The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

12 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I'm no doctor but, if there's one thing an under the weather nonagenarian needs to aid her recovery, it's standing still outside in the rain for a bit in November. Goadblesser. 

Aye, she'll be standing in the pishing rain all day. Maybe she should leave a bar on her electric fire for getting back in.

Unpopular opinions for this pish, but I can understand clubs laying a wreath at their own memorial before the closest home game to November 11th. It does seem ridiculous this early, but the week around the 11th is now generally international fixtures, so it's either going to be really early or really late, and there will be far less hassle from poppyshaggers if they do it early and get it out of the way.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Unpopular opinions for this pish, but I can understand clubs laying a wreath at their own memorial before the closest home game to November 11th. It does seem ridiculous this early, but the week around the 11th is now generally international fixtures, so it's either going to be really early or really late, and there will be far less hassle from poppyshaggers if they do it early and get it out of the way to show their respects.

14 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Unpopular opinions for this pish, but I can understand clubs laying a wreath at their own memorial before the closest home game to November 11th. It does seem ridiculous this early, but the week around the 11th is now generally international fixtures, so it's either going to be really early or really late, and there will be far less hassle from poppyshaggers if they do it early and get it out of the way.

The whole thing just seems entirely unnecessary from football clubs 

We have a time and a means to show respect 

Saturday, 12:30 in October at a football stadium isn’t the time or place in my opinion 

Especially as this is a relatively new thing for clubs to start doing 

Edit: You wouldn’t go and lay a wreath in your garden, so I don’t understand why it’s done inside a stadium

Wreaths should be laid at the memorial. 

Edited by Clown Job

18 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

It's gotten daft. If you have a home game on rememberance weekend, have a silence. Lay a wreath. If not. Do it as the away side. If you don't have a game rememberance weekend, so be it. Unless it's Hearts. 

I thought it was strange to have a silence for Walter Smith again yesterday, I'm with you that there is no need to show you care or remember at your home fixtures.

21 hours ago, Clown Job said:

It’s still October and Leicester are having a poppy display inside the stadium for the game today 

Leyton Orient went full bugle. 

20 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Orient also have home games on 6 and 9 November. 

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

On 30/10/2021 at 12:43, Mark Connolly said:

Maybe if FIFA didn't hate Are Boys we wouldn't have this problem.

Bringing remembrance month (celebrating war month) into football grounds leads us on the slippery slope to going full USA where they have military pageantry and the national anthem at every single game. 

I'm generally against minutes silence too unless it's major or club related. Having a minutes silence for the death of a royal, or for 9/11 etc is goulish and political.