The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Said this last year after the whole circus around the England game.

The irony of the 'it's not a political statement' argument is that they are right in a sense, it's not meant to be. It shouldn't be.

But they've made it a political statement with the way they carry on about it and demonise anyone who doesn't.

At the end of the day it is a charity like many others, people donate to charities that mean the most to them, if it is poppy scotland, British legion, help for heroes then fine, if not and it's something else, that's also fine.

In all honesty the more they force it on people the more I'm put off it.

For the sake of clarity who is the 'they' that you think is pushing an agenda, I'm pretty sure its not the charities themselves.

When the "Support our troops, lest we forget, give soldiers footballer's wages, we shall remember them" hypocrites start speaking out against the troops being sent into pointless, unnecessary and unwinnable wars, I'll be willing to accept that they give a monkey's chuff about them.

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I didn’t say it was the charities.

It’s the media and poppy point scorers you see on social media that I’m on about.

Should have led with "media and poppy point scorers", its a bit less ambiguous than "they". "They" just leads to arguments when its misunderstood. :)

1 hour ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Wearing a poppy has become like most other things in our society now- an empty, insincere platitude expressed as a matter of obligation rather than any conviction. Few would dare be seen on a TV screen without it.

The way it has been hijacked by plenty of loyalists up here and some right wing types down south in order to assume some moral superiority is pathetic.

I’ve seen guy kicking about with T shirts covered in Poppy’s, poppy tattoos etc as if desperate to demonstrate to every one that they REALLY care about our troops- it’s bordering on the obscene and it’s virtue signalling behaviour.

I’m full of admiration for anyone that puts their life on the line on others behalf, past or present. But I am not driven by a need to let everyone know. It should be a mark or respect not a mark of mawkish pride.

I don't think I'll read a more surprising post on P&B this year.

Anyway, this year I have decided to give very few fucks. It used to annoy me but seeing as I have no intention of buying or wearing a poppy I have decided it's none of my concern how the whole thing is hijacked.

My only point would be, my understanding and I could be wrong, is that it's meant to be about raising money for veterans charities.  All these home made suits, giant poppies, tatoos, facebook profiles etc presumably raise f**k all. The wearing of a poppy in and of itself to "show respect" completely misses the point about the fundraising side.

Edited by invergowrie arab

44 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

I didn't get a poppy last year and probably won't this year. The ones here are rubbish and curl up within a day or two. It should be a personal thing anyway so I have a standing order for Erskine hospital.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/humblebrag

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don't think I'll read a more surprising post on P&B this year.

Anyway, this year I have decided to give very few fucks. It used to annoy me but seeing as I have no intention of buying or wearing a poppy I have decided it's none of my concern how the whole thing is hijacked.

My only point would be, my understanding and I could be wrong, is that it's meant to be about raising money for veterans charities.  All these home made suits, giant poppies, tatoos, facebook profiles etc presumably raise f**k all. The wearing of a poppy in and of itself to "show respect" completely misses the point about the fundraising side.

Last year I was sat in George Square having my lunch around this time. I saw a group of people looking vaguely awed at this clear plastic pyramid thing with a bronze statue of a soldier in it. There was a fan of some sort in the bottom and it was blowing poppies around like a snowglobe. I thought the rapturous look of the (mostly old(er)) gawpers in front of it was spoiled by the tackiness of the affair, not to mention the cost which presumably went into its construction and transportation while about thirty yards away there's a giant war memorial that's been there for quite some time.

21 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Last year I was sat in George Square having my lunch around this time. I saw a group of people looking vaguely awed at this clear plastic pyramid thing with a bronze statue of a soldier in it. There was a fan of some sort in the bottom and it was blowing poppies around like a snowglobe. I thought the rapturous look of the (mostly old(er)) gawpers in front of it was spoiled by the tackiness of the affair, not to mention the cost which presumably went into its construction and transportation while about thirty yards away there's a giant war memorial that's been there for quite some time.

You could argue that if all the celebs that took part in Children in Need donated a couple of percent to the fund instead of tap dancing or whatever shit they get up to then the same money could be raised instead of public involvement.  The public involvement is a part of the whole process, um.... lest we forget.

There are a lot of charities sat on fortunes, my missus works in cancer research, the 'sciencey bit' not the fund raising and they have to do a sales pitch to the charities (although technically working for a university) for funding. I have heard that the British Legion is sat on gazillions and gathers far more than they dish out but that's anecdotal. Charity is an industry now, we'll all have ones that are 'closer to our hearts' than others.  Charities are run by people, charities head hunt people, its an industry, by all means, cherry pick YOUR charities, we all do, I just don't get the need to single out charities for criticism unless they've been caught being up to no good financially. A lot are by the way, some spend quite lavishly on their HQ's etc but my spider senses aren't picking up that this is your logic.

17 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember The (original) Crystal Maze.

Wearing a poppy has become like most other things in our society now- an empty, insincere platitude expressed as a matter of obligation rather than any conviction. Few would dare be seen on a TV screen without it.

The way it has been hijacked by plenty of loyalists up here and some right wing types down south in order to assume some moral superiority is pathetic.

I’ve seen guy kicking about with T shirts covered in Poppy’s, poppy tattoos etc as if desperate to demonstrate to every one that they REALLY care about our troops- it’s bordering on the obscene and it’s virtue signalling behaviour.

I’m full of admiration for anyone that puts their life on the line on others behalf, past or present. But I am not driven by a need to let everyone know. It should be a mark or respect not a mark of mawkish pride.

Wow. A brilliant post from you, I'm stunned. [emoji6]

My understanding is James Maclean has declined to wear one and had respectfully explained why.
Have I missed where he has been moronic?

Yup.

Still no explanation from Savage Henry.

Getting to that time of year on social media again, the joys.

I'll get one and wear it on the 11th, mainly for my gran who feels really strongly about it because her father and grandfather both served.

Like many have said it's now turned into something where people try to out do each other in the how much they care stakes.

Social media has a lot to answer for.

38 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yup.

Still no explanation from Savage Henry.

Getting to that time of year on social media again, the joys.

I'll get one and wear it on the 11th, mainly for my gran who feels really strongly about it because her father and grandfather both served.

Like many have said it's now turned into something where people try to out do each other in the how much they care stakes.

Social media has a lot to answer for.

Car bumper poppies are probably the biggest example of trying to outdo each other