McNamara gets York job

Jambo'ness

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earlier today:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/national-league-top-five-remains-realistic-target-for-york-city-insists-under-fire-jackie-mcnamara-1-8161453

JACKIE McNAMARA insists York City can still reach the National League play-offs despite a wretched start to the season. The Minstermen make the short trip to Guiseley for tonight’s derby sitting just two points and two places above the relegation zone. It is a desperately disappointing position for a club who were strongly fancied to bounce straight back into the Football League this term. A run of seven defeats in the last 10 outings has piled the pressure on McNamara, but he is adamant that the situation can be turned around. “The top five is still achievable,” said the Scot. “But we have to be a lot more clinical. If the players weren’t fighting for it, I would be worried. But it is the little things not going our way. “One goal will change the energy, lift the crowd, and then we won’t be too far away.”

They did get one goal to be fair to him.

Mind you when you're managed by a guy who comes out with statements like this what do you expect?

YORK City boss Jackie McNamara has admitted he did not realise you face a financial penalty if you board a train without buying a ticket first.

McNamara was ordered to pay nearly £500 in a fine and other court costs this week after failing to pay the £86 fare for a rail journey between Edinburgh and York on April 11.

Commenting on the circumstances of his conviction and The Press’ subsequent coverage of the offence, McNamara said: “When you take a step back, you kind of laugh at it and it’s an absolute nonsense, but one thing I have learned is that I would encourage everybody not to go on a train without buying a ticket first.

“I wasn’t aware that was the case, even when the machine isn’t working, although it might not end up in the press like me.”

York were 1-0 up after 11 minutes. Time for an old favourite we haven't heard for ages - 'We scored too early...'

Anyone with a modicum of decency would have resigned by now, which explains why he's still there.

In fareness* to the c**t, I'd expect to be able to pay for a ticket on a train having seen many do it both locally and long distance. It does seem a bit harsh if his story is true. Fucking great though.

* tee hee

At one point during the first half, a York City supporter had to be ejected for marching on to the pitch in an attempt to confront McNamara in the away dugout. As he did so the away fans chanted “we want Jackie out”.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/jackie-mcnamara-on-the-brink-at-york-city-after-6-1-defeat-1-4248745

17 minutes ago, Redstarstranraer said:

Mind you when you're managed by a guy who comes out with statements like this what do you expect?

YORK City boss Jackie McNamara has admitted he did not realise you face a financial penalty if you board a train without buying a ticket first.

McNamara was ordered to pay nearly £500 in a fine and other court costs this week after failing to pay the £86 fare for a rail journey between Edinburgh and York on April 11.

Commenting on the circumstances of his conviction and The Press’ subsequent coverage of the offence, McNamara said: “When you take a step back, you kind of laugh at it and it’s an absolute nonsense, but one thing I have learned is that I would encourage everybody not to go on a train without buying a ticket first.

“I wasn’t aware that was the case, even when the machine isn’t working, although it might not end up in the press like me.”

When did this policy start?

There were lines in the early-mid Nineties where you'd get fined for boarding without a ticket. The one I travelled on most regularly had several unmanned stations at which the sole ticket machine would be operational around 50% of the time, so the conductors just turned a blind eye after a few weeks of blazing rows with commuters who had no possible way of purchasing in advance.

5 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

When did this policy start?

Years and years ago.  From the National Rail Conditions of Travel:

6.3 You must have in your possession a valid Ticket before you board a train unless one of the following circumstances applies: (a) At the station where you start your journey, there is no means of purchasing a Ticket, either because there is no Ticket office open or self-service Ticket machine in working order and, where notices indicate that you are in a Penalty Fares area you purchase a Permit to Travel if there is a working Permit to Travel issuing machine at the station where you start your journey – see section 10 for more information about Penalty Fares; or (b) Where you are specifically permitted to board a train service by an authorised member of staff or notice of the Train Company whose service you intend to board; or (c) You have a disability and Ticket purchasing arrangements at the station you are departing from are not suitably accessible. In these cases, you must, as soon as you are reasonably able, buy an appropriate Ticket to complete your journey

None of the above exceptions would have applied to McNamara.  Don't believe for a second in a journey apparently between Edinburgh and York there was no means of purchasing a ticket before he got on the train.  On Scotrail to be fair they tend to be a bit more relaxed about these sorts of things in my experience and might have let him off with it but the inter city companies tend to be pretty anal about folk not having a valid ticket.

