Queens v Dumbarton

Lots of people complaining about poor performance on internet forums etc. well get a grip we got three points didnt we. You just csnt please some people!! The team gave there all today and there was some nice link up play by Oliver & Kidd two young players and agaib Marshall performed well as did Thomson as all yoyng players.

Are you drunk?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of people complaining about poor performance on internet forums etc. well get a grip we got three points didnt we. You just csnt please some people!! The team gave there all today and there was some nice link up play by Oliver & Kidd two young players and agaib Marshall performed well as did Thomson as all yoyng players.

You are one of them. One week you lambast the team next minute they are world beaters. No middle ground with you supersouth. Get some perspective performances at home have been poor and today I thought we could easily have drawn that match and had no complaints.Good win though onwards and upwards.

I thought Alan Muir was decent today it has to be said. He's second behind Crawford Allan as my personal disliked referee's, but I think he did well today. There wasn't any big calls right enough but he let the game flow. Dunno where he got the added on time from though.

Three minutes. Five stoppages for subs. Seemed about right to me.

Bit lucky to take all three points I'd say. Did the one fumbled at the end hit the post? A genuinely heart stopping moment.

It was. As 19QOS19 said, though, we also hit the bar and had a few other decent chances. It was one of those games that could have ended 5-5

It wasnt a comfortable win or a great performance but after our recent run of poor form getting the result is all important right now.

We did crack the bar at 1-0 tbf. Would have been a peach had Millar buried it. There's no question Dumbarton did enough to deserve a point but to say we only had one chance isn't true.

I thought Thomson pounced on it. To be fair to him it was a great strike from Gibson. Those type of shots are a nightmare for 'keepers at the best of times so in the rain they're extremely difficult. He did well to recover so quickly. I thought he warranted his MOTM, if for no other reason I couldn't tell you what outfield player I'd have given it to.

It's 3 points but for me it was pretty poor again. The second half was far better than the first but if anyone thinks it was a convincing win they're lying to themselves. Dumbarton were well in it right until the end.

I thought Alan Muir was decent today it has to be said. He's second behind Crawford Allan as my personal disliked referee's, but I think he did well today. There wasn't any big calls right enough but he let the game flow. Dunno where he got the added on time from though.

Pretty harsh, IMO. Marshall, Higgins or Oliver all played really well. Brownlie, unfortunately, was all over the place though. Doesnt inspire any confidence at all. Kidd did well at right back, although it wasnt a MOM performance

Poor performance today but still won.

It says it all that our keeper was our best player.

We are to slow to move the ball in midfield and every ball seems to go back.

You get odd flashes off good play like for the goal and for the Millar shot that hit the bar but not enough.

Dumbarton played well just did not take the chances they made.

At the end as always we invite teams on to us Dumbarton hit the post and I thought for a second that the ball had gone in at the end before Thomson got the ball..

Poor performance today but still won. It says it all that our keeper was our best player. We are to slow to move the ball in midfield and every ball seems to go back. You get odd flashes off good play like for the goal and for the Millar shot that hit the bar but not enough. Dumbarton played well just did not take the chances they made. At the end as always we invite teams on to us Dumbarton hit the post and I thought for a second that the ball had gone in at the end before Thomson got the ball..

The midfield isnt always the problem. At times today we were far too static up front and the player on the ball has no choice but to turn back to keep possession. Some of the reactions from the crowd to a backward pass were utterly embarrassing <_<

It was a huge improvement on the Livi game, and we won, I'll settle for that. There are still plenty of aspects that need improving on but winning breeds confidence, and confident players will put in better performances.

The stats will say Dumbarton had more chances but I think we had better ones despite having fewer of them. Thomson made two great saves early on in the first half, but second half was virtually one way traffic aside from the final five minutes where Queens put on a masterclass in how not to play when defending a lead. Defending on our own 6 yard line, we continued gifting possession through slack passing or crossing the ball to no-one when we should have been running with it into the corners. I also couldn't help thinking of Scotland vs Poland when Pickard gave that daft free-kick away on the edge of the box. Fortunately we got away with it thanks to a combination of luck, and poor final balls from Dumbarton.

The best for me were Thomson who potentially won us the game with those early saves. Higgins, who put in his best performance of the season which was fortunate with bombscare Brownlie alongside him, and Lyle who put in a hell of a shift and lead by example throughout. He probably should have done better with his two free-headers in the first half, but he can't score them all.

ETA:

It is now looking very much like Falkirk will be joining the "big 2" in the top 3. Fourth place really is anyone's for the taking and despite being nowhere near the quality of a top 4 side of the past few seasons we are still right in there. The mood amongst our fans should perhaps start reflecting this!

