Gender Pronouns

Has there been any call for a new word to be used to refer to people who don't want to be referred to by particular gendered pronouns?

Seems to me that would be better than 'they' which to me would make me think someone was referring to multiple people.

Either that or just get rid of gendered pronouns all together. It seems to be becoming increasingly unacceptable to refer to female actors or waiters as actresses or waitresses, perhaps it would be preferable to go down that route. I can't imagine many people care about the specific word, rather they would care about the implication of it. 'He' implies male, but if it is used to refer to all people of all genders then it would lose that gender-specific implication and surely would become acceptable for all people who don't identify as male (whether born that way or not).

My biggest issue with the transgender situation is it seems to imply that gender matters, and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that. Getting rid of gender completely seems to be the logical path for society to take.

Then how do we compare individuals statistically?

Gender is pretty useful in that respect.

Fine.This means "they" can be charged double for travelling on public transport, admission to football matches, etc.etc?

Quite obviously not.

'They' in this context means something different to 'they' in the context of referring to multiple people.

Archived