The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

In the news this morning that army recruitment is in such a state that they'll now allow in Commonwealth applicants who have never lived in the UK.

Food for thought in that it would appear that most of those currently artexing their boxers from the inside at the concept of "service" have no intention of actually exposing themselves to it.

Moreover, I'd imagine it's almost certain such a deal will include the right to residence in the UK after these recruits leave. As it's unlikely that much of said recruitment will come from Australia, Canada, NZ and so on and is more likely to come from the developing parts of the Commonwealth, it'll be interesting to see how the flag-waving Brexity types who seem to be the main cheerleaders reconcile themselves to the fact that the army will be letting in more of "those sorts..."

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Imagine having to publicly justify not wearing a poppy.

What a time to be alive.

This is the bit that gets me. Where are these conversations taking place? Unless either side engages on line or in person to debate the point. I have been to work, out to the pub, had an overnight away last night, been out walking. No-one has mentioned poppies. It's only an issue for the polarised tubes on either side.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

This is the bit that gets me. Where are these conversations taking place? Unless either side engages on line or in person to debate the point. I have been to work, out to the pub, had an overnight away last night, been out walking. No-one has mentioned poppies. It's only an issue for the polarised tubes on either side.

Agree.

I've never worn one and don't think I have ever had anyone question me about it.  In terms of football it makes more sense given clubs are having them sewn into the strips therefore it becomes a case of opting out of it rather than choosing to wear one.

Institutions like the BBC making it compulsory to appear on the news etc with a poppy don't help either.

But would say 95% of normal humans in society don't even notice.