Queen's Park v Clyde (Match Preview Thread)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just realised I posted this in the wrong thread, so put it here too:

Scott McLaughlin :lol: Complete and utter jobber. Get Mitchell in there from now on. Second half was shite and thankfully Brisbane was hooked prior to us being split open down the right for the 500th time.

Bit lucky to get a draw in the end. We just completely fall apart when it comes to attacking with any incisiveness or cohesion.

No idea how we failed to win that. We were awful in the first half, without being much worse than Clyde. Second half we should have won it 3 or 4-1. Wonderful ball from Burns and a great header from Carter from the goal. Felt confident that we could go on and win it after that, although it was accompanied by the natural Queen's Park dread. Clyde have absolutely nothing about them in terms of spirit or ability, so it's frustrating to have dropped two points having dominated the second half. One week, we're actually going to take our chances and give someone a melting at Hampden.

Draw just about fair I reckon and even then neither side really deserved a point out of that garbage. QP had a decent spell either side of the goal and the number 5 bottled an easy chance but after the double substitution they dropped out of it again and the last chunk of the match was back to the complete tedium of the first half.

We clearly set out looking not to lose the game and QP moved the ball far too slowly to cause us problems until Brisbane fell away and started gifting Burns acres into which to run.The QP goal was well worked but he was caught square ball watching.

Big test now is whether he can organise us for the next two home games. They won't result in any points if we start with McLaughlin and Brisbane out wide.

Marsh, a few awful touches aside, our best player ahead of Bolo.

Wouldn't surprise me if these two teams end up 5th and 6th.

We really should be looking at something like:

Gibson; Durie, Bolo, Smith, Linton; McGovern, Marsh, Mitchell; Higgins; Ferguson, Gormley

In a 4-3-1-2 type set up, with the width coming from the full backs. McLaughlin is just horrendous, and while Marko is a complete and utter legend, Bolo and Smith are the best partnership IMO.

We need a big performance and a result next week, but it'll be a tall order.

No idea how we failed to win that. We were awful in the first half, without being much worse than Clyde. Second half we should have won it 3 or 4-1. Wonderful ball from Burns and a great header from Carter from the goal. Felt confident that we could go on and win it after that, although it was accompanied by the natural Queen's Park dread. Clyde have absolutely nothing about them in terms of spirit or ability, so it's frustrating to have dropped two points having dominated the second half. One week, we're actually going to take our chances and give someone a melting at Hampden.

Plenty times this season we have dominated yet failed to win. Today I didn't think we looked like title contenders. Yes we did start to create chances in the second half and scored a well worked goal, but didn't kick a ball after the double substitution.

The first half we were pretty poor. Lots of mistakes and we resorted to aimless hoofs to nobody (partly Clyde played us well?).

One or two players are borderline liabilities and teams seem to need only one opportunity in a game against us.

A bit harsh I know, and it was a crap game, but this team can do a lot better with a bit of dig and sharpness.

Mon the posh wankers!

We really should be looking at something like:Gibson; Durie, Bolo, Smith, Linton; McGovern, Marsh, Mitchell; Higgins; Ferguson, GormleyIn a 4-3-1-2 type set up, with the width coming from the full backs. McLaughlin is just horrendous, and while Marko is a complete and utter legend, Bolo and Smith are the best partnership IMO.We need a big performance and a result next week, but it'll be a tall order.

Would you, aye??? None of this suggests a backward step or three??? Our fans are a bigger joke than the club. At least supporters with meaning and no little intellect would look beyond the incompetent dickwipes festooning every department of the club.

I think it would be a bit harsh to say we had a shite first half - we did look a bit dodgy at the back, but we certainly looked dangerous going forward, especially down the middle at times.

Felt we deserved the goal, Queens were utter shite in the first half, one of the poorest performances I've seen all season.

Second half and QP did come out firing, was only a matter of time before they got a decent ball in from the left wing. Brisbane had an absolute nightmare at right back, very glad he got taken off when he did, otherwise we would have been onto a hiding.

