Celtic's European Campaign 2016/17

jagfox

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, hoopy1967 said:

So Ajer hasn't travelled due to a hand injury and apparently Sviatchenko isn't gonna be fit....

It's Efe time! :D

I think I'll be watching the game on the toilet Hoopy.

I'll consider this a goal down with a high probability Efe will get a red card before the refs whistle to start the game. :(

The only plus out of all this all the funny posts because the worlds greatest striker for any Celtic opposition is being played. :D

28 minutes ago, 11thHour said:

Anyone ken a good place I could listen to the game? I'll still be in work.

BBC Scotland will have it on the radio and Internet. 

No one is denying the historic dominance of the OF.

However, you just need to look at the last few years with a combination of Rangers absence and no CL football for Celtic has seen them regress significantly.

Sorry but this is not entirely accurate. Yes, the standard of player has dipped but then this started dipping before the old Rangers died. We've been downsizing since Strachan took over. However by regressing we've still been romping the league by as many points as we sometimes did with the old Rangers in the league or not.

Look at the likes of Virgil Van Dijk, he waited to see the outcome of the CL qualifiers to decide whether or not to leave.

More nonsense. More a case of Celtic not selling him because we had the CL qualifiers. The defender wanted to move as soon as the EPL clubs came sniffing. Always going to be the case.

For clarity, I have no expectation of the Dons winning the league, I just want us to have the best possible opportunity to compete.  Celtic reaching the CL does not give us that opportunity.

Yes it does. In fact it's only your failure to capitalise on this that that has prevented you from competing more. We played in the EL last season (yes I know it's not the CL, but same principle of midweek European travel), & instead of putting us under pressure for when we got back from travelling all over Europe, you went on a losing run. If we are playing in midweek football against top opposition our players will be leg weary from that intensity of playing to their maximum coupled with the travelling, not to mention the disruption of training plans. If that isn't to Aberdeen's advantage then what is?

i'll not need to, there are plenty on here that will provide enough entertainment, especially some guy called daviebhoy i think it is

Your stalker ways are very much not appreciated.

In terms of providing entertainment though, I'm sure I'm not in the same league as David Murray, Craig Whyte, Charles Green & The Lying King. In fact I'm not even close :lol:

1 minute ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Your stalker ways are very much not appreciated.

In terms of providing entertainment though, I'm sure I'm not in the same league as David Murray, Craig Whyte, Charles Green & The Lying King. In fact I'm not even close :lol:

oofftt desperate stuff, even then during they times i bet you wanted rangers to do well like the rest of scottish football, but wait what if we earned more money then its a no but the rest can do well, but then we could win every trophy going, earn less than celtic, and you'd applaud us

thats about the jist of your recent calamitous input to this thread isnt it :lol:

1 hour ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Sorry but this is not entirely accurate. Yes, the standard of player has dipped but then this started dipping before the old Rangers died. We've been downsizing since Strachan took over. However by regressing we've still been romping the league by as many points as we sometimes did with the old Rangers in the league or not.

More nonsense. More a case of Celtic not selling him because we had the CL qualifiers. The defender wanted to move as soon as the EPL clubs came sniffing. Always going to be the case.

Yes it does. In fact it's only your failure to capitalise on this that that has prevented you from competing more. We played in the EL last season (yes I know it's not the CL, but same principle of midweek European travel), & instead of putting us under pressure for when we got back from travelling all over Europe, you went on a losing run. If we are playing in midweek football against top opposition our players will be leg weary from that intensity of playing to their maximum coupled with the travelling, not to mention the disruption of training plans. If that isn't to Aberdeen's advantage then what is?

1) are you denying CL football has an impact on the calibre of player you sign?

2) do you really think CL football has no bearing on the decisions of the likes of Van Dijk or say Hooper

3) Yes of course we could have done better to capitalise on your Eurpean exploits but this argument is not about short term benefits of Europe it is a long term outlook.  Given you have no chance of winning the CL, wy do you think your club places so much weight upon qualifying each year?

