Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

Randomly bumping this back to the top. Does anyone know anything about Freshman guitars? I noticed one in the window of a charity shop in Dumfries for £60. It's an electric but nearly all the stuff about Freshman online seems to be about acoustic ones.

I think it's this model (right down to the same cracks in the white plastic bits!): https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/freshman-fep-bl-electric-guitar.-24-frets-mahogany-body-dove-inlays./1156993251

Anyone know if £60 is a crap/decent/amazing price for that? 

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Randomly bumping this back to the top. Does anyone know anything about Freshman guitars? I noticed one in the window of a charity shop in Dumfries for £60. It's an electric but nearly all the stuff about Freshman online seems to be about acoustic ones.

I think it's this model (right down to the same cracks in the white plastic bits!): https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/freshman-fep-bl-electric-guitar.-24-frets-mahogany-body-dove-inlays./1156993251

Anyone know if £60 is a crap/decent/amazing price for that? 

That ad's gone from gumtree so can't tell if it's a good price or not. I've never had a Freshman but I've seen a few crackers. Pretty sure they're a Scottish company too.

12 minutes ago, Rugster said:

That ad's gone from gumtree so can't tell if it's a good price or not. I've never had a Freshman but I've seen a few crackers. Pretty sure they're a Scottish company too.

It's still there if you scroll down (dunno if that's only on PC).

Have attached a screenshot of most of the advert. Was a "Freshman FEP-BL Electric Guitar. 24 frets, Mahogany body, Dove Inlays" being sold for £100. Appreciate compared to that £60 is a good deal, just wanting a bit more info :)

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Stu

37 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's still there if you scroll down (dunno if that's only on PC).

Have attached a screenshot of most of the advert. Was a "Freshman FEP-BL Electric Guitar. 24 frets, Mahogany body, Dove Inlays" being sold for £100. Appreciate compared to that £60 is a good deal, just wanting a bit more info :)

Untitled.jpg

If the one in the charity shop is in good nick I'd snap it up at £60. Definitely a good deal.

• 1 month later...
On 29/09/2016 at 18:08, Sonsrock said:

Picked this up on ebay over the summer. Vintage V100 lemon drop

Is that non standard tuners?

My V100 sounds and plays great but the standard tuners are a bit jobby, same with the bridge & talepiece.

I got a set of Grover's on my Epi LP Custom years back and it's totally solid now so may get the same for the vintage.

Is that non standard tuners?

My V100 sounds and plays great but the standard tuners are a bit jobby, same with the bridge & talepiece.

I got a set of Grover's on my Epi LP Custom years back and it's totally solid now so may get the same for the vintage.

It's as it came. It's their copy of Peter Green's les paul
It keeps its tune well enough as my back up guitar

• 1 month later...

Don't play live very much these days, but still have my gear.  Acoustic player in the main, but enjoy playing electric:-

Acoustics -

• Santa Cruz Tony Rice, McilRoy A30 (tuned CGCGCD), Nigel Forster model C (tuned DADGAD), Nigel Forster model G (en route, will be tuned DAAEAE), Larrivee OM09, Larrivee SD50 TSB, Larrivee CO9.   Likely to sell the last two Larrivees.  Fishman p/ups, AER Amp, Boss AD5 and AD8 acoustic processors

Electrics -

• PRS - McCarty Model with humbuckers; McCarty Soapbar Standard; McCarty Hollowbody 1; Swamp Ash Special (older H/S/H model), Starla (core US model, not S2) and SE One fitted with TV Jones T90
  • Levinson Blade - RH4 (1991), Delta T2 (Telecaster, with TV Jones Classic at neck), Texas Vintage 62
  • Patrick Eggle - Berlin Pro (1991), NY Broadway ( with TV Jones p/ups)
  • Others - Don Grosh Retro Classic (strat), Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom, Reverend Warhawk with BK P90s
  • Amp  - Mesa Boogie Blue Angel; various boss pedals 

Think thats it

On 3/31/2016 at 09:38, Highland Capital said:

Has anyone ever played a Guild guitar, especially an electric?  Have my eye on a Starfire 3 as I think they look cool!

Might be a bit late with this.  Never played the current Guild Starfire 3, but if you can get your hands on the De Armond take on them, issued in the 90s, You'll have a great rockabilly guitar at a knock down price

Anyone here quite savvy with changing pick up's? I've got a Jackson JS22 Dinky which just has the stock Jackson pick up's in it already but fancy getting the Seymour Duncan Blackouts or EMG 81/85's (yes I know a bit trendy but has the sound I'm keen to have). Is it quite a straight forward job? most videos I've watched makes it seem overly niggly.

Started playing in April as a result of my missus buying me a strat for my birthday. Practice using a Roland Cube, which is fairly basic and probably crap, but enough for me right now as I am still pish.

Anyone had much experience of electro-acoustic guitars? I currently have an electric and was toying with getting an acoustic one and was wondering if it was worth paying a bit extra for it to have the electric stuff too. The Epiphone AJ-220SCE looks the best for my sort of price range.

Failing that, would I be better just getting a bog standard acoustic? The Yamaha F310, the Fender CD-60 and the Epiphone DR-100 were the three I was looking at. I'm not that serious a player - I spent a hundred quid on my electric a few years ago and am happy enough with it so that should give some idea as to my interest!

And someone please put my mind at rest and tell me none of this are classical guitars - someone gave me one after I got my electric and I hate the sound of it!

I've got a Martin 000-16 acoustic now but years ago i Bought a Yamaha FG 140.

Excellent guitar for the money.

As far as electro acoustic guitars, purists will tell you that the electrics interfere with the resonance in the body but I've never had one myself so don't know

2 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

I've got a Martin 000-16 acoustic now but years ago i Bought a Yamaha FG 140.

Excellent guitar for the money.

As far as electro acoustic guitars, purists will tell you that the electrics interfere with the resonance in the body but I've never had one myself so don't know

My acoustics have Fishman pick ups, but never have a controls mounted on the guitar, have them as a separate floor unit.  That way you are not altering the body off the gguitar and also allows you to upgrade the pick up as well without altering anything else

Just now, PRS said:

2 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

My acoustics have Fishman pick ups, but never have a controls mounted on the guitar, have them as a separate floor unit.  That way you are not altering the body off the gguitar and also allows you to upgrade the pick up as well without altering anything else

Cheers for the advice. Follow up question as it's Black Friday, anyone know if this is decent for the price? http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Yamaha-F370DW-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural/1MJ3

It's £50 less than anywhere else and I'm guessing from the model number it's a more advanced model than the F310. However, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the DW part means (some sites include that in their description, some don't and I'm wondering if that means the F370DW differs from the F370 in some way). Also, some places describe it as an "acoustic folk guitar" - is that different to an acoustic guitar some way? As long as it's not a classical...

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Cheers for the advice. Follow up question as it's Black Friday, anyone know if this is decent for the price? http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Yamaha-F370DW-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural/1MJ3

It's £50 less than anywhere else and I'm guessing from the model number it's a more advanced model than the F310. However, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the DW part means (some sites include that in their description, some don't and I'm wondering if that means the F370DW differs from the F370 in some way). Also, some places describe it as an "acoustic folk guitar" - is that different to an acoustic guitar some way? As long as it's not a classical...

A classical guitar has nylon strings instead of steel strings, and a completely different winder set up, see below.

guitar.jpg