Bombing Syria

ICTJohnboy

Agree with what? Every policy the party has? Really?

What about the SNP MP that's gone round the houses party wise. Not sure we have any idea what she believes in other than 'I want to get elected".

The SNP seems to me a pretty broad community. On Indy yeah sure they will be of one mind. But on other issues? Not a chance.

Not every policy but with something as big as this I think it would be pretty obvious.

I think Salmond is becoming a bit of an embarrassment for the SNP now. He's yesterday's man and has found his replacement is doing a better job than he did in a much more likeable way.

He doesn't really have a role now. A bit of a spare part.

Alec salmond=terrorist sympathiser.

I don't see it being an obvious and clear choice. Such that all of the 56 would have felt the same way deep down.

If the Yes side had won do you think bombing Syria would be on Holyrood's agenda right now? The imperial twilight world view of the Tories and New Labour at Westminster is different from that of the average SNP activist.

What is th the point in an MP attempting to put across their personal qualities/beliefs if a party whip system exists.

Surely we should have intelligent people working day to day for constituents then another set of chimps voting how their party leader wishes?

Solving any geopolitical crisis shouldn't be one thing or nothing. Most of the 7/7 and paris attacks were by EU citizens under 30. They've been turned to extremism by radical clerics whose message sounds a lot more convincing when you live in a shithole or don't work. If we marginalise people we are only going to lead to further division in society. The fight against extremism is as relevant in towns and cities across Europe as it is in Raqqa. Bombing ISIS isn't mission accomplished and we need to realise that just bombing things because it's the easy option isn't the only thing we can do.

The concern in Syria for me is that who is going to be there to clean up the mess, we seem to be there just to keep up appearances rather than do anything meaningful. Us parading about like John Terry after the 2012 champions league final as if we've actually made a proper contribution is a minter for everyone involved.

That analysis is somewhat flawed. The fact is that many of the newer recruits are not from some shithole but often from comfy middle class backgrounds.

Is it not the case though, and forgive me if I'm wrong because I don't have a clue about politics, but do you not join a party because you know what they stand for and you agree with them?

I bet their were a few SNP MPs that voted Labour until the Tony Blair era and have switched over.

Some were even Labour politicians.

One was even General Secretary of the Labour Party in Scotland.

It suddenly became the buzzword yesterday,it was strange

A cheap attempt to liken bombing Syria to fighting the Nazis and other forces that British forces were once engaged against. It drums up the jingoistic with the spirit of the Blitz, what!

What is th the point in an MP attempting to put across their personal qualities/beliefs if a party whip system exists.

Surely we should have intelligent people working day to day for constituents then another set of chimps voting how their party leader wishes?

You would have to do away with political parties and stop campaigning nationally.

Which actually has its merits....

However, if we had a party of individuals, they would just begin to sit in groups and parties would just form again.

You would have to do away with political parties and stop campaigning nationally.

Which actually has its merits....

However, if we had a party of individuals, they would just begin to sit in groups and parties would just form again.

I'd rather have no political parties and people elected their representative based on campaign on their beliefs and vision for society. Those people would vote on matters they had in a personal manifesto as they claimed they would and for other matters consult their constituents.

The devil is in the detail.

Its often the case that the best warmongering speeches ....

The clapping and cheering for Benn's oratory was a victory for just that, just oratory.

Oratory in an arcane debating chamber.

The Tory and Labour MPs joined together to congratulate delivery rather than content.

I see trouble, trouble a-coming