Explosion in Paris

G-MAN

I can understand the unwillingness to put the blame on to Islamic extremists because of the relish some people have to pin literally anything on Muslims but who else can even be considered here?

Yup, because there are literally no other terrorist groups in the world.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not watching the live coverage and don't really want to. Seems a bit macabre.

Stepping away from the monstrosity and horror of what's going on tonight - if that is really possible - what can Hollande and the French government do to respond to this?

It's not even a year since the magazine atrocities and a few months since the failed train massacre. Plus they've got Euro 2016 in only 6 months time.

In the UK we'd some more recent experience of repeated terror attacks causing substantial loss of life, with the IRA, but France hasn't seen this sort of thing since the Algerian confrontation in the early '60s.

It happening again - and much worse, it seems - must have a huge psychological effect.

Does anyone actually find the likes of Sergeant Wilson, Zen Archer, etc, funny on these types of threads? Their chat is fucking terrible.

Their chat is always dreadful tbf, they just crack a stauner in threads like this and post way more than usual.

I'm always in favour of a bit of humour to deal with major events but it helps if it's actually funny.

Only other thing that could be an unlikely option would be separatists from Corsica or something? Almost certainly ISIS tbh

It certainly bears a striking resemblance to the Hebdo attacks in their co-ordination and execution (if you'll pardon the pun) albeit on a much larger scale. Folk speculating that this is in retaliation to the Mohammad Emwazi killing are well wide for me. This has all the hallmarks of a thought out and co-ordinated attack and not a retaliatory lashing out.

Also am I imagining things or didn't I see a headling on SSN earlier about the Germany team being diverted back to CDG Airport earlier today or yesterday as there was a threat/heightened terror alert? I'm certain I saw this about 5pm today and found it a bit strange given that they apparently then knew something like this may happen...

Apart from bombings/ 9/11 etc I am struggling to remember or think of anything as bad as this before, in my lifetime anyway. Terrorists all over such a huge city just running about suicide bombing and shooting people.

Can see this lasting a while and the death toll increasing even further. Absolutely surreal sitting here watching the news.. :(

It's not a competition but this is just worse than 11/9

Apart from bombings/ 9/11 etc I am struggling to remember or think of anything as bad as this before, in my lifetime anyway. Terrorists all over such a huge city just running about suicide bombing and shooting people.

Can see this lasting a while and the death toll increasing even further. Absolutely surreal sitting here watching the news.. :(

The 1972 Munich hostage situation would be the equivalent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre

What an absolute w****r you are. I can't stand arseholes like you that try to make political mileage in the middle of an atrocity.

Tbf you're bang on here. Lol at John Rentoul immediately attaching Corbyn when this broke for example.

Mumbai 2008

I'm not watching the live coverage and don't really want to. Seems a bit macabre.

Stepping away from the monstrosity and horror of what's going on tonight - if that is really possible - what can Hollande and the French government do to respond to this?

It's not even a year since the magazine atrocities and a few months since the failed train massacre. Plus they've got Euro 2016 in only 6 months time.

In the UK we'd some more recent experience of repeated terror attacks causing substantial loss of life, with the IRA, but France hasn't seen this sort of thing since the Algerian confrontation in the early '60s.

It happening again - and much worse, it seems - must have a huge psychological effect.

Will be amazed if they don't step up their involvement in Syria.

Archived