The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Does anyone else feel a bit uneasy about the direction the whole poppy thing is going?

It seems to have been hijacked by right wing/loyalist elements and grief junkies. Not wearing a fucking poppy is now remarked on by people. It's all gone a bit far IMO. It should be a time for quiet contemplation for those who care and normal life for those who don't. Instead I've got various worthies on Facebook letting me know that soldiers died for me. I thought that was Jesus?

It does seem to be going a bit 'Princess Diana'.

Does anyone else feel a bit uneasy about the direction the whole poppy thing is going?

It seems to have been hijacked by right wing/loyalist elements and grief junkies. Not wearing a fucking poppy is now remarked on by people. It's all gone a bit far IMO. It should be a time for quiet contemplation for those who care and normal life for those who don't. Instead I've got various worthies on Facebook letting me know that soldiers died for me. I thought that was Jesus?

It does seem to be going a bit 'Princess Diana'.

Thing is there's nobody left from WW1 and now the WW2 lot are almost gone.

I'd guess after the old Queen goes this might be, not phased out but toned down.

In my lifetime it's went from wee local church ladies with a box of poppies chapping the door to well nothing unless you go looking for a poppy.

And the RBL seems to have sent tits up.

If there's nobody left then it's goodnight Earl Haig.

Seriously if it wasn't for the Ludge in my area it would pass unnoticed.

The Ludge and the chapel, the only two things still around in my post industrial wasteland.

Thing is there's nobody left from WW1 and now the WW2 lot are almost gone.

I'd guess after the old Queen goes this might be, not phased out but toned down.

In my lifetime it's went from wee local church ladies with a box of poppies chapping the door to well nothing unless you go looking for a poppy.

And the RBL seems to have sent tits up.

If there's nobody left then it's goodnight Earl Haig.

Seriously if it wasn't for the Ludge in my area it would pass unnoticed.

The Ludge and the chapel, the only two things still around in my post industrial wasteland.

Pics, please!

I seen last night a Lothian Bus with a giant poppy on the sides and pained as a memorial. Going far too far these days. Pipers, marches at football games etc. a dignified silence and a poppy or wreath should be suffice.

In int2 History we done the First World War but the vast majority of it was about the Alliance system and geopolitical factors rather than the actual soldiers.

Afaik the Scottish govt have changed the upper secondary history courses so that the geopolitical factors and the build up to World War One are specifically not covered anymore.

Back to the topic at hand. I'm not a fan of some of James McClean's behaviour on the football field but I utterly admire his courage in not wearing a poppy in the face of the gauntlet of poppy-fascist abuse he faces, not just in November but all year round (he gets booed every week). He could have been a moral coward and wore that symbol and had the quiet life, but he stood by his principles and he is now a target for vile Britnats.

One of these Britnats tweeted him saying he would be run out of Britain by force. Said Britnat had the following Winston Churchill quote on his profile: "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

McClean had to point out the irony of the quote to him!