Celtic's European Campaign 2016/17

jagfox

"Back where we belong", and then three months down the line they'll be celebrating a third place finish.

Tremendous

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, WaffenThinMint said:

The scramble for relevence meanwhile has been going on for a lot longer.

If this proves to be another tiresome year of being humped in the Champions League & hoping for a UEFA Cup repecharge & "fingers crossed" for soft draws - despite the annual entries - I don't see how they can go on kidding themselves they're "one of the biggest clubs in Europe" (to quote the routine battlecry of the blinkered bhoy...). Something will need to change, because if even they find themselves falling further & further behind the European domestic pack, it could be we've been eclipsed for good as far as Scottish clubs in Europe is concerned.

^^^ Heads gone material.

A little more one sided than I expected last night but over the two legs Celtic probably deserved that. They are still desperately short of a competent defensive mid, and unless Lustig stays fit they definitely need a new right back because Janko is definitely not the answer there. Suppose qualification means they should be good to fill those positions.

3 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

Celtic fans on here disappearing until after the final whistle :lol:

"Back where we belong"? Two cheeks of the same arse indeed.

1 minute ago, Randy Giles said:

I actually think Deila would have made a better job of getting through that tie.

I know it hurts lads, but you'll get over it.

There, there.....:bairn

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

"Back where we belong", and then three months down the line they'll be celebrating a third place finish.

Tremendous

Going by last night's game a third place finish would be some achievement for that team.

Well done Celtic, you jammy b*****ds, that was second worst penalty I've seen in Europe this season. 

Ideally UEFA will fine you around £23.5million and if not Celtic should donate it to Palestine otherwise the whole flag thing just looks like a classless and cynical, although effective judging by their away performance, attempt to unsettle Happoel.

Using this money to strengthen the obvious weaknesses in midfield and defence rather than supporting the people of the West Bank and Gaza would be a disgrace and any domestic success would be tainted, blood on hands etc. 

In solidarity, I for one would be happy for Aberdeen to match this donation with our own "bumper" £200k windfall and put our spending plans on hold. Maybe next year.

Also I'm glad Strachan was watching, he can drop Tierney, Forrest, Griffiths and Gordon for the away match at Slovakia, empty shirts away from home.

Just now, Hibeesbounce75 said:

They aren't a "very poor side" though. If they were they wouldn't have won 2-0 last night and missed good chances to make it 3 and Celtic would've been out.

I didn't see much to suggest they were any great shakes. If they were, they'd probably have been the ones celebrating at the final whistle. Celtic basically cut themselves open and put themselves on a plate for Hapoel to finish off.

They got through a better side in the last round in what felt like a more comfortable tie in the end despite it being very nervy stuff. They just looked like they completely shat it last night. Panicked defending, awful positioning and slack passing, even when not under great pressure. And yet they got through it despite offering next to nothing.

Bad day for the Rangers/Brexiter fukwits...

every SPL team gets £250k from Celtics qualification ....except Rangers ,their cut goes to Dundee United also...

See what’s happening on Twitter

Thanks to sterling's 12% fall since Brexit, Celtic will get at least an extra £3M for Champions League qualification.

Not a pretty game to watch. Gave the ball away too easily instead of trying to hold on to possession.

Awful 2nd goal to give away which put the nerves on high alert.

Anyway we're through. Now if the rest of Scottish football could just post their thanks below, we'll get round to reading your plaudits for raising Scottish footballs co-efficiency & earning you £200k for OUR ACHIEVEMENTS :lol:

Celtic earn 11 Premiership rivals £200k each by clinching Champions League place

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-clinch-champions-league-place-8693331#ICID=ios_DailyRecordNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

11 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Could someone please tell me if Celtic qualifying means everyone in the Premiership (except The Rangers) get a cash windfall? I don't think it's been mentioned at all.

Everyone in the Premiership (except the Rangers) get a cash windfall due to Celtic being so awesome,

HTH

8 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

So is everyone (except the rangers) getting a cash windfall then, aye?

Yeah (except the rangers) who don't need the money, especially from us. Warchest etc, etc....

Archived