BBC to axe red button service

FlyerTon

Bar the two examples given in the article I can't imagine it gets used all that much. Personally I've only ever used it during Glasto coverage.With the popularity of the iPlayer for extra footage and smartphones for instant information the service is a bit redundant.

What happened to plans to scrap BBC3 though? That piece of shit truly needs taken out back and have its head panned in with a shovel.

BBC Three proposed to close in March 2016.

The Red Button used to be good for the snooker as well but they kind of gave up on it and most current snooker players you dont want to watch anyway.

Yup. I think the cutbacks to the BBC are sad, but if two things have to go, it'd be BBC Three and the Red Button.

It's good for big events like the Olympics when they could show nearly every event simultaneously. Hopefully they could bring it back when needed.

P.S. Can't remember the last time I watched BBC3, all the good stuff goes on BBC4. I'm probably a bit old for the target demographic though.

It's good for big events like the Olympics when they could show nearly every event simultaneously. Hopefully they could bring it back when needed.

P.S. Can't remember the last time I watched BBC3, all the good stuff goes on BBC4. I'm probably a bit old for the target demographic though.

I was of their target demographic when it was first introduced. Was shit even then.

Actually according to Wikipedia their target was to make programming that appeals to 14 to 34 year olds. Im still well within that bracket.

How much does it cost to run the BBC3 and BBC4 channels? I'm not talking about producing content for them, just the act of broadcasting on those frequencies. Surely they could save money by taking programmes from these channels and showing them on the main two channels instead of showing episodes of Dad's Army for the millionth time.

Every BBC 3 show bar family guy and American dad is cringeworthy and awful so like most im happy to see it go. Shocked about the red button as others have said great for Wimbledon and the Olympics so a bit disappointed.

Will BBC 4 change its name to BBC 3?

Wouldnt have thought so as they say its just moving online not going altogether and will help with branding, advertising and not confusing the dumb if they dont change its name.

I wonder what they will do with the spare channel, BBC1 +1 was at one point proposed to happen but got denied.

Archived