Under 21s Win 3-1

Fuctifano

I think you mean 2'6".

Seems a good result :o

BBC report

Austria U21 1-3 Scotland U21 

Celtic striker Craig Beattie scored twice as Scotland's youngsters earned their first win since November 2003.

Beattie flicked on a corner from club-mate Shaun Maloney for Rotherham's Gregor Robertson to head the opener.

Dunfermline's Scott Morrison was then hauled down by the Austrian 'keeper and Beattie converted the penalty kick.

Christian Thonhofer pulled one back for the Austrians early in the second half before Beattie ran in to slip home a low shot after 65 minutes.

Coach Rainer Bonhof will be glad that a 14-game barren run finally came to an end after the friendly in Koflach.

However, a win looked unlikely in the opening stages as the home side started brightly.

Hibs midfielder Kevin Thomson had to nod a Markus Berger header off the line and Andreas Holzl smacked a snapshot back off a post.

But the deadlock was broken from an unexpected source as Robertson had never previously scored for his country.

Maloney's 24th-minute corner was expertly back-headed into the danger zone by Beattie and the defender had the simple task of heading in from eight yards.

Scotland went further ahead after Austria goalkeeper Ramazan Ozcan conceded a penalty.

Hibs' Scott Brown was the man behind the move, taking the ball past four men on an impressive run before feeding Morrison with a clever diagonal ball.

Ozcan got there first but recklessly in the referee's eyes as Morrison did not get up again after the goalkeeper connected with first ball and then man.

It was not until Morrison was stretchered off in agony that Beattie was able to slot home the penalty.

Celtic goalkeeper David Marshall did well to block an effort from Garics from point-blank range after the interval.

But Thonhofer thundered Austria back in the game with an unstoppable effort from outside the box after Andreas Lasnik had cut back a 51st minute corner.

Beattie was denied by a parry by substitute goalkeeper Markus Probst after Steven Whittaker had sent the Celtic man on a chase.

Marshall again looked smart to keep out a powerful header from the tall striker Kienast.

The Scots stole a third goal as a move involving Thomson and Paul Gallagher saw Beattie slipped through the inside left channel and he stroked the ball past Probst from just inside the box.

The Austrians swarmed forward in the closing stages and Lasnik hit the bar from a free-kick as the Scots held on for a much-needed victory.

Austria U21: Ozcan, Schicker, Dober, Berger, Pollhuber, Prager, Thonhofer, Gyorgy Garics, Lasnik, Holzl, Janko. Subs: Probst, Eder, Bolter, Faumel, Fuchs, Kienast, Sulimani.

Scotland U21: Marshall, Berra, Diamond, Robertson, Whittaker, Thomson, Brown, Morrison, Beattie, Gallagher, Maloney. Subs: Samson, Kinniburgh, Quinn, Lawson, Duffy, Collins, Clarkson.

Well done boys 3-1 seems like a good result to me. Hopefuly the youngsters can turn the corner now and again show the full squad how it's done.

SPLW-W-W- I thought you'd have enough to worry about what with Falkirk being p1sh without going on and on about Scotland's short comings. Beattie will manage a game and a half in two days. He's still a young guy for fuk sake.

Well done boys 3-1 seems like a good result to me. Hopefuly the youngsters can turn the corner now and again show the full squad how it's done.

SPLW-W-W- I thought you'd have enough to worry about what with Falkirk being p1sh without going on and on about Scotland's short comings. Beattie will manage a game and a half in two days. He's still a young guy for fuk sake.

637419[/snapback]

I thought it was funny that he abused Smith for not calling him up, then blamed him for calling him up. :rolleyes::lol:

Archived