://twitter.com/BBCSportsound/status/498133536122359808

apologies tbw but (and I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you) P&B is about as far as my social footprint goes (I've never been near Twitter, Facebook et al)..........for media-challenged chaps like me, could you enlighten me as to what your trying to highlight as all I get when I click on the link is reference to your Daly victory and mention of "Jim Goodwin gets sent off. In other news, the sun rose this morning" - perhaps I'm missing the point - I usually do

If Ferguson gets a reaction out if the players I see us making maybe to half time at 0-0 then loosing a goal caught on the counter attack with the slowest back 4 in the league on a very wide pitch and loosing 1 or 2-0.

Or somehow we manage to sneak a 1-0 in which case it's proof miracles can happen

Or somehow we manage to sneak a 1-0 in which case it's proof miracles can happen

hardly in the "miracle" category or the bookies would be offering odds for an away win that are a lot more generous than at present - I've also seen you do it before in the August 2010 game which immediately preceded our longest ever consecutive run of wins against you, so that game certainly wasn't a guide for form that season, nor do I take it for granted that this one will be either if Duggan doesn't make it as our home form so far this season has been "inconsistent" at best

Clyde to come out all guns blazing in the first 15 minutes, coming close to scoring on a number of occasions without actually putting ball in the net.

Queens Park will then take advantage of our lack of pace in defence & will come away with a comfortable 2-0 victory.

Clyde to resort to long aimless balls for last 20 minutes.

Clyde to come out all guns blazing in the first 15 minutes, coming close to scoring on a number of occasions without actually putting ball in the net.

Queens Park will then take advantage of our lack of pace in defence & will come away with a comfortable 2-0 victory.

Sadly thay is accurate.

actually, that pretty much sounds like a rewind of the last game at Broadwood where we should have been two down by quarter past three - is your repetition reflecting a lack of imagination on your part, or more that nothing's changed since then (remembering that your are only 1 point behind us!)?

actually, that pretty much sounds like a rewind of the last game at Broadwood where we should have been two down by quarter past three - is your repetition reflecting a lack of imagination on your part, or more that nothing's changed since then (remembering that your are only 1 point behind us!)?

We should've been two up after 5 past! There has definitely been a change - instead of playing well for the opening 20 minutes or so we've been rancid for the full 90 and resorting to aimless hoofs from the first whistle. I wasn't there on Saturday but I believe a half arsed shot from Scott Ferguson was our first shot in target in two games.

I'm going into this one expecting the worst - QP always seem to thump us at Hampden, and we appear to have the slowest team in the league which should be easily exploited on such a large pitch. The last time I went into a game at Hampden with this level of apathy was in Duffy's first season and we had a centre midfield pairing of Pat Scullion and Charlie Miller.

That Scullion Miller partnership is reminiscent of those Soccer Aid games where Clarence Seedorf would be partnered with some chump like James McAvoy. Seedorf would skin everyone on the opposite team then tee up McAvoy who would miss an open goal. Scullion is the Seedorf in this scenario btw.

As for Saturday I would not be surprised if Calamity Quinn hoofed the ball into his own net and we're stuck with Barry for another week.

Four games unbeaten away to this shower and the two draws were completely undeserved last minute equalisers.

I think we all know what will happen; Queen's Park designed to play on a big pitch, plenty of width and movement. Well coached to create overloads in different areas. Clyde are built to keep games tight and to some extent it's worked; the only game we've been out of come the last 10 minutes was the previous tie with the Spiders. However that's been at the cost of movement between the lines and the aforementioned overloads which QP are good at. If we managed to avoid the potentially demoralising occurrence of conceding in the first part of the match then we'll hopefully start to creep into it.

On an earlier point; a slow back line is not in itself a problem on any size of pitch. Having an immobile midfield in front of them causes it to become a problem though. The mobile players in our squad are Durie, Marsh, Brisbane, Ferguson and Campbell and I'd expect all of them to start. Scott McLaughlin starting would be an absolute joke.

Archived