Scotrail are running a deal these days where your kids travel for free when accompanied by an adult. Last time I tried it, the ticket machine would still charge you for a child rate ticket, so I've been in the habit of buying our tickets on the train. If that's still the case, they'd have a bit of a cheek to crack the whip about not buying your ticket before boarding  :P

Can't be that hard to update your machines with the latest deals, surely.

Absolute turmoil down in York, can't see how he can survive this now.  Not with stuff like this being written in the local press:

YORK City suffered the saddest and most shameful night in the club’s history after being thumped 6-1 at win-less Guiseley.

Surely, it is now a formality that the lights are turned out on manager Jackie McNamara’s troubled tenure, with the club enduring dark days indeed.

McNamara said to be considering his position (again).  Hilariously he's blaming the woeful performance, in the last game anyway, on the fare-dodging episode:

“Somebody else might get a better chance at it after what I’ve had thrown at me that was nothing to do with football. It has affected me, my family and the chairman.”

Despite incurring a £500 fine for failing to pay for an Edinburgh-to-York train fare and The Press giving him every opportunity to explain the offence by delaying publication of the hearing by a day, McNamara went on to suggest he had become a victim of the episode.

“It was victimisation and lies and I was talking to my lawyers about it before this game, so it has been a distraction,” he claimed.

Aside from him being 'victimised' the blame for this latest defeat can also be split between the fans and the players, according to Jmac:

On his team’s display, meanwhile, he added: “We started well and went a goal up, but our game management was not there and you could see the fear again in the players. The fans showed their frustration and there were some horrible scenes with them baying for blood.

“A lot of players couldn’t handle that and they bullied us in a lot of areas of the pitch. You’ve got to use your head and keep your shape and discipline but, when people make mistakes, that reflects on me and I’m the first to blame.”

So there you have it, McNamara is the centre of a Shakespearean tragedy in which the press and fans are victimising him for reasons outwith his control whilst his own players betray him on the pitch because of their weaknesses.  Surrounded by such incompetence, malice and adversity, deserted by those who should be his allies, he bravely shoulders his burden and struggles on.  Or alternately he's totally inept.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Utterly throwing the players under the boss there, an absolute shambles of a man.

His comments for their official website are actually even worse in terms of putting all the blame on the players:

“You could see the fear in the players. 

“Obviously the fans are angry and have shown their frustrations quite a lot tonight and a lot of the players didn’t handle it. They didn’t stand up and fight for it. 

“I don’t think they fought for themselves enough. They seemed to want to get away and go into their little shells and that’s the disappointing factor. They haven’t handled the pressure side of things with an intimidating atmosphere and the fans baying for blood."

“I take responsibility for everything. Yes, the players are given jobs to do and when they don’t then it reflects onto me. When someone makes a mistake it’s my fault and that’s part and parcel of football. 

“When everything goes right you get praise and when things go wrong you are the first person to get stick which you have to accept as a manager. Like tonight a lot of it falls on me. 

“There a little things I accept from the footballing side, however there are things I’m not happy with that are nothing to do with football which have been unjustly done for me.”

The thing is after the debacle at Dundee United he could have pleaded mitigating factors and circumstances beyond his control and some folk would have believed him.  Even after taking York down he could have scuttled back up here, told the usual suspects in the Scottish media that they were doomed anyway and he had nothing to work with and they'd have made his excuses for him.  I doubt he would have got another gig down south but he might have had enough credibility to get another position in Scotland at some point based on his record at Partick more than anything.  If he had a bit more sense and self-awareness maybe he ought to have accepted he couldn't cope at York and resigned at the end of last season or even the beginning of this one and he'd have retained a shred of credibility.  

Sticking around at York and presiding over an ever deepening farce is only highlighting his abject failings as a manager, and coming out with increasingly desperate statements like the above is also highlighting a pretty abject character as a man.  All this 'I take full responsibility' guff coupled with him savaging the fans, the press, ticket inspectors on long-distance trains and above all the players to simultaneously absolve himself of said responsibility is deeply unedifying stuff.  Be astonished if he gets another job after this one, aside from being a pundit on Sportsound, evidently. 

http://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/club-statement-3349558.aspx

FOLLOWING a meeting with the Chairman this morning, and in light of the disappointing performance and result last night, York City manager Jackie McNamara has considered his position going forward.

It has been decided that, if the team fails to gain a positive result at Braintree Town on Saturday, the York City manager will tender his resignation. 

The manager will be looking for a passionate and committed reaction from the players after the capitulation at Nethermoor Park on Tuesday evening.
Read more at http://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/club-statement-3349558.aspx#BdGuvuRaqwrUveIg.99

:lol::lol:

Archived