The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

I always put in and usually take a poppy, but again, I don't always wear it anymore. My grandad flew fighters with the RAF in WWII and my great grandad won the DC in WWI and I knew them both and saw how it affected them and always just got one because of that.

However the whole thing has been hijacked and ruined. It's lost its meaning and in Scotland has basically become another old firm scumbag argument.

My great grandfather was killed at the Somme and various family members and people I know/knew well fought in WW2 and Korea and Malaya. I always bought and wore a poppy, until it was hijacked years ago, never again.

I have always put a quid in the tub since i was a wee boy, my Granny grew up in a military family and often told me stories of her father in the war. 

I Will take a poppy, but the new plastic designed stems are a b*****d for putting on so i usually put it in my pocket, Very rarely wear one unless it is the remembrance. Last year someone had a go at me for putting it in my pocket. 

Aye they should give you a pin at the same time if they're giving you a plastic stem, you have little pin ones now also.

Chuck in a few quid every year, each to their own.

Actually With England vs. Scotland actually being on the 11th they probably won't get the chance.

Unless Kilmarnock provoke them by doing a minutes silence before Celtic's visit on the 18th

Inverness playing them on the 5 th at Parkhead also. I take it Rangers did this parade because it is their last home match before the 11th?

Just now, Günther said:

What has this got to do with it?? It's fuckin cringey the way Rangers and their fans seem to be hijacking the poppy thing. The whole troops abseiling from Ibrox is just ridiculous. Then Rangers scarves with Lest We Forget on them. It's just not needed! As someone pointed out earlier, it's just a "look how British we are" exercise which is fuelled even more when those fannies across the city have their "political protest". What happened to the days when fitbaw was just fitbaw?? Certainly not when it comes to both of those muppets. 

The merchandise thing is a bit annoying and as someone else pointed out, it's a travesty that funds have to be found to help our fallen and injured. I buy a couple of Poppy's as I keep losing them so that's my contribution. And as a grandchild of a WWII fighter, I pay my respects to him and his comrades and on the Sunday take part in the remembrance parade in Govan (where my church is). No doubt all those big loyalist British Rangers fans on Facebook and in the stands are still in their beds or talking pish to whoever is in there company at 11 on Remembrance Sunday. 

^^^sweep, sweep...yesterday never happened!

My great grandfather was killed at the Somme and various family members and people I know/knew well fought in WW2 and Korea and Malaya. I always bought and wore a poppy, until it was hijacked years ago, never again.

Indeed. The problem being folk taking that legitimate stance have to justify themselves among a babble of eejits who seem incapable of realising the point of poppies is (or at least was) to commemorate the loss of life, not to celebrate war victories.

On that matter, which poor sods have to put up with Celtic and their morons this year?

20 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Everyone does, but if 1st world war reparations hadn't been so honerous they might not have been so pissed off. 

You could always wear an eidelweiss poppy, just to join in like.

8 minutes ago, Günther said:

What has this got to do with it?? It's fuckin cringey the way Rangers and their fans seem to be hijacking the poppy thing. The whole troops abseiling from Ibrox is just ridiculous. Then Rangers scarves with Lest We Forget on them. It's just not needed! As someone pointed out earlier, it's just a "look how British we are" exercise which is fuelled even more when those fannies across the city have their "political protest". What happened to the days when fitbaw was just fitbaw?? Certainly not when it comes to both of those muppets. 

The merchandise thing is a bit annoying and as someone else pointed out, it's a travesty that funds have to be found to help our fallen and injured. I buy a couple of Poppy's as I keep losing them so that's my contribution. And as a grandchild of a WWII fighter, I pay my respects to him and his comrades and on the Sunday take part in the remembrance parade in Govan (where my church is). No doubt all those big loyalist British Rangers fans on Facebook and in the stands are still in their beds or talking pish to whoever is in there company at 11 on Remembrance Sunday. 

dcln.gif

9 minutes ago, Günther said:

I wear 3 poppies and go to a bigger parade.

I just obviously care more about it than you.