Watches

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has inspired me. 

I've never worn a watch until I got one as a wedding gift 4 years ago which a wear daily.  It's just a £100 Boss watch which looks fairly nice but I want something a bit better.

I don't really know where to start,  I keep getting drawn to Tissot watches, I really like the way they look.

Any traps to avoid when buying? Budget around £500 mark, might stretch.

Edited by Mallo_Madrid

9 minutes ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

This thread has inspired me. 

I've never worn a watch until I got one as a wedding gift 4 years ago which a wear daily.  It's just a £100 Boss watch which looks fairly nice but I want something a bit better.

I don't really know where to start,  I keep getting drawn to Tissot watches, I really like the way they look.

Best advice is to go with what you like and sod anyone else’s opinion. 

Like you I never wore a watch for years. Wife ended up buying me an Apple Watch which I surprisingly find very useful and I can change the watch faces.

New to this thread, but I'm an absolute watch obsessive without the budget.

My watch box is currently hosting 14 watches.

I'm not a watch snob though, I wear what I like the look of (and in reality I only own one truly expensive watch).

I will be going against the grain a bit though, because like Benny Hill in the Italian Job "I like 'em big"!

This is the one I wear probably about 80% of the time;

It's an original Oris Prodiver Chronograph, which I bought about 12 years ago.  

51mm I shyt you not, but I am built like a lummox so...

Titanium case ,and I tend to wear it on the silicone strap rather than the titanium strap (which makes the watch look even bigger).

I've yet to see let alone meet anyone else with one (funny that).

It is currently absolutely fekking filthy because I wear it everywhere (and it must be due for another 3 year service).

But if you think the watch is big, you should see the box it came in!  It's like a carry-on suitcase.

20220414_140716.jpg

Edited by aDONisSheep

I've always worn my watches on the right wrist so the pushers have never been a problem.  I have worn it on the left when I've played tennis or golf in it, and the buggers do stick into your hand from time to time.

By contrast, this is probably the smallest watch I own (I think it's either 43mm or 44mm), but every time I put it back on it feels like a 'kiddies' watch by comparison.

Swatch diver chronograph (I use the term advisedly because I think it's only 10bar).

20220414_144144.jpg

18 minutes ago, killiepiemuncher said:

I like that one. My next watch will be a Mission to the Moon Omega Swatch once the hype has died down. I’ve also got an Oris TT1 and a Luminox Atacama field, both well used + 25 yr old. I’ve got an iWatch 7 for every day use.

I'm quite taken by the Swatch Omega and the Moon would be the version I'd go for.

What size is your TT1, I like the 47mm TT1 diver (kettle bell) shape...  A LOT!

My problem is that although I've got a lot of watches (I've found a 15th one).  I really only buy three styles.

Divers

Pilots

& G-shocks

It's a complete vanity project and I'm so surprised that I keep going back to the well!

Anyway, be prepared to see some more pictures of divers, pilots and G-shocks over the coming days.

I'm quite taken by the Swatch Omega and the Moon would be the version I'd go for.
What size is your TT1, I like the 47mm TT1 diver (kettle bell) shape...  A LOT!
My problem is that although I've got a lot of watches (I've found a 15th one).  I really only buy three styles.
Divers
Pilots
& G-shocks
It's a complete vanity project and I'm so surprised that I keep going back to the well!
Anyway, be prepared to see some more pictures of divers, pilots and G-shocks over the coming days.

The Oris is about 40mm just average size at the time I got it. No one had big watches then. The only ones about at that time were those big TW steel ones. I’ve just noticed that the tritium tubes have faded to practically nothing on my luminox, 25 years is the lifespan quoted. I wonder if you can get them replaced.

On 14/04/2022 at 20:31, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

You must be like Scwharzenegger to rock that 51mm aDONis, manage it though. Great dive watches Oris.

Thank you.

Unfortunately not.  

Lummox is pretty apt, I’m built like a rugby second row, think Alistair Kellock, Jim Hamilton type shape (but shorter at 6ft 3).

Today I have on a 46mm Citizen Eco-drive Promaster Aqualand.

I bought it for three reasons

1)  It had a Pepsi rotating bezel

2) it’s solar powered which is mental if you ask me

3) It had a weird gimmick where when you’re underwater a valve opens and a sub dial has a depth gauge and it also records the deepest you’ve dived.

I’ve never scuba dived in my life, but had to have a watch with a depth gauge.

That said I successfully recorded a depth of 4m on one breath near Swanage!

image.thumb.jpeg.937848131f80b7a815fa6b60e7fa85b4.jpeg