1 hour ago, Davie Bhoy said:

This pitch looks awful. As if we didn't have enough to worry about we now have to rely on big Efe on this excuse for a pitch IMG_1469539869.810277.jpg

That's what you get when you play In the qualifiers.

2 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

This pitch looks awful. As if we didn't have enough to worry about we now have to rely on big Efe on this excuse for a pitch IMG_1469539869.810277.jpg

^^^ Brenda Rogers

1) are you denying CL football has an impact on the calibre of player you sign?

That wasn't your argument though. You said we had regressed without it & Rangers, which wasn't the case. We still played CL & had Rangers around when we started to start cutting our budget. I've already admitted that it helps attract & afford players by being in the league but as the points difference shows, we haven't regressed in that sense.

2) do you really think CL football has no bearing on the decisions of the likes of Van Dijk or say Hooper

Again, this wasn't what you were arguing. You claimed that VVD had held off to see if we progressed through the qualifiers when that wasn't the case. Celtic wouldn't sell him while we had these qualifiers. If the club gave the player the choice, he'd have left. After all, he tried to leave the season before.

3) Yes of course we could have done better to capitalise on your Eurpean exploits but this argument is not about short term benefits of Europe it is a long term outlook.  Given you have no chance of winning the CL, wy do you think your club places so much weight upon qualifying each year?

It's not about short term or long term either way. The short-term benefit can also benefit you in the long term. If we do well in Europe for a couple of seasons it raises the co-efficient standing. Could it get us back to having automatic entry or two clubs in the CL? It could help you take advantage to win the league or maybe grab that 2nd space to get entry to the CL.

Seriously, why don't Aberdeen fans get off their ass, get behind their team...pretend it's a cup final and pack out Pittodrie. The extra revenue could push you on to do better in all competitions. Why all the doom & gloom? Instead of trying to better yourselves, you want to instead close the gap by hoping we slip down the ladder instead of you lot climbing it. Pretty sad really.

I suspect Celtic will lose today - it's just a question of by how many. If they can keep it to a one goal defeat (preferably with an away goal), then they might be able to limp through to the next round and get knocked out then.

13 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

That wasn't your argument though. You said we had regressed without it & Rangers, which wasn't the case. We still played CL & had Rangers around when we started to start cutting our budget. I've already admitted that it helps attract & afford players by being in the league but as the points difference shows, we haven't regressed in that sense.

Again, this wasn't what you were arguing. You claimed that VVD had held off to see if we progressed through the qualifiers when that wasn't the case. Celtic wouldn't sell him while we had these qualifiers. If the club gave the player the choice, he'd have left. After all, he tried to leave the season before.

It's not about short term or long term either way. The short-term benefit can also benefit you in the long term. If we do well in Europe for a couple of seasons it raises the co-efficient standing. Could it get us back to having automatic entry or two clubs in the CL? It could help you take advantage to win the league or maybe grab that 2nd space to get entry to the CL.

Seriously, why don't Aberdeen fans get off their ass, get behind their team...pretend it's a cup final and pack out Pittodrie. The extra revenue could push you on to do better in all competitions. Why all the doom & gloom? Instead of trying to better yourselves, you want to instead close the gap by hoping we slip down the ladder instead of you lot climbing it. Pretty sad really.

So basically your argument against what I said is semantics, in reality you know that CL football improves you as a team both financially and as a carrot for prospective players.  That is a fact.  Thanks for confirming it.

I can see the coefficient argument and I understand it, I do.  It would be fantastic if we all just automatically got into the group stages.  Except if you look at recent trends it is clear that UEFA are systematically trying to phase out 'smaller' teams from European football and that includes any Scottish team outside the OF.  Aberdeen (or Celtic for that matter) will never win the EL or CL so I would rather focus on improving the game domestically than worrying too much about our impact on the continent.  As I've said, I understand why people support all Scottish sides inclusive of OF in Europe, but to create a truly competitive domestic league, you qualifying for the CL will not help in the slightest.

Finally, please don't pretend to know anything about Aberdeen fans or our attendances or our levels of apathy towards European football, domestic football or whatever.  It is quite clear you have no idea of it, which is fine, you support Celtic, I don't expect you to, but don't comment on it as if you do.

Archived