I'd retry editing this.

No one has mentioned Heffernan how did he play?

Decent, very much like last week. Made some decent runs, takes up good positions but hes too slow to be a threat in behind. Thought he held the ball up better than last week. Really nice header for the goal too.

It was a huge improvement on the Livi game, and we won, I'll settle for that. There are still plenty of aspects that need improving on but winning breeds confidence, and confident players will put in better performances.

The stats will say Dumbarton had more chances but I think we had better ones despite having fewer of them. Thomson made two great saves early on in the first half, but second half was virtually one way traffic aside from the final five minutes where Queens put on a masterclass in how not to play when defending a lead. Defending on our own 6 yard line, we continued gifting possession through slack passing or crossing the ball to no-one when we should have been running with it into the corners. I also couldn't help thinking of Scotland vs Poland when Pickard gave that daft free-kick away on the edge of the box. Fortunately we got away with it thanks to a combination of luck, and poor final balls from Dumbarton.

The best for me were Thomson who potentially won us the game with those early saves. Higgins, who put in his best performance of the season which was fortunate with bombscare Brownlie alongside him, and Lyle who put in a hell of a shift and lead by example throughout. He probably should have done better with his two free-headers in the first half, but he can't score them all.

ETA:

It is now looking very much like Falkirk will be joining the "big 2" in the top 3. Fourth place really is anyone's for the taking and despite being nowhere near the quality of a top 4 side of the past few seasons we are still right in there. The mood amongst our fans should perhaps start reflecting this!

This. A win next week and, at least, avoiding defeat against Falkirk and Raith would see us right back in it. Im not convinced we're good enough to finish in the top 4 but theres no way we'll get drawn into any kind of relegation battle.

Thought heffernan done really well today which was good to see and Oliver too. Bit of booing clearly audible every time ball was passed back to keeper fair enough we have struggled at home in games and havnt played well but keeping possession when.we are 1 up and booing is pretty daft.

Certainly going to be a very open battle for fourth, Raith usually collapse around about now, us and Morton appear to be very evenly matched and St Mirren surely can't continue being this bad. Despite how scrappy the football has been to be at worst 4 points of the playoffs and 10 points clear of the bottom two isn't too bad and in line with what most people thought we'd be this season.

Guest TOPFITTER

Queens played a wee bit better than recently and won so I am now sure they will be close to a promotion play-off spot. Playing less than well and winning is a good portent for the future.

Dumbarton unless they find a way to put the ball away could be in danger of going away to a lower division. They contrive to be less than the sum of their parts and their comic cuts defending at least once a game once again cost them whilst their toothles, scoreless attack may doom them to the relegation play-offs. the only hope I can see for them is for Gibson to play off Fleming up front and the rest of today's team much the same.

Think I have finally sussed Heffernan's cunning plan. He was the same as last week - slow, poor touch, minimal threat. The difference from last week was that the Dumbarton defence decided he was no threat at all and not worth marking.

Bingo! A good cross is whipped in and he gets a free header in front of goal ( which he put away well tbf). I now expect him to be in the team for the next 6 weeks.

Queens played a wee bit better than recently and won so I am now sure they will be close to a promotion play-off spot. Playing less than well and winning is a good portent for the future.

Dumbarton unless they find a way to put the ball away could be in danger of going away to a lower division. They contrive to be less than the sum of their parts and their comic cuts defending at least once a game once again cost them whilst their toothles, scoreless attack may doom them to the relegation play-offs. the only hope I can see for them is for Gibson to play off Fleming up front and the rest of today's team much the same.

That's a fairly succinct summary of The Sons just now, would prefer to keep Brophy up front just now though, he worked hard today. Fleming is better in midfield tbh. Thought it was a decent match today, if we could only take our chances...????

Wasn't there today but the comments suggest that whereas Murray got away with results in a lot of games like this, Aitken can't buy a point at present. Looking at the league with its detached bottom four, ninth place is beginning to have our name written on it.

The lad Ross started up front today with Brophy, I'd have liked to see McCallum get a chance alongside Brophy. Ross was pretty honking. Queens were there for the taking today.

The lad Ross started up front today with Brophy, I'd have liked to see McCallum get a chance alongside Brophy. Ross was pretty honking. Queens were there for the taking today.

Was Ross not right mid with Brophy and Gal upfront?

Was Ross not right mid with Brophy and Gal upfront?

Who knows where Gal was playing. Wherever it was it was pretty ineffective. Brophy tried hard but he is on a hiding to nothing up there on his own. While we certainly played better today we are never going to win a game without someone else up front. The midfield are all too defensive minded and we have no cutting edge. We desparately need another forward and a midfielder who can create

Archived