Queen's Park v Clyde (Match Preview Thread)

actually, on reflection, I think I was over-analysing it.............I would have thought that at our level, analysis of second balls wouldn't be nearly as much of a priority as trying to win primary posession.............any coach whose focus was on winning second balls can't have much faith in his team's ability, and I suspect that you've already spent more time on this than Gus and Bazza put together - still, thanks for your insight

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha what a spanner, never once have I said that was the primary focus, you've pulled that one from thin air! Winning second balls is a major part of retaining and gaining possession though. All I said was that you hadn't considered the second ball from Clyde possession, rendering your comment invalid. Thanks for that shambolic attempt at deflection though, it did give me a good chuckle.

and if you care to actually read my post never once have I said that you said that it was the primary focus - now deflections are an entirely different part of the game altogether.....perhaps you have some analysis of how many there were for each side on Saturday, so that we can continue to benefit from your superior knowledge and understanding of this much debated match?

On Scott McLaughlin, you need to ask yourself what his role is in the team before assessing what he has contributed. In previous weeks he has been asked to provide the link between McGovern and Higgins; both of whom are also fairly pedestrian over 5 yards. He is exceptionally fit but simply has been arriving in the attacking third too late to impact the game in a positive fashion, and is too slow over short distances to close down effectively. He failed in that job and shouldn't have been matched up with those other two players.

On Saturday, his role as the left sided midfielder was clearly to offer protection to Smith (moved to left-back due to Linton's illness) and to stop Queen's Park's right back from overlapping when the winger moved inside. That is a job that is more reliant on discipline and longer range stamina and I thought he did that job very well. That said, there's no need for him to reprise that role next Saturday and indeed he did change his game when Linton was brought on, moving more centrally when Clyde had possession and leaving a channel for Linton to overlap into. Overall, I don't think he can be criticised too much based on the QP game; you saw the effect of Brisbane tiring in the second half after all.

On McGovern, I think he's a good player. You can tell he's played at a higher level as he reads the game well. It's important to remember that passing is a function of multiple attributes and events, involving more than just the player with the ball. He always gets himself into the position to make a pass (half-turn, head-up, ball out from under feet from a good first touch) but the other players in the team are not keeping up their side of the bargain. There's a reason why he was able to his some terrific, incisive passes in the games against Arbroath, Annan and to some extent East Fife when Gormley and Campbell were making movements inside and out of the full-back, whilst Higgins was withdrawing deep from his centre forward position. However, he's struggled in the last few games as the movement towards the ball has diminished; a by-product of both poor team selection and low confidence.

Great analysis and I have to agree with what you are saying about McGovern. Good player still but needs good players around him that are on the same wavelength.

for a Clyde fan you are surprisingly articulate..........the next step in your evolutionary development will eventually see you experiment with polysyllabic communication, but this is encouraging progress for now...........sorry, that response will be beyond your current level of comprehension.............just keep up the good work

for a Clyde fan you are surprisingly articulate..........the next step in your evolutionary development will eventually see you experiment with polysyllabic communication, but this is encouraging progress for now...........sorry, that response will be beyond your current level of comprehension.............just keep up the good work

Nae full stop then?? What a fucking blue waffle you are.

Klassic bantz m8

OK

good comeback TCM - I just can't compete at that level

We would need to send out a crack team of mining and underground drilling experts to get anywhere near "your level". Keep picking and choosing (then losing) your battles though it's the joke that keeps on giving.

Archived