Think a draw was probably the fairest result, although I could understand if Queens fans are a bit disappointed, given how shite we are.

Massive gamble by Barry making all three subs in one go just before the hour mark, but credit where it's due, I would say it paid off.

wasn't there so can't comment on performance but that's no wins in six games and only three goals scored so at the moment it would appear no matter the combination of players the manger puts out is in capable of wining a game

ps we have managed to turn our best prospect in years Scott Ferguson from a game winner into a bench warmer :(

The first half we at least showed some fight and desire to win the ball. Second half was a return to the performances of the last few games.

Was a good shot for Higgins goal was right in the corner so that the keeper couldn't get near it. Was decent play in midfield from Brisbane in the run up to the goal. We also has the likes of mcgovern and Gormley knicking into win the ball of QP which we've not seen in recent games.

Second half we resorted to type and QP exploited the massive gaps down both wings. Ferguson done the right thing in hooking Brisbane as QP were having a lot of joy down our right hand side. Unfortunately they had already equalised by the time the subs took place. QP had a couple of great chances to win the game. I have seen QP play a lot better previously and there was spells were they put together plenty of passes without going anywhere. The big difference is they have at least 3 or 4 players that are comfortable running with the ball and can beat a man.

For Clyde we resorted lumping the ball upfield during the second half. We did have a spell at the end of the game were we made some progress in breaking down the QP defence and Campbell should have done better when he was played through on goal but hit a tame effort straight at the keeper.

I think we really need to ditch the 3-5-2 it simply isn't working. The back 3 are not capable of passing the ball out and the midfield with mcgovern and mclaughlin is completely static. Linton should not have been dropped either and hopefully Durie will be fit enough to start soon. Campbell and ferguson should play left and right mid not that either are playing that well but we need some mobile players in those positions.

Would you, aye??? None of this suggests a backward step or three??? Our fans are a bigger joke than the club. At least supporters with meaning and no little intellect would look beyond the incompetent dickwipes festooning every department of the club.

I don't really see how offering thoughts on what the best line-up of our current squad of players is constitutes "a backward step or three", but do feel free to ruin another thread with pointless shots at the board. Not that I particularly agree with the board, the CIC or how they function, but bitching about them on every thread going will do absolutely nothing to solve the problems which exist off the park (and by extension, those on it). So for that reason, I think it's probably best to stick to talking about the football - particularly on match threads.

Were you even at the game caller...no, then next caller please!............t_b_w may (in your eyes) be talking pish, but he earned that right by being there and I was surprised both by the number of attending away fans, and the generous support they gave their side at the start when it would have been easier to decry them.

As for the game itself, two well taken opportunist striker's goals, with defensive mistakes in the build-ups. QP created the more clear-cut opportunities, but Ferguson's substitutions wrestled the game back in Clyde's favour but fortunately for us they were unable to create much with all the posession they had. Overall Queen's shaded it, but if you don't take your chances you don't deseve to win games, so a draw was probably about right in the end, and on that performance neither team will be near the play-off places.

Fortunately we know that Queen's can and will play a lot better, but Clyde ?????????

Footnote - though that Duggan's demeanour suggested that he was pissed off at being a late substitute (72 mins), and unless I'm mistaken he didn't touch the ball once until injury time, partly because Clyde dominated that period, but also because he only looked interested if the ball was going right to him. Can't fault Carter's effort and clinical finish, but Duggan needs to put a shift in regardless of whether he's first choice or not and wouldn't be an automatic starter next time for me on that showing. Also thought that Woods merited MOM as much as Berry, with both being head and shoulders above the rest.

I think we really need to ditch the 3-5-2 it simply isn't working. The back 3 are not capable of passing the ball out and the midfield with mcgovern and mclaughlin is completely static. Linton should not have been dropped either and hopefully Durie will be fit enough to start soon. Campbell and ferguson should play left and right mid not that either are playing that well but we need some mobile players in those positions.

Surprised you say that; I thought we were playing a fairly obvious back four today.

Archived