Stupidest statements from politicians

Antlion

Let's keep it light, lads.

Hillary Clinton: "Women have always been the primary victims of war. They've lost husbands, brothers, sons." (The husbands, brothers and sons were probably spirited away to eat ice cream and sweets for the rest of their long and happy wartime lives)

Johann Lamont: "We're not genetically programmed to make political decisions in Scotland." (I actually get what she meant/her context - but it will the kind of statement the dimmest of politicians would know not to make)

Donald Trump: "I have a great relationship with the blacks. Ive always had a great relationship with the blacks." (There are so many stupid Trump quotes it's hard to pick one: he's a parody of himself)

George Foulkes: "The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.

Interviewer: "Is that a bad thing?

Lord George Foulkes: No, but they are doing it deliberately.

(Foulkes is a c**t of the highest order, and deserves to be banished to the kind of nursing home that Panorama would make a special about)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly did Ms Lamont mean by that remark.

It was during a debate about the bedroom tax.

Nicola Sturgeon asked her if the bedroom tax would have been introduced it Scotland was independent. Lamont replied that it could well be introduced if the people of Scotland thought it was a good idea and said that we in Scotland aren't genetically programmed to decide otherwise.

What exactly did Ms Lamont mean by that remark.

I think (and I'm being charitable) that she meant that in Scotland we are no more likely to support "good" policies than people in the rest of the U.K., and therefore we should let them choose our sovereign governments for us. We're not likely to make better choices, so let's not even try.

I think she meant we're not genetically programmed to make better decisions than our English brethren. I'd have to disagree however.

Even so, her sentence doesn't mean that, it was a fucking holocaust of a thing to say

Any chance you could explain this comment?

Surprised there's a lack of George Bush Jnr in here - were he a satirist he'd go down as one of the best ever. edit: think Berlusconi has to have a few belters too, come to think of it.

In hindsight, going back to my Higher History here - Neville Chamberlain and "peace in our time" while waving a bit of paper about is up there.

"How exactly would an oil fund be funded", made all the better by the facepalm from Swinney and incredulous laughter from Sturgeon.

"Prepare for government".

Alistair Carmichael on the news earlier - something along the lines of "We're already bombing Iraq so we need to be careful not to overstate the significance of last night's vote. But it is still hugely significant".

Any chance you could explain this comment?

Genetically isn't the right word. A smaller administrative area and population means that the electorate is more able to shift the country to changing circumstance. It's why the majority of the most prosperous nations are the smallest. It's also why the broad brush which works for the SE of England is so damaging to the rest of the U.K.

James Danforth Quayle:

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. ... No, not our nation's, but in World War II. I mean, we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history"

"It's wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago."

"Bank failures are caused by depositors who don't deposit enough money to cover losses due to mismanagement."

"It's a very good historical book about history."

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

"What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that is."

"The global importance of the Middle East is that it keeps the Far East and the Near East from encroaching on each other."

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix."

"Unfortunately, the people of Louisiana are not racists."

"Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child."

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."

Archived